Florida Tacomas

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Regional Discussion > Regions > Florida

Notices

Road trip though North Florida. How about Apalachicola?

Old 02-08-2012, 03:07 AM   #1
x2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

x2468's Tacoma Gallery
Road trip though North Florida. How about Apalachicola?

So my cousin from NY booked a room in Panama city for spring break, and it coincidentally coincides with my own spring break, so I'm figuring it'll be a good opportunity for a road trip. The GF and I need to get out of the Urban setting for a while, stretch our legs. Plus, I've been meaning to check out Tali and the North Florida region anyway and this makes for a good excuse.

I see on google maps a big green patch called the Apalachicola forest. Worth driving through? Any fun, unpaved sections? It would be cool if I could traverse from one side to the other on the way to panama city.

Also, anything worth seeing in the ocala to panama city region worth getting off the highway for? I don't mind the county roads.

I'm hoping to meet a friend on the way down to wheel at either citrus or ocala on the return leg of the trip.
Old 02-08-2012, 03:25 AM   #2
HOME!!!
solus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: LT, USN
Name: Mark
solus's Tacoma Gallery
Old 02-08-2012, 04:31 PM   #4
neophyte
John BIG will become famous soon enoughJohn BIG will become famous soon enough
Name: mann
John BIG's Tacoma Gallery
Check A1A... sea side....

Quote:
Originally Posted by x2468 View Post
So my cousin from NY booked a room in Panama city for spring break, and it coincidentally coincides with my own spring break, so I'm figuring it'll be a good opportunity for a road trip. The GF and I need to get out of the Urban setting for a while, stretch our legs. Plus, I've been meaning to check out Tali and the North Florida region anyway and this makes for a good excuse.

I see on google maps a big green patch called the Apalachicola forest. Worth driving through? Any fun, unpaved sections? It would be cool if I could traverse from one side to the other on the way to panama city.

Also, anything worth seeing in the ocala to panama city region worth getting off the highway for? I don't mind the county roads.

I'm hoping to meet a friend on the way down to wheel at either citrus or ocala on the return leg of the trip.
Old 02-08-2012, 06:17 PM   #5
x2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

x2468's Tacoma Gallery
Really? I thought it would be closer to the Mississippi before I was in that territory. Ive lived in vt and across the river from Wv so ive experianced my share of hickdom. I just look over the people and at the scenery. At least I've heard good things about panama city during spring break.
Old 02-08-2012, 06:18 PM   #6

x2468's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by John BIG View Post
Check A1A... sea side....
Yeah I live on a1a. That's nothing new.
Old 02-09-2012, 06:34 AM   #7
BELT FED 2OZ. PULL
river rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: River Boats,Mike's & PBR'S Viet-Nam 68&69
Name: Jim
river rat 69's Tacoma Gallery
If you hear banjoe's floor it !!!! Jim
Old 02-10-2012, 06:33 PM   #8
Delandgixxer750 is on a distinguished road
Law Enforcement:
Name: Todd
Delandgixxer750's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

I'm not sure I live down by Daytona
Old 02-10-2012, 06:39 PM   #9

x2468's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by river rat 69 View Post
If you hear banjoe's floor it !!!! Jim
I actually find the sound of a banjo to be appealing when used tastefully in certain bluegrass forms. Mumford and sons employs the banjo beautifully.

But lets focus assholes! (And I mean that in the nicest way possible). Has anyone driven through or camped in the Apalachicola forest. Worth going or no?
Old 02-13-2012, 07:52 PM   #10
Tacomanole is a jewel in the roughTacomanole is a jewel in the roughTacomanole is a jewel in the rough

Name: Ryan
Tacomanole's Tacoma Gallery
There's some decent trails up through there, but I would consider Ocala better. Interestingly enough, Ocala has more hills than ANF. There may be some better trails in ANF I don't know about, but I just haven't had time to check them all out.

As far as "hickdom" goes, every place has them (Tallahassee included). I'm originally from MS, so I know my share of rednecks. Probably less here than AL or GA.
Old 02-13-2012, 11:14 PM   #11
Khaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bryant
Khaos's Tacoma Gallery
Whens your Spring Break?

Any interest in getting a group to go check out the trails out in ANF?
Old 02-14-2012, 03:02 AM   #12

x2468's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacomanole View Post
Interestingly enough, Ocala has more hills than ANF. There may be some better trails in ANF I don't know about, but I just haven't had time to check them all out.
Really now? Wouldn't have expected that. Well i was thinking of passing through Ocala on the way up as well.

I'm off from march 2nd to the 9th I think. Maybe, it's a possibility. I was hoping to find a route straight through the heart on the way from Tali to the Panama City, if possible.
Old 02-14-2012, 02:55 PM   #13
Khaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Khaos's Tacoma Gallery
Soon as I get my work schedule I'll see whats up for that week. I know the weekend of the 9th I'll be in GA camping and wheeling. Getting a new gun as well.
Old 02-14-2012, 08:19 PM   #14
Tacomanole is a jewel in the roughTacomanole is a jewel in the roughTacomanole is a jewel in the rough

Unfortunately my employer doesn't do "Spring Break"......I do miss those days..... Fortunately I do have a lot of leave time available, I just need to provide notice of time off far enough in advance. If ya'll do want to cruise the trails around here, let me know.
Old 02-14-2012, 08:28 PM   #15
I pull Tacomas' around for a living.
Jon4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJon4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJon4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJon4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJon4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJon4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJon4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJon4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJon4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJon4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJon4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jonathan (Jon)
Jon4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Jon4x4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delandgixxer750 View Post
I'm not sure I live down by Daytona
where you at in deland
Old 02-29-2012, 06:05 PM   #16

Khaos's Tacoma Gallery
Well, money cancelled the trip to GA, but I should still have the weekend of the 9th off if any of you want to go wheeling. Dont know how well my truck will perform with the Michelan LTX MS though...
Old 03-01-2012, 07:53 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khaos View Post
Well, money cancelled the trip to GA, but I should still have the weekend of the 9th off if any of you want to go wheeling. Dont know how well my truck will perform with the Michelan LTX MS though...
I might be here next weekend. I'll have to keep you posted on it. I'll probably know for sure by early to middle of next week.
Old 03-01-2012, 11:20 PM   #18

x2468's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khaos View Post
Lol, I have the same somewhat pathetic tires.... go figure.

I'm pretty sure I'm doing my roadtrip to tali this weekend. Was going to head to panama city but it's looking like that won't materialize.

Anywhere you recommend I check out?
Old 03-02-2012, 08:36 PM   #19

Quote:
Lol, I have the same somewhat pathetic tires.... go figure.

I'm pretty sure I'm doing my roadtrip to tali this weekend. Was going to head to panama city but it's looking like that won't materialize.

Anywhere you recommend I check out?
Several trails thru the ANF are designated for off-roading in your truck. Probably need to download their map on this link: http://www.fs.fed.us/r8/florida/apal...pbook_2011.pdf

Kind of a large map and probably only a few sections will be all you need. I've only mapped a fraction of the trails so far on my GPS.

Looks like a lot of rain tomorrow. May get a little nasty in a few places, if they haven't already with some of the rain we've gotten so far the last few days. I could probably ride out too, but it depends on what time.
Old 03-02-2012, 10:12 PM   #20
FL Forester is one of the sharper tools in the shedFL Forester is one of the sharper tools in the shedFL Forester is one of the sharper tools in the shedFL Forester is one of the sharper tools in the shedFL Forester is one of the sharper tools in the shedFL Forester is one of the sharper tools in the shedFL Forester is one of the sharper tools in the shedFL Forester is one of the sharper tools in the shedFL Forester is one of the sharper tools in the shedFL Forester is one of the sharper tools in the shedFL Forester is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jason
FL Forester's Tacoma Gallery
I need a good day away from the wife tearing it up. Lets go.