Florida Tacomas

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Regional Discussion > Regions > Florida

Notices

On board air install

Old 02-17-2012, 07:34 PM   #1
Up is difficult. Down is dangerous.
GuyHuey is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyHuey is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyHuey is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyHuey is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyHuey is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyHuey is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyHuey is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyHuey is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyHuey is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyHuey is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyHuey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Guy
GuyHuey's Tacoma Gallery
On board air install

Amazon prime got me today! You got to love or hate it.

In preparation for my ARB rear locker I ordered a Viair constant air supply from Amazon.

Got a free day from the wife and kids so hopefully I can get it all hooked up.

Toward the end of the month I'll pull the trigger on a complete 3rd with the locker installed, it seems the best way to go. This way I'll have a spare 3rd with 5.29 gears when I do the SAS.

Always open to some wheelin,

Guy Huey
Old 02-18-2012, 05:54 PM   #3
GuyHuey is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyHuey is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyHuey is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyHuey is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyHuey is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyHuey is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyHuey is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyHuey is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyHuey is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyHuey is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyHuey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

GuyHuey's Tacoma Gallery
Fed Ex got here a little later than I hoped. So I only got the mounting bracket built and the gauge/ on off switch done.

The kit is pretty complete, it has everything for a basic install. I debated installing the compressor under the truck, but have decided to place it where my stock bottle jack was.

The first picture shows most of the kit.

This shows where the tank will go, using the old spare tire mount holes.

This shows the mounting bracket as I was welding it up. Still new to welding, some good, some okay.

Last is the bracket painted, it's upside down.

Here's a recent picture of my truck. Had just finished installing the 4XInnovations rock sliders my wonderful wife got me for Christmas.

Old 02-19-2012, 04:21 PM   #4

GuyHuey's Tacoma Gallery
Still have to finish the plumbing and the wiring. The wiring should be easy, I have a 4 gauge run to a distribution block already in the back.

This is the mount mocked into position.

The compressor on the mount, all painted

On/off switch and gauge mounted in the dash

Guy,
Old 02-19-2012, 04:44 PM   #5
R.O.U.S.
RV7Garage is a splendid one to beholdRV7Garage is a splendid one to beholdRV7Garage is a splendid one to beholdRV7Garage is a splendid one to beholdRV7Garage is a splendid one to beholdRV7Garage is a splendid one to beholdRV7Garage is a splendid one to behold
Army: Veteran - 154th Sig. Bn., USARSO Panama
Name: Paul
RV7Garage's Tacoma Gallery
Good looking install
Old 02-19-2012, 08:11 PM   #6

GuyHuey's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks, hopefully I can finish it up soon.

Guy,
Old 03-11-2012, 09:12 AM   #8

GuyHuey's Tacoma Gallery
Finished up the install. The tank is mounted and all the lines have been run.

Next up will be an ARB locker. I ordered a complete 3RD from Frontier, great price and free shipping. It should be here this Wednesday and i'm taking a day off on Friday to plug it all in.

EDIT: just noticed you can see a bent leaf in the passenger side pack. Had to be from Citrus, I was getting a bunch of wheel hop on some of the climbs.
Old 04-29-2012, 02:22 PM   #9

GuyHuey's Tacoma Gallery
I added a regulator so I can lower the air pressure to 95lbs for the ARB. I need to drill and tap the manifold, then I can use the factory bolt to attach it. That will be a lot nicer than the super cool purple zip ties! I'll also clean up the wiring a bit, then put the trim panels back in.

I also welded a little tab under my bumper for an air chuck.

Old 04-30-2012, 03:37 PM   #10
I pull Tacomas' around for a living.
Jon4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJon4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJon4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJon4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJon4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJon4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJon4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJon4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJon4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJon4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJon4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jonathan (Jon)
Jon4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Jon4x4
the air chuck is the best part. great for airing down and what not
Old 05-10-2012, 05:25 PM   #11

GuyHuey's Tacoma Gallery
When I first installed the on-board air system I used Teflon tape to seal it. It would leak down from 150psi to 125psi in only 20 minutes. Well that wasn't going to work, I didn't want the compressor coming on that often when I was just using the rear locker.

Did some research and found out that Loctite makes an air and hydro sealant, Loctite 545. I took apart the air manifold and sealed all the connections along with the connections to the tank. Well It hasn't lost 1 psi in the last 1:45!

Make sure if you use Loctite 545 you let it cure for 24hrs.

Guy,
Old 05-10-2012, 05:49 PM   #12

GuyHuey's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmc View Post
loctite ftmfw
will tell my dad that, his compressor has a bad leaking issue (he thinks....i think it's just down to it having a tiny tank but whatever)
The 545 can be pricey, cheapest place I could find online was MRO Center. Came to 14 bucks shipped, some wanted 30.

Guy,