Tacoma World Forums

Tacoma World Forums (http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/)
-   FJ Cruisers (http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/fj-cruisers/)
-   -   4x4 really needed? (http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/fj-cruisers/236388-4x4-really-needed.html)

TiYo 08-27-2012 12:53 PM

4x4 really needed?

Hi everyone, Newbie Ken here...I have been looking into the FJ cruiser for some time now. And what made me want it so bad was the 2008 white Team Trail edition. Then the 2012 white/black TRD edition. It looks too sexy.

My question is...I've always wanted 4x4, but do i really need it even for some light-moderate off road use? My brothers friend said that I dont need 4x4 as long as it has rear differential locks. Is this true? I know that I should be getting the A-Trac. Is the downhill/uphill assist only on the tacoma 4x4?

I want the confidence and peace of mind that if I do take it to the mountains during snow season, that I wont get stuck. I also want peace of mind that I wont be left behind if I go off roading with my brother and his Land Rover crew/ camping.

All I know is, if i'm going to spend money on something that blows that much gas, it might as well have everything....what do you all think?

whippersnapper02 08-27-2012 01:01 PM

A locked rear will not go where a 4wd can go even if that 4wd is open at both axles.

Get it if you want it. I don't use mine too often but when I do the truck is stressed less because you don't have to mash it to get through the obstacle. If all you do is simple dirt roads then don't get it.

Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

07trd4x4 08-27-2012 01:12 PM

The good old debate.

"As soon as you don't have it you need it. As soon as you get it you well never use it"

Beefed Taco 08-27-2012 01:14 PM

Yes. Have you ever started down a steep hill, then realized you have to back up? I have. Have you ever had to pull someone who was really stuck out? I have. Have you ever been in a freak snow storm that came over night? I have. Have you ever wanted to idle up a steep hill without beating your truck to death at the risk of breaking drivetrain parts or shaking your beer to death in the cooler? I have. Have you ever wanted to drive through soft sand without worrying the entire time and having to plan your parking spot and exit? I have. Have you ever had to come home on the front axle due to blowing the rear axle? I have. Have you ever wanted to be allowed up the snowy mountain without having to chain up due to CHP checking cars? I have. If you go wheeling a lot, you will eventually sell the 2WD for a 4x4 just to keep your heart rate down when wheeling alone.

whippersnapper02 08-27-2012 01:19 PM

http://youtu.be/yMLHtApOCwc

Not FJs but you get the picture.

ryanjboutin 08-27-2012 01:20 PM

I heard all you need is ATRAC. :stirthepot:

whippersnapper02 08-27-2012 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ryanjboutin (Post 5597203)
I heard all you need is ATRAC. :stirthepot:

Uh oh. PM and DK might tag team on your ass.

IDtrucks 08-27-2012 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beefed Taco (Post 5597180)
Yes. Have you ever started down a steep hill, then realized you have to back up? I have. Have you ever had to pull someone who was really stuck out? I have. Have you ever been in a freak snow storm that came over night? I have. Have you ever wanted to idle up a steep hill without beating your truck to death at the risk of breaking drivetrain parts or shaking your beer to death in the cooler? I have. Have you ever wanted to drive through soft sand without worrying the entire time and having to plan your parking spot and exit? I have. Have you ever had to come home on the front axle due to blowing the rear axle? I have. Have you ever wanted to be allowed up the snowy mountain without having to chain up due to CHP checking cars? I have. If you go wheeling a lot, you will eventually sell the 2WD for a 4x4 just to keep your heart rate down when wheeling alone.

all of that right there! ^

not to mention with 4x4 over the 2wd you get a magical thing called 4lo, which is one of the big reasons why an open/open 4x is better than a locked 2wd

lucky73 08-27-2012 02:49 PM

for driving down a dirt road or light snow = NO 4x4 needed
for heavy deep snow, sand, or real trails = YES

If you live in SoCal, then NO

Manwithoutaplan 08-27-2012 02:51 PM

You always need 4x4 screw 2wd.

jtav2002 08-27-2012 02:53 PM

4x4.

tacohound 08-27-2012 02:57 PM

I used to have a prerunner and even though I had the rear diff lock I was always worried about getting stuck in even light mudd, I traded that truck in and got a 4x4 taco and I absolutly love it, Im never worried about mudd or anything like that. Once I get back to MA I will be very happy to have the 4x4 for when it snows, If you have any worries whatsoever about getting stuck where you go then deff go 4x4. that is all.

whippersnapper02 08-27-2012 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lucky73 (Post 5597587)
If you live in SoCal, then NO

Derp?

Aw9d 08-27-2012 03:21 PM

I opted out of 4x4, I've only needed it once (got stuck since I'm a newb to off road). But I've never needed it since. I don't try and climb crazy stuff or anything but I can keep up on most trails by keeping the foot down on the skinny pedal.

Beefed Taco 08-27-2012 05:03 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 (Post 5597636)
Derp?

haha, what's derp? This is SoCal...and the 3rd pic is the 4x4 truck that came and rescued the 2WD Avalanche...and the thread I made when I got home for those of you with too much free time on your hands.:)

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/off...e-camping.html

whippersnapper02 08-27-2012 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beefed Taco (Post 5598253)
haha, what's derp? This is SoCal...and the 3rd pic is the 4x4 truck that came and rescued the 2WD Avalanche...and the thread I made when I got home for those of you with too much free time on your hands.:)

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/off...e-camping.html

Plenty of 4wd only places around in Socal.

TiYo 08-28-2012 10:25 AM

wow, so many replies in such a short amount of time. Thanks everyone

Quote:

Originally Posted by Manwithoutaplan (Post 5597599)
You always need 4x4 screw 2wd.

:amen: 4x4 it is! haha, now all that really matters is Taco, or FJ. I was leaning towards an FJ bc I like the SUV look and the overall bulkiness. Not to mention its an SUV what I like. But last night I saw a brownish TACO 4dr with the bed cover painted on it, and I thought....SEXY:D

macgyver 08-28-2012 10:33 AM

My opinion is already stated.. Better to have it and not use it than to need it and not have it.

I drive around in 2wd 99% of the time but when I do need it, it's there. The great thing is that it's there at the turn of a knob when you need it.

David K 08-28-2012 12:39 PM

The only reason to not get 4WD is if you never leave the city or can't afford the cost. Then you can't be comfortable going into the back country, exploring, or without other 4WDs along to pull you out.

A rear locker will give you more traction, but 4WD doubles 2WD traction. A-TRAC makes all four tires work and not just the back or one in front (if it isn't in the air or over loose ground).

The short answer is yes... no regrets if you get 4WD, but plenty if you don't!

whippersnapper02 08-28-2012 12:45 PM

:jerkoff: