1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Water leak into engine compartment?

Discussion in 'Florida' started by nammer, Sep 22, 2011.

1. Sep 22, 2011 at 8:13 PM
    nammer

nammer [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nam
    Bradenton, Florida
    Vehicle:
    Wishing I had a Taco
    Hi everybody, so I've only had my truck for about a month. I had installed HID's and 2 days ago, one of them went out. I thought the HID's were faulty, but then i found out that it was waterlogged. The reason was because water was coming into the engine from between the hood and both front quarter panels (near the battery on the driver's side and near the windshield washer fluid reservoir on the passenger). I know the truck had body work on the driver's side, but it doesn't explain it coming into the passenger side and how both sides look so perfect. Please advise on how to fix this and I was also wondering does this happen to anybody else?

2. Sep 23, 2011 at 7:13 AM
    nammer

Member:
    First Name:
    Nam
    Bradenton, Florida
    Vehicle:
    Wishing I had a Taco
    Does anybody's truck leak water into the engine compartment between the hood and the two front quarter panels? Mine leaks a lot water near the battery on the driver's side and near the windshield washer fluid reservoir on the passenger side?

3. Sep 23, 2011 at 7:41 AM
    johnw

johnw Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    john
    orlando florida
    Vehicle:
    06 prerunner v-6 4.0L 4 door
    well you asked for specs..... 06 trd sport speedway blue 5.3l v8 4.0 camburg lift spindles extended travel icons total chaos lowers allpro 4" leaf pack 17" xd hoss rims 37/12.5/17 mickey thompson baja atz Allpro hybrid bumper grill craft grill wicked flow muffler inside i have..... wet okole real tree camo seat cover blue oznium dome light stealth sub box with 2 10" kicker comp subs kicker 400 watt amp weathertech floor mats
    Idk if mine does but you could put some sealing there and it should stop

4. Sep 23, 2011 at 9:29 AM
    nammer

Member:
    First Name:
    Nam
    Bradenton, Florida
    Vehicle:
    Wishing I had a Taco
    at first i thought it was missing a seal or weather strip, because the driver's side has had bodywork. But then after looking at pictures of other trucks it wasn't missing any. when I wash the car or it would rain, the water would be all over the battery, I thought this isn't the best design nor safest, yesterday I just bought this weather stripping, but water is still getting into the part where I put my HID's, and because one of the ballasts blew, that's what made me investigate it in the first place. By the looks of all the drain holes it looks like water is supposed to go in there. Here are some pictures of what I am talking about. It was actually a lot worse before I put the weatherstrip on, and i put one on the bottom and one on the top to see which one works best, both of them still let water in because once it gets to the headlight, it will just run below it if I put the weatherstrip on top of it

CIMG3517.jpg
    CIMG3516.jpg
    CIMG3515.jpg
    CIMG3514.jpg
    CIMG3518.jpg

5. Sep 23, 2011 at 9:52 AM
    nammer

Member:
    First Name:
    Nam
    Bradenton, Florida
    Vehicle:
    Wishing I had a Taco
    so does yours have water inside right near the headlights as well?

6. Sep 23, 2011 at 9:59 AM
    nammer

Member:
    First Name:
    Nam
    Bradenton, Florida
    Vehicle:
    Wishing I had a Taco
    sorry, I'm not trying to be a smartass, not like currently, but I mean when it does rain, or when you wash your car, is area where your headlights are wet?

7. Sep 23, 2011 at 10:16 AM
    nammer

Member:
    First Name:
    Nam
    Bradenton, Florida
    Vehicle:
    Wishing I had a Taco
    ok cool, thanks for the information

8. Sep 23, 2011 at 10:24 AM
    DEEVON911

DEEVON911 Semi-Pro

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Bethel Park, PA. Burb of da Burgh.
    Vehicle:
    2010 MGM Mostly Stock Off-Road 4x4
    TRD Cat-back Exhaust. Semi-Debadged. Trimmed down stock Antenna. Weathertech vent visors. TRD FJ Cruiser Center Cap Wheel Mod. 265/75/16 Firestone Destination A/T,s . Inverter tapped into for outlet in cab. Tacomaworld sticker which adds 5 hp.
    I don't think any truck/car's engine compartment is water tight. Things under the hood are meant to be able to get wet. Not submerged, but lets say its all water resistant. So anything that is under there should not be affected by any water that gets in. Did your ballast blow due to getting wet? Because I would think they would be sealed enough not to have a problem with water either. Idk though, I don't have HIDs.

9. Sep 23, 2011 at 10:31 AM
    nammer

Member:
    First Name:
    Nam
    Bradenton, Florida
    Vehicle:
    Wishing I had a Taco
    hey Dave, the ballast are supposed to be waterproof and should work if "submersed" but when i was trying to figure out what was wrong, all this brown rust colored water came out of it, and I know it's the ballast because when I use the ballast from the other side, they light up fine. I think that area is where the water is supposed to drain, but It was coming in so much on top of the battery that it made me suspicious.

10. Sep 23, 2011 at 10:40 AM
    DEEVON911

DEEVON911 Semi-Pro

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Bethel Park, PA. Burb of da Burgh.
    Vehicle:
    2010 MGM Mostly Stock Off-Road 4x4
    TRD Cat-back Exhaust. Semi-Debadged. Trimmed down stock Antenna. Weathertech vent visors. TRD FJ Cruiser Center Cap Wheel Mod. 265/75/16 Firestone Destination A/T,s . Inverter tapped into for outlet in cab. Tacomaworld sticker which adds 5 hp.
    Hmm, never really looked to be honest, because I have never had a problem. I'll have to check next time I wash it, and see if I have water where you are talking. Its raining today and if I had a garage I would look. No offence, but I'm not standing in the rain for you to look.:D. So your getting alot water on top of the battery also? I didn't think that was possible. Weird.

11. Sep 23, 2011 at 11:12 AM
    nammer

Member:
    First Name:
    Nam
    Bradenton, Florida
    Vehicle:
    Wishing I had a Taco
    yea, I was getting a bunch of water on top of the negative terminal of the battery until i put that weatherstripping on. I didn't think it was natural either.

Products Discussed in

To Top