Florida Tacomas

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Regional Discussion > Regions > Florida

Notices

Water leak into engine compartment?

Old 09-22-2011, 08:13 PM   #1
nammer is one of the sharper tools in the shednammer is one of the sharper tools in the shednammer is one of the sharper tools in the shednammer is one of the sharper tools in the shednammer is one of the sharper tools in the shednammer is one of the sharper tools in the shednammer is one of the sharper tools in the shednammer is one of the sharper tools in the shednammer is one of the sharper tools in the shednammer is one of the sharper tools in the shednammer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nam
nammer's Tacoma Gallery
Water leaking into engine compartment between hood and front quarter panel

Hi everybody, so I've only had my truck for about a month. I had installed HID's and 2 days ago, one of them went out. I thought the HID's were faulty, but then i found out that it was waterlogged. The reason was because water was coming into the engine from between the hood and both front quarter panels (near the battery on the driver's side and near the windshield washer fluid reservoir on the passenger). I know the truck had body work on the driver's side, but it doesn't explain it coming into the passenger side and how both sides look so perfect. Please advise on how to fix this and I was also wondering does this happen to anybody else?
Old 09-23-2011, 07:13 AM   #2
nammer is one of the sharper tools in the shednammer is one of the sharper tools in the shednammer is one of the sharper tools in the shednammer is one of the sharper tools in the shednammer is one of the sharper tools in the shednammer is one of the sharper tools in the shednammer is one of the sharper tools in the shednammer is one of the sharper tools in the shednammer is one of the sharper tools in the shednammer is one of the sharper tools in the shednammer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

nammer's Tacoma Gallery
Water leak into engine compartment?

Does anybody's truck leak water into the engine compartment between the hood and the two front quarter panels? Mine leaks a lot water near the battery on the driver's side and near the windshield washer fluid reservoir on the passenger side?
Old 09-23-2011, 09:29 AM   #4

nammer's Tacoma Gallery
at first i thought it was missing a seal or weather strip, because the driver's side has had bodywork. But then after looking at pictures of other trucks it wasn't missing any. when I wash the car or it would rain, the water would be all over the battery, I thought this isn't the best design nor safest, yesterday I just bought this weather stripping, but water is still getting into the part where I put my HID's, and because one of the ballasts blew, that's what made me investigate it in the first place. By the looks of all the drain holes it looks like water is supposed to go in there. Here are some pictures of what I am talking about. It was actually a lot worse before I put the weatherstrip on, and i put one on the bottom and one on the top to see which one works best, both of them still let water in because once it gets to the headlight, it will just run below it if I put the weatherstrip on top of it
Attached Thumbnails
Water leak into engine compartment?-cimg3517.jpg   Water leak into engine compartment?-cimg3516.jpg   Water leak into engine compartment?-cimg3515.jpg   Water leak into engine compartment?-cimg3514.jpg   Water leak into engine compartment?-cimg3518.jpg  

Old 09-23-2011, 09:39 AM   #5
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
The engine compartment is not sealed.
Old 09-23-2011, 09:52 AM   #6

nammer's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
The engine compartment is not sealed.
so does yours have water inside right near the headlights as well?
Old 09-23-2011, 09:53 AM   #7
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by nammer View Post
so does yours have water inside right near the headlights as well?
It hasn't rained here in a while so no.
Old 09-23-2011, 09:59 AM   #8

nammer's Tacoma Gallery
sorry, I'm not trying to be a smartass, not like currently, but I mean when it does rain, or when you wash your car, is area where your headlights are wet?
Old 09-23-2011, 10:08 AM   #9
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by nammer View Post
sorry, I'm not trying to be a smartass, not like currently, but I mean when it does rain, or when you wash your car, is area where your headlights are wet?
Well here is the thing, I don't check the engine bay when it rains and I wash my engine when I wash my truck. The engine compartment is not anywhere near sealed. Most water enters from the grill. There is a rubber strip at the front of the hood but I think that is mostly to keep parts from rubbing together and making noise.
Old 09-23-2011, 10:24 AM   #11
Ain't nobody got time for dat!
DEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dave
DEEVON911's Tacoma Gallery
I don't think any truck/car's engine compartment is water tight. Things under the hood are meant to be able to get wet. Not submerged, but lets say its all water resistant. So anything that is under there should not be affected by any water that gets in. Did your ballast blow due to getting wet? Because I would think they would be sealed enough not to have a problem with water either. Idk though, I don't have HIDs.
Old 09-23-2011, 10:31 AM   #12

nammer's Tacoma Gallery
hey Dave, the ballast are supposed to be waterproof and should work if "submersed" but when i was trying to figure out what was wrong, all this brown rust colored water came out of it, and I know it's the ballast because when I use the ballast from the other side, they light up fine. I think that area is where the water is supposed to drain, but It was coming in so much on top of the battery that it made me suspicious.
Old 09-23-2011, 10:40 AM   #13
Ain't nobody got time for dat!
DEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dave
DEEVON911's Tacoma Gallery
Hmm, never really looked to be honest, because I have never had a problem. I'll have to check next time I wash it, and see if I have water where you are talking. Its raining today and if I had a garage I would look. No offence, but I'm not standing in the rain for you to look.. So your getting alot water on top of the battery also? I didn't think that was possible. Weird.
Old 09-23-2011, 11:12 AM   #14

nammer's Tacoma Gallery
yea, I was getting a bunch of water on top of the negative terminal of the battery until i put that weatherstripping on. I didn't think it was natural either.