Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > FJ Cruisers

Notices

iv'e got the FJ bug

Old 01-13-2013, 11:26 PM   #1
anotherreject is one of the sharper tools in the shedanotherreject is one of the sharper tools in the shedanotherreject is one of the sharper tools in the shedanotherreject is one of the sharper tools in the shedanotherreject is one of the sharper tools in the shedanotherreject is one of the sharper tools in the shedanotherreject is one of the sharper tools in the shedanotherreject is one of the sharper tools in the shedanotherreject is one of the sharper tools in the shedanotherreject is one of the sharper tools in the shedanotherreject is one of the sharper tools in the shed
anotherreject's Tacoma Gallery
iv'e got the FJ bug

few Q's?
would you buy a used fj thats already been modded? how do they hold up after being lifted with larger tires?
is this a good deal? - http://www.hanovertoyota.com/certifi...527db6225d.htm

i should probaly email the dealer and get specifics on the lift kit but iv'e got a feeling i'd get a better answer if i asked my dog.
Old 01-13-2013, 11:31 PM   #2
Custom Tacoma bumpers & more for your offroad toy
RelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
RelentlessTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Have you driven an FJ?
If not, go test drive a couple. I found I really liked the FJ... until I drove a couple. They kind of handle like a boat, and have horrible visibilty. If you can live with that, then go for it by all means but I know I was surprised by the way they drive. Entirely different than 4runners even though they're nearly identical under the body.
Old 01-13-2013, 11:32 PM   #3
Iron Beard
Kyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jake
Kyouto42's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Kyouto42 Send a message via MSN to Kyouto42
Well, the only thing I can say is... almost all of those mods are mall crawler crap that would be useless off road.... so it's probably a street queen (aka, probably pampered and a decent used vehicle). That said, I wouldn't pay much over kbb for it...

Also I kinda disagree.... I thought it felt more refined than how my truck was stock. Blind spots are horribad though...
Old 01-14-2013, 09:18 AM   #4
Limited
lucky73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlucky73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlucky73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlucky73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlucky73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlucky73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlucky73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlucky73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlucky73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlucky73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlucky73 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

lucky73's Tacoma Gallery
the latest FJ's have rear view cams and I got used to the blind spots and i've found extra caution at all the time helps.
Old 01-14-2013, 09:32 AM   #5
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Normally, I won't go for previously-modified vehicles but there are some exceptions. I look for things like trail damage and blatant abuse. That thing looks like it was lifted more for looks than anything (based on steps instead of sliders, bull bar, cosmetic wheels). Just being slightly lifted and slightly oversized tires won't hurt it if everything was installed properly and well maintained.
Old 01-14-2013, 09:41 AM   #6
4x4Taco2012 is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4Taco2012 is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4Taco2012 is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4Taco2012 is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4Taco2012 is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4Taco2012 is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4Taco2012 is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4Taco2012 is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4Taco2012 is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4Taco2012 is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4Taco2012 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy:
4x4Taco2012's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by RelentlessTaco View Post
Have you driven an FJ?
If not, go test drive a couple. I found I really liked the FJ... until I drove a couple. They kind of handle like a boat, and have horrible visibilty. If you can live with that, then go for it by all means but I know I was surprised by the way they drive. Entirely different than 4runners even though they're nearly identical under the body.

X2. A few years ago I was contemplating trading my '07 T4R for an FJ...until I drove one. I was quite surprised at how different they drove from the T4R since their drivetrains are quite similar. The reduced visibility was also a big issue for me...couldn't deal with all of the blind spots. I know it's not an issue for everyone but it was for me. Good luck...it's a sharp ride.
Old 01-14-2013, 09:42 AM   #7
Valsmere is one of the sharper tools in the shedValsmere is one of the sharper tools in the shedValsmere is one of the sharper tools in the shedValsmere is one of the sharper tools in the shedValsmere is one of the sharper tools in the shedValsmere is one of the sharper tools in the shedValsmere is one of the sharper tools in the shedValsmere is one of the sharper tools in the shedValsmere is one of the sharper tools in the shedValsmere is one of the sharper tools in the shedValsmere is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Brian
Valsmere's Tacoma Gallery
I have a fj 07 TRD slightly modded, just cosmetic. Keep in mind the gas milage is bad not sure if you have researched yet. Visibility and blind spots are bad but nothing you couldn't get used to. Not sure what you have now but the back seats are terrible. I have kept mine folded down most of the time. They are cool but there are short comings like with everything else. Test drive if you can. I wouldn't buy used though unless I knew the previous owner real well. People do beat the snot out of them. Plus whi did the work on the mods. Just food for thought. Good luck!

That one looks more like a mall cruiser though but really look at all that you can.
Old 01-14-2013, 10:39 AM   #8
Limited
lucky73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlucky73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlucky73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlucky73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlucky73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlucky73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlucky73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlucky73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlucky73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlucky73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlucky73 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

lucky73's Tacoma Gallery
"Keep in mind the gas milage is bad" - you may want to qualify/define bad before you make a broad statement like that...gas mileage = how you drive.

if you get less than 200miles per tank then look up the thermostat fix.
Old 01-14-2013, 10:44 AM   #9
Limited

lucky73's Tacoma Gallery
my suggestions regarding the BUG:
1) take your time buying
2) set a budget for vehicle, and a budget for upgrades
3) write out your dream used truck and shop for it. be specific
as an example - 08 or 09 AT w/ less than 25k miles for less than $22k, no mods in black or blue
4) test drive as many as possible
5) check out your local FJ club
6) when you find the truck you want to buy test drive it 50 miles and get it on a lift and look under it carefully.
Old 01-14-2013, 05:29 PM   #10
Valsmere is one of the sharper tools in the shedValsmere is one of the sharper tools in the shedValsmere is one of the sharper tools in the shedValsmere is one of the sharper tools in the shedValsmere is one of the sharper tools in the shedValsmere is one of the sharper tools in the shedValsmere is one of the sharper tools in the shedValsmere is one of the sharper tools in the shedValsmere is one of the sharper tools in the shedValsmere is one of the sharper tools in the shedValsmere is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Brian
Valsmere's Tacoma Gallery
Forgot to mention check the inner fenders on that FJ. It will be in the engine compartment under the hood. SOME not all have a bulge/cracking issue on that year. Mine doesn't again some do some don't there is a huge posting/ discussion on another message board about this.
I also am not aware of the thermostat fix in regards of the gas milage issue I will have to look into that myself. Good luck.
Old 01-14-2013, 05:31 PM   #11
Mr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Hermmy
Mr Salty's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by RelentlessTaco View Post
Have you driven an FJ?
^^^^^ that right there
Old 01-15-2013, 12:10 PM   #12
Limited

lucky73's Tacoma Gallery
thermostat write-up here:

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/fj-...read-here.html
Old 01-16-2013, 01:09 PM   #13
stucksucksnayota is just really nicestucksucksnayota is just really nicestucksucksnayota is just really nicestucksucksnayota is just really nice

Name: Barry
stucksucksnayota's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to stucksucksnayota
I have recently acquired the same bug as you have. I have had a Tacoma for the last 7 years and I'm ready for something a little different. I recently went and test drove an FJ at the dealers lot and yes drives and handles differently then my Tacoma does. But it also feels very roomy in the front seats and I think the inside looks awesome.
I'm not 100% sold on them yet and I have not decide what I'm going to buy next ether another Tacoma or an FJ. But my thinking is they hold there resale value very well so why not buy one if you hate it sell it and hopefully you won't lose to much on it.
And I def would not be scared to buy a used FJ but I think it's just like anything else used you need to know what your looking for and realize that yes some of these vehicles are probably abused off road more then other types but there are probably many of them that have never left the pavement.
Old 01-16-2013, 01:35 PM   #14
New Mexico Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedNew Mexico Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedNew Mexico Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedNew Mexico Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedNew Mexico Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedNew Mexico Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedNew Mexico Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedNew Mexico Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedNew Mexico Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedNew Mexico Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedNew Mexico Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Retired
Name: Fred
New Mexico Taco's Tacoma Gallery
FJ Bug

Glad to see there are others out there with the same dilemma. I have been driving Tacomas for twelve years and am very happy with them. Just wanted a change of pace vehicle. Rumor is the 2014 Tacoma will have a 3.5 liter engine. Not crazy about that. Test drove a FJ and liked it. Blind spots are no worse than a pickup with a camper shell. Drove the wife's 2000 F150 with a camper shell and couldn't see anything behind me.
Think the next purchase is a FJ.
Old 01-18-2013, 03:41 PM   #15
doubletaco is just really nicedoubletaco is just really nicedoubletaco is just really nicedoubletaco is just really nicedoubletaco is just really nice

doubletaco's Tacoma Gallery
I really like the FJ been looking at them for a few month's. Working on getting the price down on it.
Old 01-18-2013, 03:43 PM   #16
650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Police
Name: Mike
650H1's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by doubletaco View Post
I really like the FJ been looking at them for a few month's. Working on getting the price down on it.
x2, i have the FJ bug as well... and my dealership has a nice one FS.
Old 01-18-2013, 03:47 PM   #17
dont tread on me!
Kolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: kevin
Kolunatic's Tacoma Gallery
We had an FJ. I liked driving it when I could. Gas mileage sucks. If you can handle that,get it.