Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > FJ Cruisers

Notices

Off road lights

Old 02-10-2014, 11:19 PM   #1
Menj309 is on a distinguished road

Name: Richard
Menj309's Tacoma Gallery
Off road lights

I have a question for you ladies and gents. My brother just bought a 07 FJ and we are looking at off road lights. He wants to go with round lights so I have been looking at KC or warn lights. I need your input as I don't have a FJ. Which ones do you guys recommend?
Old 02-11-2014, 06:07 AM   #2
virginiamarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedvirginiamarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedvirginiamarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedvirginiamarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedvirginiamarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedvirginiamarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedvirginiamarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedvirginiamarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedvirginiamarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedvirginiamarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedvirginiamarine is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Marines: Retired SNCO
virginiamarine's Tacoma Gallery
There is a spot on the bumper (if he doesn't already have something there) where two round lights look perfect (5 inch). The factory has two holes under the bumper skin if I recall correctly. An easy way to find out how to disassemble the front bumper would be to check out Expedition One (or any other aftermarket company) and download their bumper instructions which has a play by play with photos (I need pictures. lol).
Old 02-11-2014, 09:59 AM   #3
David K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David K's Tacoma Gallery
HID over halogen, as well.
Old 02-12-2014, 11:01 AM   #4
No Mod McFly is on a distinguished road

No Mod McFly's Tacoma Gallery
HID works if you can turn them on and keep them on. Ive wheeled many times and had to turn them on and off a lot (spotters, on coming, etc). Not great for that.

Both PIAA and KC are decent. Have KC on my wifes Taco and they arent bad.

If I were you Id look into Lightforce. Much more light output

If you want insane- check out Scorpion -LED. At 5"- there is no other light its size that can beat it. 12500 lumens - each!

Cheers
Old 02-14-2014, 11:42 PM   #5
David K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David K's Tacoma Gallery
True about HID having a warm-up period to reach full brightness. Just for the price, wattage draw and brightness, they are hard to beat. Halogen is instant on, yes.

LED is the new game in town, less draw, brighter lights, but $$$$ price (for now).
Old 02-14-2014, 11:44 PM   #6
'Murrica!
AK Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: matt
AK Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Lightforce also make some great lights. $$$$ but the HID versions/HID converted are pretty damn tough to beat.

Ive got a couple pics if you'd like.
Old 02-15-2014, 10:00 AM   #7
Menj309 is on a distinguished road

Name: Richard
Menj309's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK Taco View Post
Lightforce also make some great lights. $$$$ but the HID versions/HID converted are pretty damn tough to beat.

Ive got a couple pics if you'd like.
Can you post pics please?

Thanks everyone!
Old 02-15-2014, 10:10 AM   #8
'Murrica!
AK Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: matt
AK Taco's Tacoma Gallery
They aren't the best pictures, but this is two 55w hid lightforce 170's. The trees at the end of the road are about 400 yards away and they're clearly lit up.

And from the front. The light is pretty much pure white with just a hint of blue.

Old 02-16-2014, 10:14 AM   #9
No Mod McFly is on a distinguished road

No Mod McFly's Tacoma Gallery
Heres a light test I did with a bunch of lights for the blue forum

http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forum...ml#post2081866

Give you an idea of what a cheapo set of lights versus expensive ones
Old 06-15-2014, 11:27 PM   #10
quacktoduck is on a distinguished road
Name: duck
quacktoduck's Tacoma Gallery
i have some light forces 140s and a AUX switch for sale if anyone is interested.

i would recomend doing the HID retrofit from the retrofit source before anything else. if that is inadequate then go for more lights but i found having the bixenon was more than enough