Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > FJ Cruisers

Notices

FJ towing

Old 12-17-2012, 10:20 AM   #1
New Mexico Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedNew Mexico Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedNew Mexico Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedNew Mexico Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedNew Mexico Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedNew Mexico Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedNew Mexico Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedNew Mexico Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedNew Mexico Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedNew Mexico Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedNew Mexico Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Retired
Name: Fred
New Mexico Taco's Tacoma Gallery
FJ towing

Thinking about getting an FJ but I have one reservation. How is backing up a trailer with one? I know about the rear visibility issue.
Any input would be appreciated.
Old 12-17-2012, 12:05 PM   #2
NutZac is on a distinguished road

Firefighter: 2nd Battalion
Name: Zach
NutZac's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by New Mexico Taco View Post
Thinking about getting an FJ but I have one reservation. How is backing up a trailer with one? I know about the rear visibility issue.
Any input would be appreciated.
I had a 2008 FJ for about 2.5 years before I went to a taco. I have to say that backing up my Jetski trailer was a pain in the A$$ with all the blind spots. The mirrors are fairly large, but the rear window offers almost no visibility. Good luck!
Old 12-17-2012, 12:06 PM   #3
THE OLD TACO721 with a new name.
TnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Zach
TnRedNeck721's Tacoma Gallery
buddy has fj. and a 5’x10’ trailer. also with back up cam it’s not that hard. not much harder than the taco with out back up cam.
Old 12-18-2012, 08:58 PM   #4
VegasNick is a glorious beacon of lightVegasNick is a glorious beacon of lightVegasNick is a glorious beacon of lightVegasNick is a glorious beacon of lightVegasNick is a glorious beacon of light
Name: Nick
VegasNick's Tacoma Gallery
I pull this:

No issues at all. Backs up fine, pulls easy. Just be ready for a few miles per gallon drop off.
Old 12-19-2012, 07:54 AM   #5
tlh178 is on a distinguished road
Name: terry
tlh178's Tacoma Gallery
i have a 2007 fjc and tow 3 different trailers. my boat and quad trailers are easy. towing my 16ft enclosed trailer is not hard to back up, but the gas mileage is bad. like 8 mpg!
Old 12-19-2012, 07:57 AM   #6
Mayor of TW
Delmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Vet
Name: Mike
Delmarva's Tacoma Gallery
Towed a 6x12 from MD to TX in my old FJC... towed fine without issues... no problems whatsoever
Old 12-20-2012, 11:26 AM   #7
KF5TUQ
BERTHDZ has much to be proud ofBERTHDZ has much to be proud ofBERTHDZ has much to be proud ofBERTHDZ has much to be proud ofBERTHDZ has much to be proud ofBERTHDZ has much to be proud ofBERTHDZ has much to be proud ofBERTHDZ has much to be proud of

Name: Bert
BERTHDZ's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by NutZac View Post
I had a 2008 FJ for about 2.5 years before I went to a taco. I have to say that backing up my Jetski trailer was a pain in the A$$ with all the blind spots. The mirrors are fairly large, but the rear window offers almost no visibility. Good luck!
X2 about being a pain in the a$$

I just bought my wife a brand new 2013 4x4 FJ Cruiser with tow package and back up camera about 3 weeks ago and as soon as we drove off the lot we went to pick up my boat for an overnight stay at our fishing cabin. I will say that I love the back up camera because it makes it so much easier to back up the FJ right to the trailer without any help what so ever. That being said, that is all it is really meant for and really serves no purpose after you are hitched to a trailer because after you are hitched and backing up with a trailer all you see is the trailer. Luckily when we got to the county park to launch the boat there were not too many people in line BUT it did take me a few attempts to get the boat launched. I felt like a rookie all over again and could tell some of the people waiting were getting annoyed because the sun was already setting. The blind spots suck and the back window offers little help especially with a boat or trailer blocking the view. I dont have any trouble with my first gen taco or silverado but I'm so used to those vehicles. I guess like with anything practice will make perfect.

BTW it did tow the boat fine without any problems

Here is her FJ the day we got it with my boat attached:

Old 12-23-2012, 06:58 PM   #8
Limited
lucky73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlucky73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlucky73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlucky73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlucky73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlucky73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlucky73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlucky73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlucky73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlucky73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlucky73 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

lucky73's Tacoma Gallery
what color red is that FJ pulling the boat?
Old 12-24-2012, 05:58 AM   #9
KF5TUQ
BERTHDZ has much to be proud ofBERTHDZ has much to be proud ofBERTHDZ has much to be proud ofBERTHDZ has much to be proud ofBERTHDZ has much to be proud ofBERTHDZ has much to be proud ofBERTHDZ has much to be proud ofBERTHDZ has much to be proud of

BERTHDZ's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky73 View Post

It's not red it's orange. Only one i've seen in that color where i live

Pretty much the same color as your Taco in your avatar
Old 01-02-2013, 10:36 AM   #10
Mudfly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMudfly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMudfly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMudfly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMudfly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMudfly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMudfly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMudfly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMudfly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMudfly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMudfly is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Rick
Mudfly's Tacoma Gallery
I tow my 20' lobster boat with my wife's FJ when we go on longer trips. After a few times backing in at the ramps I got use to it and now it is no more trouble than my F150 pickup. At tight ramps it is actually easier to maneuver the trailer with the FJ's shorter wheelbase.
Old 01-03-2013, 09:05 PM   #11
EDJY has a spectacular aura aboutEDJY has a spectacular aura about
Name: Elliott
EDJY's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky73 View Post
magma
Old 01-05-2013, 07:16 PM   #12
KF5TUQ

BERTHDZ's Tacoma Gallery
Section of window sticker with color info
Attached Thumbnails
FJ towing-uploadfromtaptalk1357442148637.jpg