1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2011 FJ oil change

Discussion in 'FJ Cruisers' started by Camolab7, Sep 4, 2014.

1. Sep 4, 2014 at 3:02 AM
    Camolab7

Camolab7 [OP] Member

Member:
    Virginia ( central/east)
    Vehicle:
    09 4wd
    Aftermarket CC
    Hello all,
    I own a tacoma and the wife owns a FJ 2011. I have been taking the FJ to the dealer for oil changes. I know the FJ is a cartridrige and it is underneath. Has anyone changed oil in this type FJ? What's involved? Does the filter come with o ring or drain attachment? Thx

2. Sep 4, 2014 at 10:15 AM
    virginiamarine

virginiamarine Well-Known Member

Member:
    Northern Virginia
    Vehicle:
    FJCruiser/Double cab Tacoma
    check the blue room for detailed instructions on this. I have an 08, so it's the easy on top of engine filter!

3. Sep 4, 2014 at 1:02 PM
    4x4Runner

4x4Runner Sam’s gone, man. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Drunken Sailor
    Not north, not south, not west, mostly east
    Vehicle:
    1WD
    nuttin fancy
    I've done a few changes on my 4R and it's the same engine. You drop the skid plates, remove a little metal clip off of the housing, 3/8 drive fits snugly into the bottom and loosen. Prepare for oil to go everywhere. Pull the old filter and wipe up the housing inside and out and put the new filter in. Replace the o ring on the housing and reinstall. Of course make sure you've drained the crankcase oil and reinstalled the drain plug with gasket.

Technically there is a smaller part of the housing that comes out and you insert a drain to drain the oil out of the housing before you remove the housing with a SST They have for it (oil filter wrench that fits on the outside of the housing) but the above instructions are actually how things go. Or my filter housing is completely seized up cause I haven't been able to get the smaller part out to do the drain part first.

To Top