Florida Tacomas

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Regional Discussion > Regions > Florida

Notices

Big Cypress

Old 02-10-2012, 08:27 PM   #1
bkerndt is on a distinguished road
bkerndt's Tacoma Gallery
Big Cypress

Really hard to find information on this, so I'm looking mostly for first hand experience.

I'm looking to get into big cypress. I am close to needing new tires, and I want to put something on that will pass their tread width requirements(9" wide) Unfortunately, I have little money and a jeep wrangler with a 2.5l 4cyl(yes, I realize I am on a toyota forum and will accept all the razzing i deserve), so, I can pretty much only go up to 31x10.5 15s. The BFG km2's look like they would pass the 9"( they call the tread 8", but if you count the side lugs, it should come out to more than 9)

So, my question is, can anyone tell me exactly how they measure? I have seen this thread(http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/flo...s-wheelin.html), but it doesn't really answer my question, and I have heard different inspectors measure it different ways.

I don't really want to rant, but it seems to me that the regs are pretty arbitrary. I could take a 6000lb vehicle with 9" tread and tear things up a lot more than a 2000 lb vehicle with 8.5" tread. But, i guess thats the government for you, right?

So anybody with close/almost tires passed? how far will they measure down the sidewall lugs? here's a pic of the KM2... do you think they will count down to the top of the last sidewall lug? http://www.tirerack.com/tires/BigPic...omCompare1=yes

If all else fails, anybody willing to lend me some tires/wheels that will pass with a 5 x 4.5" lug pattern for an afternoon? only slightly kidding.

I realize I could call the inspection station, but will i get the right answer from whoever I talk to? Do different inspectors use different criteria?

Sorry for the length, and for being so demanding in my first post(while not owning a toyota no less), but I'm looking for info wherever I can find it.

Thanks,
Ben

Tread Lightly.