Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Regional Discussion > Regions > Florida

Notices

Backup Lights - Tampa Install?

Old 05-21-2012, 03:35 PM   #1
Terrin81 is on a distinguished road
Terrin81's Tacoma Gallery
Backup Lights - Tampa Install?

Hey all,

I purchased some of the KC Hilites back up lights (and the extra switch for in-cab - planning on getting a stock switch at some point) for my 2012. I have no wiring experience and am not particularly comfortable doing the install myself (particularly possibly messing up the electrical system while under warranty).

Can anyone recommend somewhere in the Tampa area I can go and have them install them for me?

Thanks!
TJ
Old 05-21-2012, 04:00 PM   #2
Up is difficult. Down is dangerous.
GuyHuey is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyHuey is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyHuey is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyHuey is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyHuey is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyHuey is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyHuey is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyHuey is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyHuey is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyHuey is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyHuey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Guy
GuyHuey's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrin81 View Post
Hey all,

I purchased some of the KC Hilites back up lights (and the extra switch for in-cab - planning on getting a stock switch at some point) for my 2012. I have no wiring experience and am not particularly comfortable doing the install myself (particularly possibly messing up the electrical system while under warranty).

Can anyone recommend somewhere in the Tampa area I can go and have them install them for me?

Thanks!
TJ
Welcome!

I can't recommend anyone in Tampa, But in Clearwater my boss use's Jeff's Jeep yard and has been really happy so far.

If you do decide to give it a shot, this article will point you in the right direction.

http://www.jkowners.com/tech/electrical/

Guy,
Old 05-21-2012, 07:19 PM   #3
Up is difficult. Down is dangerous.
GuyHuey is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyHuey is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyHuey is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyHuey is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyHuey is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyHuey is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyHuey is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyHuey is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyHuey is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyHuey is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyHuey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Guy
GuyHuey's Tacoma Gallery
My boss is pretty particular about who works on his Jeep!

Guy,

Old 05-21-2012, 07:27 PM   #4
nammer is one of the sharper tools in the shednammer is one of the sharper tools in the shednammer is one of the sharper tools in the shednammer is one of the sharper tools in the shednammer is one of the sharper tools in the shednammer is one of the sharper tools in the shednammer is one of the sharper tools in the shednammer is one of the sharper tools in the shednammer is one of the sharper tools in the shednammer is one of the sharper tools in the shednammer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nam
nammer's Tacoma Gallery
isn't the best time to mess up the electrical system when it's under warranty?

your lights come with wiring harness and instructions right?

I think you'll enjoy it a lot more if you install it yourself, and there are a lot of shops that do good work, but in my opinion there are a lot more shops that don't take care of your stuff like scratches and dings

I think you can easily do it just by reading the instructions, i'd love to help walk you through it, you'd be able to install everything so that every single wire is hidden until it exits the cab underneath the driver's seat (I couldn't get those rear boxes out, and out the grommets directly in the back of the cab) I can take a bunch of pics for ya, or if you ever wanta drop on by down in ruskin, i can show you how i wired my back up camera from the back to the front.

I don't know how much any shop would charge to do a job like this, but it probably isn't much, but i think it'd be worthwhile to learn
Old 05-22-2012, 07:17 AM   #5
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyHuey View Post
Welcome!

I can't recommend anyone in Tampa, But in Clearwater my boss use's Jeff's Jeep yard and has been really happy so far.

If you do decide to give it a shot, this article will point you in the right direction.

http://www.jkowners.com/tech/electrical/

Guy,
Thanks for the recommendation in Clearwater. It's not super close, but if they are that good I'm certainly not opposed to giving them a shot.

Also, that's quite the electrical writeup, thanks for the link. Definitely bookmarked for when I have some time.
Old 05-22-2012, 07:35 AM   #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by nammer View Post

your lights come with wiring harness and instructions right?

I think you'll enjoy it a lot more if you install it yourself, and there are a lot of shops that do good work, but in my opinion there are a lot more shops that don't take care of your stuff like scratches and dings

I think you can easily do it just by reading the instructions, i'd love to help walk you through it, you'd be able to install everything so that every single wire is hidden until it exits the cab underneath the driver's seat (I couldn't get those rear boxes out, and out the grommets directly in the back of the cab) I can take a bunch of pics for ya, or if you ever wanta drop on by down in ruskin, i can show you how i wired my back up camera from the back to the front.

I don't know how much any shop would charge to do a job like this, but it probably isn't much, but i think it'd be worthwhile to learn

I'm definitely not opposed to learning, and think it would be a good experience, I'm just hesitant to mess up the truck. Thanks for the offer, I'll dwell on it a little more and try to decide.
Old 05-27-2012, 05:06 PM   #7
Sometimes when I close my eyes, I can't see.
Toyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jason
Toyota Tech31's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by nammer View Post
ABSOLUTELY NOT! Wiring isnt hard, but if you dont know what you are doing and screw something up, i would have no problem telling a customer to get their wallet out and get ready to pay, cause depending on what they fry, it could be costly. If you have someone that an help, thats great, but if it is determined that a failure is caused by something a customer has done, it is no longer Toyotas responsiblitiy, nor will any future issues with that system.

Sorry to be a downer, just letting everyone know before they think this is true.
Old 05-27-2012, 06:13 PM   #9
nammer is one of the sharper tools in the shednammer is one of the sharper tools in the shednammer is one of the sharper tools in the shednammer is one of the sharper tools in the shednammer is one of the sharper tools in the shednammer is one of the sharper tools in the shednammer is one of the sharper tools in the shednammer is one of the sharper tools in the shednammer is one of the sharper tools in the shednammer is one of the sharper tools in the shednammer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

nammer's Tacoma Gallery
but the only reason i would suggest my limited knowledge is because i'm pretty sure those kits come with relays, that's why i made sure to ask.
Old 05-27-2012, 06:16 PM   #10

nammer's Tacoma Gallery
actually, i didn't specifically ask about relays, but i just got those yellow fog lights, and they came with everything including a relay and very clear instructions
Old 05-27-2012, 06:54 PM   #13
Sometimes when I close my eyes, I can't see.
Toyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jason
Toyota Tech31's Tacoma Gallery
That ones ok if you have the harness all made up already, but the one i posted is good for making your own harness, i prepped all the wires and had them ready to run before Greg ever brought me his truck for the rewire, just guestimated the lenghts for the wires.
Old 05-27-2012, 07:03 PM   #14

nammer's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyota Tech31 View Post
That ones ok if you have the harness all made up already, but the one i posted is good for making your own harness, i prepped all the wires and had them ready to run before Greg ever brought me his truck for the rewire, just guestimated the lenghts for the wires.
yea i hear ya, i was thinkin the OP's lights have the harness cause I see those kind of kits at advanced auto parts, that's why last time i asked u bout the relay, i am still like wtf
Old 05-28-2012, 04:15 PM   #15
Yea, it's got the relays and everything I should need to do it no problem, just not comfortable (and the whole warranty thing, don't want to jack that up)...