Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Regional Discussion > Regions > Florida

Notices

Water concern

Old 04-24-2011, 06:00 PM   #1
Hungryholler is on a distinguished road

Hungryholler's Tacoma Gallery
Water concern

Hello all,

So, I took my Taco into Jones Swamp (Pensacola FL area) on Saturday...wow! The locals who knew the area well said it wasn't too bad because of lack of rain.
However, seeing as how I just got my truck, and seeing as how i'm still new to most of this, it was still pretty damn scary, especially the video below.
After I did the mini crossing, I did a bit of research on the topic of water fjording and learned that I probably should have done a diff breather mod, and probably a radiator fan switch (again...researched this AFTER I did it..not smart I know).
So now I'm paranoid a little that I may of messed up my radiator fan clutch. It's making bit of noise (or a noise in that general direction), but not bad. I'm not even sure it wasn't there before...but now I'm just hyper sensitive to any/all sounds!
What do you guys think? Was this too deep? Am I being too paranoid? I'm not scared to use it for what it was built for...but I don't want to damage my truck!
Also, I do plan on changing my diff oils soon...

Thanks for time.

See the video..sorry for the cuss word if that bothers you.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7xSnDnO6js
Old 04-24-2011, 06:04 PM   #2
rev25sharp has a brilliant futurerev25sharp has a brilliant futurerev25sharp has a brilliant futurerev25sharp has a brilliant futurerev25sharp has a brilliant futurerev25sharp has a brilliant futurerev25sharp has a brilliant futurerev25sharp has a brilliant futurerev25sharp has a brilliant futurerev25sharp has a brilliant futurerev25sharp has a brilliant future
Name: Al
rev25sharp's Tacoma Gallery
i use to live in pensacola cantonment area(north pcola) where is jones swamp? my guess is your truck should be ok
Old 04-24-2011, 06:15 PM   #3
ben76 is on a distinguished road

Name: Ben
ben76's Tacoma Gallery
Yea, I wouldn't be to worried about that. You where only in it for a second, not really long enough for anything bad to happen.
Old 04-24-2011, 06:18 PM   #4
Banned
jjw1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjw1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjw1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjw1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjw1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjw1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjw1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjw1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjw1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjw1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjw1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Jesse
jjw1's Tacoma Gallery
sweet!!!
Old 04-24-2011, 07:06 PM   #5

Sweet. I guess I should have mentioned that I did a few of those crossings of about the same depth...in and out. After I did the crossings, nothing made me think I had broken something. I guess i'm just paranoid right now.
Although....I read in a FJ cruiser forum that a guy had to replace his idler pulleys after a crossing. It was quite a big bigger though....on the Eglin Rez.
Anyway, thanks for helping me alleviate some of my worries. I'm still gonna be careful though!

Jones Swamp is a few miles past Corry Station's shopping exchange gate. The trail starts right next to Arbys.
Old 04-24-2011, 07:09 PM   #6
your TW web developer!
rondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ronnie
rondog's Tacoma Gallery
yeah I think you're ok lol
Old 04-24-2011, 07:14 PM   #7

Cool. Thanks guys! I gotta say...the Tacoma is an extremely capable truck. It is completely stock, with fairly crappy tires...not even ATs, and it didn't miss a beat. I saw a few other trucks/jeeps that were stuck in the same areas I went through.
Anyway, thanks again!
Rondog, I assume your lol'ing because i'm acting like a ninny! Lol.
Old 04-24-2011, 07:22 PM   #8
ben76 is on a distinguished road

Name: Ben
ben76's Tacoma Gallery
Sounds about like the place we have down here called Richloam. Nothing but swamp and lots of water. If you can catch it at the right time and the waters down, it's a lot of fun.
Attached Thumbnails
Water concern-100_1078a.jpg   Water concern-richloamrancho013.jpg   Water concern-richloamrancho018.jpg  
Old 04-24-2011, 07:30 PM   #9
Go home if you don't like guns liquor and whores.
maxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Max
maxamillion2345's Tacoma Gallery
The switch you're talking about is for electric fans, to shut them off during crossings. The main issue with our fans is that the metal blades can be shoved forward into the radiator causing damage. Your fan clutch is probably fine, as are your idler bearings. There have been issues with the 1GR-FE idler bearings but going through water like that occasionally, you're fine.

As for the rear diff, it's possible you sucked water in, but not likely. You can pull the rear diff fill plug and stick a finger in there, if it's milky then you know it's contaminated and you need to change it, if not you're good to go.
Old 04-25-2011, 04:36 AM   #10

Ben76...that place looks like a blast.
Thanks for the advice Maxamillion.
Take it easy guys....and thanks again!