Florida Tacomas

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Regional Discussion > Regions > Florida

Notices

4Runner ARB install

Old 03-14-2012, 05:17 PM   #1
Up is difficult. Down is dangerous.
GuyHuey is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyHuey is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyHuey is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyHuey is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyHuey is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyHuey is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyHuey is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyHuey is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyHuey is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyHuey is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyHuey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Guy
GuyHuey's Tacoma Gallery
Talking 4Runner ARB install

After my last couple of times taking the truck out it became very apparent that at least a rear locker was necessary.

So look what the UPS man left for me today! I picked a complete assembled 3rd, in the long run this was the most cost effective solution. I'll use my current rear 3rd up front when I do the SAS.

Took the day off this Friday to plug it in.

Old 03-14-2012, 05:28 PM   #2
revised
TrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: HM2
TrdSurgie's Tacoma Gallery
Do a write up man!
Old 03-14-2012, 05:54 PM   #3
GuyHuey is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyHuey is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyHuey is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyHuey is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyHuey is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyHuey is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyHuey is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyHuey is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyHuey is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyHuey is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyHuey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

GuyHuey's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrdSurgie View Post
Do a write up man!
I'll document the install for sure. I finished the on board air install last week. This will tie into it.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/flo...r-install.html
Old 03-14-2012, 08:20 PM   #4
I pull Tacomas' around for a living.
Jon4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJon4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJon4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJon4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJon4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJon4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJon4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJon4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJon4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJon4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJon4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jonathan (Jon)
Jon4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Jon4x4
how many pinion teeth are there? i personally would set the pinion depth a little more to get a more of a mesh, but hey the pattern looks good.
Old 03-15-2012, 05:11 AM   #5

GuyHuey's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon4x4 View Post
how many pinion teeth are there? i personally would set the pinion depth a little more to get a more of a mesh, but hey the pattern looks good.
It may just be the picture, in person it looks almost centered, Just slightly to the outside of the gear.

The gear ratio is 5.29 and I don't have the tools or experience to adjust the pattern.

Guy,
Old 03-15-2012, 06:52 AM   #6
Jon4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJon4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJon4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJon4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJon4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJon4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJon4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJon4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJon4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJon4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJon4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Jon4x4's Tacoma Gallery
you got the tools its pretty easy actually lol, and alright i was just going off the pics
Old 03-16-2012, 10:49 AM   #7

GuyHuey's Tacoma Gallery
Got started about noon today. Spent most of the morning tracking down a fitting, it seems ARB uses a solenoid with British threads. Found an Autometer adapter that will work, it's a compromise though, it will take two fittings put together. Viair makes a fitting that will do it in one, i'll order it and just use the other one in the meantime.

I was really surprised no broken bolts, good stuff for a 23 year old truck.

As soon as the RTV sets i'll snug it all down and plug the axles back in.

I also just got a text back about an 85 front axle, it comes with a bunch of new parts and a new lunch box locker. If I can make the time I'm going to pick it up next week.

I'm really leaning toward a 3 link front at this point. This is meant to be a never ending project, so plenty of time to decide.

Guy,

Old Diff

ARB 3rd

Old 03-16-2012, 03:37 PM   #8
revised
TrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shed
looking good man!
Old 03-16-2012, 06:23 PM   #9

Jon4x4's Tacoma Gallery
where is the front axle at?
Old 03-16-2012, 07:35 PM   #10

GuyHuey's Tacoma Gallery
Found someone in Tampa selling one. I'm going to see if he can meet up with me at my work in Clearwater next week.
Old 03-17-2012, 09:32 AM   #11

Jon4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Well I was gonna say if its near me lmk ill pick IR up foe you.
Old 03-17-2012, 10:54 AM   #12

GuyHuey's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Well I was gonna say if its near me lmk ill pick IR up foe you.
Thanks for the offer! I still haven't seen it in person so i'll meet up with him next week.

Guy,
Old 03-22-2012, 04:01 PM   #13

GuyHuey's Tacoma Gallery
So bad luck this week. The deal on the front axle feel through and I'm having issues with the new 3rd. I'm getting a lot of gear whine, the company I bought it from has been great so far. I'll need to pull the 3rd and ship it back to them. They'll inspect and adjust or replace it.

Oh well, this is the nature of modified vehicles. Good thing I have my Fit for a daily driver.

Guy,
Old 03-22-2012, 04:51 PM   #14
revised
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyHuey View Post
So bad luck this week. The deal on the front axle feel through and I'm having issues with the new 3rd. I'm getting a lot of gear whine, the company I bought it from has been great so far. I'll need to pull the 3rd and ship it back to them. They'll inspect and adjust or replace it.

Oh well, this is the nature of modified vehicles. Good thing I have my Fit for a daily driver.

Guy,

alot of wasted effort....
Old 03-22-2012, 05:16 PM   #15

Jon4x4's Tacoma Gallery
i thought the patterns looked a little odd . sorry about the luck though. thats what i hate about the whole idea of a 3rd member
Old 03-22-2012, 06:06 PM   #16

GuyHuey's Tacoma Gallery
No worries, like I said this not being my daily driver is a blessing. I learned my lesson back in the day with my supercharged Integra.

Guy
Old 03-22-2012, 06:08 PM   #17

GuyHuey's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
i thought the patterns looked a little odd . sorry about the luck though. thats what i hate about the whole idea of a 3rd member

Dude, you called it on the pattern. At least the company I bought it from is doing the right thing.

Once it's all wrapped up and the 3rd is perfect i'll reveal who I got it through.

Guy,
Old 03-22-2012, 09:33 PM   #18
TW's Official anti body-lift pundit
TacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: Paramedic
Name: Jonathan
TacoMX's Tacoma Gallery
I hate it when you get bad parts and it leaves your rig down... (or up...on jackstands )

And it Really sucks when you get a leaky rack and pinion and takes 2 weeks to get another one...and its your DD
Old 03-23-2012, 07:32 AM   #19

Jon4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah they looked like the pinion depth isn't in far enough. so its riding on the teeth edge. also im pretty sure i know where u got this from
Old 03-23-2012, 06:21 PM   #20

GuyHuey's Tacoma Gallery
Pulled the 3rd after work tonight. It all went pretty quick.

Hopefully I don't have any issues with it when I get it back.

Guy,