Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > FJ Cruisers

Notices

4x4 really needed?

Old 08-28-2012, 01:07 PM   #22
Pay it Forward
Graham has a brilliant futureGraham has a brilliant futureGraham has a brilliant futureGraham has a brilliant futureGraham has a brilliant futureGraham has a brilliant futureGraham has a brilliant futureGraham has a brilliant futureGraham has a brilliant futureGraham has a brilliant futureGraham has a brilliant future

Graham's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
A locked rear will not go where a 4wd can go even if that 4wd is open at both axles.

Get it if you want it. I don't use mine too often but when I do the truck is stressed less because you don't have to mash it to get through the obstacle. If all you do is simple dirt roads then don't get it.

Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.
^This!
Old 08-28-2012, 02:12 PM   #23
TiYo is on a distinguished road
Name: Ken
TiYo's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by macgyver View Post
My opinion is already stated.. Better to have it and not use it than to need it and not have it.

I drive around in 2wd 99% of the time but when I do need it, it's there. The great thing is that it's there at the turn of a knob when you need it.
So is the turning of the knob the same on the FJ as it is on the Taco?
Old 08-28-2012, 02:28 PM   #24
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiYo View Post
Yup.
Old 08-28-2012, 02:55 PM   #26
Class IV Category 8 Elite VIP Member (Only)
BradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bradley
BradleyScottETC's Tacoma Gallery
I wouldn't get the 4x4. There's like 3 extra zerk fittings you have to grease. Totally not worth it.
Old 08-28-2012, 03:05 PM   #27
Mr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: Active MK 02-09, ME 09-10, Reserve ME 10-11, ENS 11-Current.  Federal Civilian 10-Current
Mr. Brown's Tacoma Gallery
I had my truck for 6 years and I never absolutely needed 4x4. "Why?" you may ask. It's because: driving skills>4x4. If 4x4 was necessary, it wouldn't be optional. For mild off-roading, you should be fine.

I drive off-road for work a lot. All of our trucks are 4x4. The only time I've ever used it was when I did something dumb.
Old 08-28-2012, 03:14 PM   #28
the full Monty
Manwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Manwithoutaplan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradleyScottETC View Post
I wouldn't get the 4x4. There's like 3 extra zerk fittings you have to grease. Totally not worth it.
really u are baseing not getting 4wd on zerks wtf.
Old 08-28-2012, 03:35 PM   #30
macgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brad
macgyver's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiYo View Post
Didn't realize this was the FJ forum...No it's not the same. The FJ is a manual transfer case. The 4runner however, is the same.
Old 08-28-2012, 03:45 PM   #31
TiYo's Tacoma Gallery
Yea I'd realize that I probably may never need it but just having 4x4 gives the peace of mind. Not only that but it gives me an excuse to venture out further and take it places where I couldn't go before. I know I'll want to find a place where I can take it to the sand dunes, etc...

Im thinking 4x4 equates to Fun!
Old 08-28-2012, 04:04 PM   #32
Power Top
MonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: K9 Handler
MonkeyProof's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to MonkeyProof Send a message via Skype™ to MonkeyProof
Quote:
Uh oh. PM and DK might tag team on your ass.
Yes YES ...Bring out the gimp!!
Old 08-28-2012, 04:06 PM   #33
Power Top
MonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: K9 Handler
MonkeyProof's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to MonkeyProof Send a message via Skype™ to MonkeyProof
Quote:
Originally Posted by macgyver View Post
Didn't realize this was the FJ forum...No it's not the same. The FJ is a manual transfer case. The 4runner however, is the same.
Does it matter what forum? Still a toyota. I would rather have the manual j- shift style tcase over what I have now ..just saying
Old 08-28-2012, 04:24 PM   #35
Drop it Drop it Low
Dmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedDmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedDmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedDmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedDmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedDmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedDmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedDmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedDmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedDmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedDmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Branden
Dmonkey's Tacoma Gallery
6x6 is where it's at.
Old 08-28-2012, 05:06 PM   #36
BradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manwithoutaplan View Post
really u are baseing not getting 4wd on zerks wtf.
It was a joke. Sorry, shoulda put a {sarcasm} {/sarcasm} in there.
Old 08-28-2012, 05:08 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Brown View Post
I had my truck for 6 years and I never absolutely needed 4x4. "Why?" you may ask. It's because: driving skills>4x4. If 4x4 was necessary, it wouldn't be optional.
Old 08-28-2012, 05:24 PM   #38
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Brown View Post
I had my truck for 6 years and I never absolutely needed 4x4. "Why?" you may ask. It's because: driving derp>4x4. If 4x4 was necessary, it wouldn't be optional. For mild mall crawling, you should be fine.

I drive malls for work a lot. All of our trucks are 4x4. The only time I've ever used it was when I thought my driving skills were good.
FIFY
Old 08-29-2012, 10:03 AM   #39
TiYo's Tacoma Gallery
my offroad driving skills may not be on par with yours yet so i might be safer with the 4x4 lol
Old 08-29-2012, 01:26 PM   #40

Quote:
FIFY