Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > FJ Cruisers

Notices

HELP about Trading in Tacoma for FJ

Old 09-12-2013, 01:20 PM   #1
motorhead1257 is on a distinguished road
Name: Les
motorhead1257's Tacoma Gallery
HELP about Trading in Tacoma for FJ

Hey all, I'm tampering with the idea of trading my Tacoma in for an FJ. My question Jim if you take on this mission is Which model is the right one "if there is one" and why. The one I'm looking at is an 07 Model with all the Hooplah on it with the 6spd. Manual. What I mean by all the stuff is it's got the A-Trac, R.R. Diff. Sub-woof and clutch assist button and I think something else hanging out over there by the clutch assist thingy. They're asking $17,000 with 105,000 miles on it.

Thanks for any input on this.

Les
Old 09-12-2013, 06:25 PM   #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by OffroadToy View Post
I'm far from a expert on this but i would go with the automatic... you can switch from 2wd to 4wd and it has a separate shift lever for both. I believe the manuals are full time 4wd.
I think it's the other way around, however, the one I drove could be shifted on the fly between 2H and 4H
Old 09-13-2013, 01:25 PM   #5
Shinty Killer
Gabex35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGabex35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGabex35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGabex35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGabex35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGabex35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGabex35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGabex35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGabex35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGabex35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGabex35 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Marines:
Name: Gabe
Gabex35's Tacoma Gallery
Offroad toy is correct. the gearing on the manuals are different too and from my experience, get worse MPG.

also, the 2007 models have been known to have week third members and many have blown them. If i remember reading correctly, there is a range in build dates that are affected. i would do my research. as far as the other stuff, most FJ's are the same as far as offroad options are concerned.
Old 09-13-2013, 02:59 PM   #6
The dog did it...I swear!
OffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Location: High Desert... land of junipers, sage brush, and lava rock
OffroadToy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabex35 View Post
Offroad toy is correct. the gearing on the manuals are different too and from my experience, get worse MPG.

also, the 2007 models have been known to have week third members and many have blown them. If i remember reading correctly, there is a range in build dates that are affected. i would do my research. as far as the other stuff, most FJ's are the same as far as offroad options are concerned.
What about ATrac in FJ's for that year? My 07 Taco came with Trac... i think it was a couple years later ATrac came standard. Was it available in the earlier year FJ's?
Old 09-14-2013, 11:17 AM   #7
haddix will become famous soon enoughhaddix will become famous soon enough

haddix's Tacoma Gallery
My 07 FJ came with a-trac and rear locker.
Old 09-15-2013, 10:42 AM   #8
Here's what I did. I found this 07 and it's a 6spd with the A-Trac and R.R. Diff lock. I didn't know about the post on the "third member" stuff till afterwards. It's pretty cool. I did however, realize I didn't have my information correct when I mentioned shift on the fly. I didn't know how these were set up. The FJ I have is set up as ya'll mentioned "Full Time" and what I thought was 2H and 4H is not. Thanks for not busting my chops hahaha. Anyhow, it's got the option of 4H which is the "Full time" mode on the T-case, which is your standard running around town and highway stuff on pavement or good dry tight surfaces. Then you have the 4H-L, which is the "Full Time" but locked in with the "absence of ABS, this is the part the triggers our VSC OFF mode lighting up the light. And then you have your 4L-L with the A-Trac, and R.R. Diff-Lock options. Now anyone correct me if I'm wrong here cause I'm still trying to wrap my head around all this stuff. I'm new to this 4x4 stuff, so far, I'm loving every minute of it. Oh yeah, If I'm not mistaken the A-Trac and RR Diff Lock can only be activated when in 4L is that correct or am I missing something here?

Thanks for all the help and info ya'll offer up to us noobs.
Old 09-17-2013, 10:45 AM   #9
virginiamarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedvirginiamarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedvirginiamarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedvirginiamarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedvirginiamarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedvirginiamarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedvirginiamarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedvirginiamarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedvirginiamarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedvirginiamarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedvirginiamarine is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Marines: Retired SNCO
virginiamarine's Tacoma Gallery
It doesn't matter if you have Atrac...it's a button mod for 4x4s. Manuals get worse gas mileage as previously stated. Atrac works in 4wd, not just 4low.
Old 09-19-2013, 05:57 AM   #10
mike4 is on a distinguished road
Name: Mike
mike4's Tacoma Gallery
If off-road use is involved there's no comparison.
Wheelbase is what makes tacoma better than jeep ,frontier,even range rovers have failed at terrain that tacoma negotiated effortlessly. That my off-road opinion. You may have other reasons which validate a change to fjc. Nice vehicle.
Old 09-21-2013, 11:09 AM   #11
Yeah, I'm so glad I got the 6spd Man. I know I loose gas mileage a little but for a simple 3-4 miles per gallon, who gives a rats backside about that as long as you get what you LIKE and WANT in a 4x4. I just don't like the idea of maybe getting stranded and can push start it to home rather than go "Dang, why didn't I get a Stick so I could push it off if I had to?" hahaha

I do so love this truck. I was talking to a Tech and he told me, (don't know how true) that the FJ and Tacoma are exactly the same with the exception of the "Body" on the frame. It's like a Tacoma Access Cab frame with all the goodies. Anyhow, I like the idea of being able to crawl from the back if I'm sleeping in it, to the front and drive off without having to get outside. It holds much more than you think, however, naturally it won't hold what the Taco would with a topper, so the 4Dr. Taco with all the bells and whistles would be the so called "Ultimate" in 4x4 off-road fun with the FJC running a tight runner up depending on who you are and what you're after. :-)
Old 09-21-2013, 11:17 AM   #12
No amount of balls on earth can hit you.
Rupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Rupp1's Tacoma Gallery
Glad you got what you wanted. I drove one similar, just decided to go back with another Tacoma.
Old 09-23-2013, 05:09 AM   #13
virginiamarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedvirginiamarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedvirginiamarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedvirginiamarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedvirginiamarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedvirginiamarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedvirginiamarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedvirginiamarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedvirginiamarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedvirginiamarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedvirginiamarine is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Marines: Retired SNCO
virginiamarine's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike4 View Post
If off-road use is involved there's no comparison.
Wheelbase is what makes tacoma better than jeep ,frontier,even range rovers have failed at terrain that tacoma negotiated effortlessly. That my off-road opinion. You may have other reasons which validate a change to fjc. Nice vehicle.

Tacoma is better than a jeep for offroad? I guess that's true for desert sand driving. Don't get me wrong, I love the taco, but it's not better than any short wheel based vehicle for off roading and negotiating extreme angle obstacles. Just try climbing a high incline and watch the bumper get ripped off. To OP, glad you like your new vehicle. You have a lot of options if you want to mod it.
Old 09-23-2013, 05:36 AM   #14
My pee parts itch
dexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

dexterdog's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I do so love this truck. I was talking to a Tech and he told me, (don't know how true) that the FJ and Tacoma are exactly the same with the exception of the "Body" on the frame.
I think an FJ has a closer relationship to a 4Runner than the Tacoma.

OP, glad you enjoy your new to you FJ. I do really like mine except for the chrome wheels that came with it but that is easily changeable. IIRC, '07 models that were manufactured in '06 were at higher risk of having the weak 3rd member. Also, some '07 models suffer from cracked inner front fenders. AFAIK there aren't any other real big issues to worry about. Have fun with it.
Old 10-09-2013, 08:08 PM   #15
Greg Graffin 2016
WhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Andre
WhatThePho?'s Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to WhatThePho?
Look on the inside fender of the Fj. In the engine bay. Most 07-09 are bent and cracked...

The awd system differs from 4wd. Just google 4wd vs awd. Too long for me to type.
Old 10-10-2013, 07:35 PM   #16
mike4 is on a distinguished road
Name: Mike
mike4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead1257 View Post
Yeah, I'm so glad I got the 6spd Man. I know I loose gas mileage a little but for a simple 3-4 miles per gallon, who gives a rats backside about that as long as you get what you LIKE and WANT in a 4x4. I just don't like the idea of maybe getting stranded and can push start it to home rather than go "Dang, why didn't I get a Stick so I could push it off if I had to?" hahaha

I do so love this truck. I was talking to a Tech and he told me, (don't know how true) that the FJ and Tacoma are exactly the same with the exception of the "Body" on the frame. It's like a Tacoma Access Cab frame with all the goodies. Anyhow, I like the idea of being able to crawl from the back if I'm sleeping in it, to the front and drive off without having to get outside. It holds much more than you think, however, naturally it won't hold what the Taco would with a topper, so the 4Dr. Taco with all the bells and whistles would be the so called "Ultimate" in 4x4 off-road fun with the FJC running a tight runner up depending on who you are and what you're after. :-)
The FJ caught my attention in a very big way when I first seen one,oh back in2005 maybe, I remember the moment ,not the exact year. It was powder blue.
Color not for me but the truck was unique in every way.
Tacoma is my thing though. You make all valid points in your likes and needs.
Enjoy and be safe
Old 11-21-2013, 02:08 PM   #17
Quote:
Originally Posted by dexterdog View Post
I think an FJ has a closer relationship to a 4Runner than the Tacoma.

OP, glad you enjoy your new to you FJ. I do really like mine except for the chrome wheels that came with it but that is easily changeable. IIRC, '07 models that were manufactured in '06 were at higher risk of having the weak 3rd member. Also, some '07 models suffer from cracked inner front fenders. AFAIK there aren't any other real big issues to worry about. Have fun with it.
My FJ has a build date of 03/07. I've not had trouble with it at all and I do want to mod it, just don't know what to do first and don't what will FIUj in a bad way. I'm taking automotive electrical classes and Brakes and between the two I'm understanding how this all works and it's sick what is being done with PCM systems to control traction and skid and all that stuff. Now, one thing that makes me really go Hmmmmmmm, is this thing I read about the A-Trac and the R.R. Diff not being activated unless your under 8mph. If I mod something sending a signal to the ECM and tell it (falsely) that I'm in LL when I'm really in HL then wouldn't that mess it up if the A-trac and or R.R. Diff lock are activated? I'm like, If I'm offroad and wheels are spinning and all of a sudden get traction something can really go sour in a fast way.

Enlighten me here folks. hahaha
Old 11-21-2013, 02:42 PM   #18
LRSilverbullet is on a distinguished road
Law Enforcement:
Name: Dave
LRSilverbullet's Tacoma Gallery
I now own them both...just got the Taco and had the FJ since '10. The FJ excells in offroad activity. I'm sure the Tacoma will too esp when I get through with it.
I love em both. Hey it's a Toyota so you can't go wrong either way!
Old 11-21-2013, 06:47 PM   #19
Quote:
Originally Posted by LRSilverbullet View Post
I now own them both...just got the Taco and had the FJ since '10. The FJ excells in offroad activity. I'm sure the Tacoma will too esp when I get through with it.
I love em both. Hey it's a Toyota so you can't go wrong either way!
Hahaha, I hear ya there. Just grins and giggles I thought lets see if I can break it loose spin a wheel. Wow, won't pull that one again. It launched like a bullet and I know for fact that one rear wheel broke loose and one front wheel broke loose but it was just a split second and then the ABS kicked in and it was full traction and pinned to the seat, that's when I let off to shift and then just let it idle down to normal speed. That was the fastest 50-75' hole shot (so to speak) I've ever made.

Yeah, the all wheel drive system is very impressive to say the least. As I said, I'm new to this. I've had 4x4's before, all straight axles and one was the gear driven transfer case married to a 4 spd. Now, that was a monster in it's own right, but this FJ is ANOTHER MONSTER altogether in it's own world I think. I just have to learn the system and what it's capabilities are. Can't wait to start getting a grasp on this stuff.

Anyhow, thanks a million.

Les
Old 11-21-2013, 06:54 PM   #20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabex35 View Post

I've heard this before. However, when I ask no-one tells me what they're referring to as the weak 3rd. member. Here's the reason I say that. I remember back in the day, a 3rd. member was more like the rear-end on an Jag, Corvette, 280Z type rear-end in which the pumpkin, "ring and pinion" housing is separate from the rear axel in the sense of axel shafts connected to the rear diff by U-joints at each end of the axel shaft. Therefore, I'm think that the 3rd. member your referring to is the Front Diff maybe. I don't know so that's the reason for the "what do you mean" question.