Notices

Calling members near MacDill AFB,FL

Old 08-02-2008, 06:30 AM   #1
Proudly Serving
Jumpmaster is on a distinguished road
Army: Master Sergeant, 2d Combat Aviation Brigade,2d Infantry Division
Jumpmaster's Tacoma Gallery
Calling members near MacDill AFB,FL

Well, looks like I will be coming down on orders for MacDill AFB and I wanted to get the 411 from members from the Tampa area. I have spent most of my career in NC and know there will be a obvious difference in the cost of living. Just wanted to see if there was any advice from the locals, i.e. good place to look for a house (3 of us) not to far from base (1600-1700 month). I heard the commute can be a killer depending how far you live from base. The pros and cons/words of advice would be a help.
Old 08-02-2008, 07:12 AM   #2
abides.
Brunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: LT- CG MH-65C/D Driver- CGAS NOLA
Name: Mark
Brunes's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Brunes
Well- I'll be the first to tell you-Tampa/St Pete is a great area. I PCS'd up to Pensacola. You shouldn't have a problem finding a place to live- as long as you like city residential areas- There are several different areas around the base that would probably fit your needs.

Good luck on your search and have a safe move!!
Old 08-02-2008, 07:59 AM   #3
I miss Lucy. :-(
HerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Computer Tech
Name: John
HerNameIsLucy's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to HerNameIsLucy Send a message via Yahoo to HerNameIsLucy
Hey if you're even in the Ocala area gimme a shout. It's only a 2.5 - 3 hour drive from MacDill. Always willing to BBQ up a good meal for a fellow fly-boy!
Old 08-02-2008, 08:04 AM   #4
Proudly Serving
Quote:
Originally Posted by HerNameIsLucy View Post
Hey if you're even in the Ocala area gimme a shout. It's only a 2.5 - 3 hour drive from MacDill. Always willing to BBQ up a good meal for a fellow fly-boy!
Thanks for the offer bro, but does it still apply for Army? Yeah, not the norm, but I will be going to a Joint Command.
Old 08-02-2008, 08:09 AM   #5
Proudly Serving
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrunesDoesTRD View Post
Well- I'll be the first to tell you-Tampa/St Pete is a great area. I PCS'd up to Pensacola. You shouldn't have a problem finding a place to live- as long as you like city residential areas- There are several different areas around the base that would probably fit your needs.

Good luck on your search and have a safe move!!
Thanks, I have been to the Cola years ago. The ex was from there. I liked it, because the area I was visiting was more country, I'm not a big city guy really, but if I can find a suburb type area for the family it will be cool. You can pretty much have window tint as dark as you want in FL cant you? My bro-inlaw is from Orlando and his Titan had some dark ass tinted window. It actually made me a little nervous driving at night in the rain on dark back roads. I could not see crap out the sides, but it sure helped during the summers.
Old 08-02-2008, 08:11 AM   #6
HerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Send a message via AIM to HerNameIsLucy Send a message via Yahoo to HerNameIsLucy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumpmaster View Post
Thanks for the offer bro, but does it still apply for Army? Yeah, not the norm, but I will be going to a Joint Command.
Service is service...course it does!
Old 08-02-2008, 04:35 PM   #7
abides.
Brunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: LT- CG MH-65C/D Driver- CGAS NOLA
Name: Mark
Brunes's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Brunes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumpmaster View Post
Thanks, I have been to the Cola years ago. The ex was from there. I liked it, because the area I was visiting was more country, I'm not a big city guy really, but if I can find a suburb type area for the family it will be cool. You can pretty much have window tint as dark as you want in FL cant you? My bro-inlaw is from Orlando and his Titan had some dark ass tinted window. It actually made me a little nervous driving at night in the rain on dark back roads. I could not see crap out the sides, but it sure helped during the summers.
I wanna say it's like 20% limits- but I haven't seen people who drive safe/reasonable get hassled just for windows.

Quote:
Service is service...course it does!
Thats awesome!!
Old 08-02-2008, 04:40 PM   #8
missileman125fw is one of the sharper tools in the shedmissileman125fw is one of the sharper tools in the shedmissileman125fw is one of the sharper tools in the shedmissileman125fw is one of the sharper tools in the shedmissileman125fw is one of the sharper tools in the shedmissileman125fw is one of the sharper tools in the shedmissileman125fw is one of the sharper tools in the shedmissileman125fw is one of the sharper tools in the shedmissileman125fw is one of the sharper tools in the shedmissileman125fw is one of the sharper tools in the shedmissileman125fw is one of the sharper tools in the shed
missileman125fw's Tacoma Gallery
There is a limit on tint. Usually if you ain't driving reckless, the cops won't stop you though. I'm from Northeast Florida, it would be nice if somebody could organize a meet.
Anyway, welcome back to Florida!
Old 08-02-2008, 07:03 PM   #9
Proudly Serving
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrunesDoesTRD View Post
I wanna say it's like 20% limits- but I haven't seen people who drive safe/reasonable get hassled just for windows.

Thats awesome!!

20% is better then the 33-34% you are allowed in NC. It was better then nothing, but not all that great.
Old 08-03-2008, 07:05 PM   #11

Here ya go:

http://www.tintdude.com/laws.html

or more specifically:

http://www.tintcenter.com/laws/FL/
Old 08-04-2008, 07:54 PM   #12
Taco969 will become famous soon enoughTaco969 will become famous soon enough

Air Force: AFE
Taco969's Tacoma Gallery
I live in the Sarasota/Bradenton area and people everywhere have black 2% window tint with no trouble from the law. They have more important things to worry about it seems...
Old 08-04-2008, 07:58 PM   #13

What I don't get is this:

Sticker Requirements: The sticker to identify legal tinting is required on the inside of the driverís side doorjamb.

Where in the heck would a DIYer get a sticker like that? Is a cop every really gonna look for it? What happens if you don't have one?
Old 08-04-2008, 08:02 PM   #14

Taco969's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
What I don't get is this:

Sticker Requirements: The sticker to identify legal tinting is required on the inside of the driverís side doorjamb.

Where in the heck would a DIYer get a sticker like that? Is a cop every really gonna look for it? What happens if you don't have one?
Do you mean placing a sticker of what tint level you put on? Or the states legal limit?
Old 08-04-2008, 08:06 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco969 View Post
Do you mean placing a sticker of what tint level you put on? Or the states legal limit?
Check this page: http://www.tintcenter.com/laws/FL/

I'm thinking that means you're supposed to have a sticker certifying the tint is "legal".

Where would you get one, and who would do the certification? Would you have the state cops do it on the side of the road or their station, drive it to DMV and have them check it? Or does a sticker come in the box of tint? (when I did my Corolla it didn't)
Old 08-04-2008, 08:13 PM   #16

Taco969's Tacoma Gallery
Hmmmm, I am not sure