1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

FJ Cruiser Traction Control

Discussion in 'FJ Cruisers' started by EDJY, Dec 24, 2012.

1. Dec 24, 2012 at 10:50 PM
    EDJY

EDJY [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Elliott
    Bay Area, CA
    Vehicle:
    2016 DCSB TRD OR MT
    So I have been looking at new trucks after my last one was totaled. I briefly climbed in a FJ after some Christmas shopping today. I noticed that pretty much all the traction control buttons and locking diff buttons were gone from where they were in the past. Then I noticed this weird nob with speed settings on the headliner with some of the controls up there. Anyone have any idea how these controls work? Other than the obvious, set the control to what speed your going is there something special about these controls?

Here is a ebay listing that I found that shows the nob. Look through the photos, its one of the middle ones.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Toyo...rs_Trucks&hash=item19d7ac35d6#ht_13445wt_1165

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  2. Dec 25, 2012 at 9:12 AM
    EDJY

Member:
    First Name:
    Elliott
    Bay Area, CA
    Vehicle:
    2016 DCSB TRD OR MT
    Bump, also that FJ is badass. I want a TT

also after thinking about it, is this a hill brake assist control?

3. Dec 25, 2012 at 9:24 AM
    PcBuilder14

PcBuilder14 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brent
    Southern New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tacoma TRD Off Road 4x4
    That's definitely something specific to the trail teams edition or the 2013 models, because my moms 2011 FJ has none of those extra controls up top. All her locker and traction controls are buttons.

4. Dec 25, 2012 at 9:26 AM
    EDJY

Member:
    First Name:
    Elliott
    Bay Area, CA
    Vehicle:
    2016 DCSB TRD OR MT
    Yes, yes it is. That doesn't really help answer my question...

5. Dec 25, 2012 at 10:26 AM
    EDJY

Member:
    First Name:
    Elliott
    Bay Area, CA
    Vehicle:
    2016 DCSB TRD OR MT
    Oh. That makes sense. thx

6. Dec 25, 2012 at 9:49 PM
    4x4Runner

4x4Runner Sam’s gone, man. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Drunken Sailor
    Not north, not south, not west, mostly east
    Vehicle:
    1WD
    nuttin fancy
    Yes, it's the crawls control they are porting over to the FJ from the 4Runner. If I'm not mistaken the KDSS, Crawl Control and Multi Terrain select in the 4Runner Trail's comes from the Land Cruisers.

Here's a shot of the 4Runners TE's Crawl Control and Multi Terrain Select knobs. You can also see the VSC button, A-Trac and Diff Lock buttons.

[​IMG]

7. Dec 26, 2012 at 5:02 AM
    andy2003

andy2003 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    WV
    Vehicle:
    16 4Runner SR5
    Yeah same control our 11 TE 4runner has. You can dial in the terrain setting select how fast you want to go take foot off brake and hang on. It will only be available on the trail models just like in the 4runner. Other models will have locking rear diff and atrac as an option like before In the old location.

8. Dec 28, 2012 at 2:41 PM
    OffroadToy

OffroadToy old, forgetful, and decomposing

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 Offroad DCSB AT- VSC,TRAC,HAC, & DAC
    Icon Stage 8, ECGS Bushing, Timbren bump stops, Crown braided/extended brake lines, Overland Custom Design sway bar links, rear differential breather extension, oil filter drain hose, a/c drain hose extension & reroute, front windows tint, Cat Security, XPEL headlight/fog & grill protection, OEM block heater, RCBS illuminated 4X4 switch,
  9. Jan 2, 2013 at 7:07 AM
    dionysis

dionysis G.A.S. (Gear Acquisition Syndrome) sufferer

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Northern Colorado
    Vehicle:
    08 DCSB SWB Auto V6 Stock, for now
    I was just at the dealer the other day and the 13' non trail team FJ's that have the locker & hill assist have the knobs up there. I think it is awesome!

10. Jan 14, 2013 at 3:58 PM
    Natetroknot

Natetroknot Experiencing TW at several WTFs per thread

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Dubuque, IA
    Vehicle:
    19 Sport AC-6MT
    Crawl control is on every Auto trans 2013 FJ, Trail Team edition or not. If manual trans, no crawl control regardless of package.

EDIT: not EVERY FJ...requires upgrade, but unavailable on vehicles with manual trans.

11. May 25, 2013 at 5:42 PM
    lucky73

lucky73 Limited

Member:
    TTSE only?

12. May 31, 2013 at 10:23 AM
    DdayIsNear

DdayIsNear Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Crazy
    NW Jersey
    Vehicle:
    TRD Offroad
    All pro sliders

yes trail team edition only

13. Jun 21, 2013 at 2:36 PM
    The4kbeast

The4kbeast New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Southern California
    I work with Toyota, so I'll chime in with the 411:

For 2013, Crawl Control is available on BOTH auto and manual 4x4 models and is included in the Off-Road Package and the Trail Teams Special Edition Package:

Details on Off-Road Package - includes Trail-tuned Bilstein® shock absorbers, Electronically controlled locking rear differential, Active Traction Control (A-TRAC), Crawl Control (CRAWL), floating-ball Multi-Information Display with inclinometer, compass, and outside temperature (6-Speed Manual model requires 17-in. alloy wheels)

Details on Trail Teams Special Edition -- includes Cement Grey exterior color including roof top; black bumpers, grille, door handles, rock rails; trail-tuned Bilstein® shock absorbers, electronically controlled locking rear differential [FJ_MT], Active Traction Control (A-TRAC), Crawl Control (CRAWL), remote keyless entry system, grey-accented door trim, steering wheel and fabric seat inserts, floating-ball Multi-Information Display with inclinometer, compass and outside temperature, cruise control, roof rack, auto-dimming rearview mirror with integrated backup camera display, leather-trimmed steering wheel, 115V/400W AC power outlet, TRD 16-in. off-road beadlock-style wheels with black finishing with BFGoodrich® All-Terrain LT265/75R16 tires, wheel locks, Daytime Running Lights (DRL), Trail Teams badge, rear wiper, and rear privacy glass on rear side, quarter, and rear door windows, Trail Teams badge and doorsill

Electronic rear locker is standard on manual 4x4s, and is optional on 4x2 and 4x4 FJs

If you're just looking for ATRAC, which is a traction control system in 4WD that DOESN'T cut throttle, it is included in the Upgrade Package, which also includes 17-in. alloy wheels with P265/70R17 tires, Active Traction Control (A-TRAC) (4x4 models only), electronically controlled locking rear differential , 115V/400-watt AC power outlet, JBL® AM/FM 6-disc CD changer with 11 speakers in seven locations including subwoofer, leather-trimmed steering wheel, exterior color-keyed door trim inserts, floating-ball Multi-Information Display with inclinometer, compass, and outside temperature, shift and transfer levers with silver accents (automatic transmissions only, transfer lever on 4x4 model only), and rear parking assist sonar

There's your VERY thorough answer... hope it helps!

To Top