1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Backup Lights - Tampa Install?

Discussion in 'Florida' started by Terrin81, May 21, 2012.

1. May 21, 2012 at 3:35 PM
    Terrin81

Terrin81 [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    2012 Trd Sport DCSB
    Hey all,

I purchased some of the KC Hilites back up lights (and the extra switch for in-cab - planning on getting a stock switch at some point) for my 2012. I have no wiring experience and am not particularly comfortable doing the install myself (particularly possibly messing up the electrical system while under warranty).

Can anyone recommend somewhere in the Tampa area I can go and have them install them for me?

Thanks!
    TJ

2. May 21, 2012 at 4:00 PM
    GuyHuey

GuyHuey Up is difficult. Down is dangerous.

Member:
    First Name:
    Guy
    Holiday, Florida
    Vehicle:
    89 4Runner, 2020 MGM TRDOR 4X4
    Ball joint spacers and lift blocks, am I doing it right?
    Welcome!

I can't recommend anyone in Tampa, But in Clearwater my boss use's Jeff's Jeep yard and has been really happy so far.

If you do decide to give it a shot, this article will point you in the right direction.

http://www.jkowners.com/tech/electrical/

Guy,

3. May 21, 2012 at 7:19 PM
    GuyHuey

GuyHuey Up is difficult. Down is dangerous.

Member:
    First Name:
    Guy
    Holiday, Florida
    Vehicle:
    89 4Runner, 2020 MGM TRDOR 4X4
    Ball joint spacers and lift blocks, am I doing it right?
    My boss is pretty particular about who works on his Jeep!

Guy,

[​IMG]

4. May 21, 2012 at 7:27 PM
    nammer

nammer Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nam
    Bradenton, Florida
    Vehicle:
    Wishing I had a Taco
    isn't the best time to mess up the electrical system when it's under warranty?

your lights come with wiring harness and instructions right?

I think you'll enjoy it a lot more if you install it yourself, and there are a lot of shops that do good work, but in my opinion there are a lot more shops that don't take care of your stuff like scratches and dings

I think you can easily do it just by reading the instructions, i'd love to help walk you through it, you'd be able to install everything so that every single wire is hidden until it exits the cab underneath the driver's seat (I couldn't get those rear boxes out, and out the grommets directly in the back of the cab) I can take a bunch of pics for ya, or if you ever wanta drop on by down in ruskin, i can show you how i wired my back up camera from the back to the front.

I don't know how much any shop would charge to do a job like this, but it probably isn't much, but i think it'd be worthwhile to learn

5. May 22, 2012 at 7:17 AM
    Terrin81

Member:
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    2012 Trd Sport DCSB
    Thanks for the recommendation in Clearwater. It's not super close, but if they are that good I'm certainly not opposed to giving them a shot.

Also, that's quite the electrical writeup, thanks for the link. Definitely bookmarked for when I have some time.

6. May 22, 2012 at 7:35 AM
    Terrin81

Member:
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    2012 Trd Sport DCSB

I'm definitely not opposed to learning, and think it would be a good experience, I'm just hesitant to mess up the truck. Thanks for the offer, I'll dwell on it a little more and try to decide.

7. May 27, 2012 at 5:06 PM
    Toyota Tech31

Toyota Tech31 Sometimes when I close my eyes, I can't see.

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Debary, Florida
    Vehicle:
    '08 SWB Bad ass SPORT
    Air Raid air intake, 40 Series Flowmaster Muffler, Front Turn Signals Now Turn And Park, KENWOOD HEAD UNIT W/ ALL KENWOOD SPEAKER UPGRADES AND 2-10" KENWOOD SUBS BEHIND BACK SEAT, Bilstein 5125'S In Rear W/ 1.5 AAL'S, Bilstein 5100 W/ Eibachs Up Front, LR Upper control arms, NFAB steps, Bruteforce Fab Hybrid front bumper, LP10000 SuperWinch, 2 Rigid Industries SRM-2's, OKLedlightbars 6 CREE LED lights as fogs, AVID RBG, 2 4" red ring HIDs mounted behind the grille.
    ABSOLUTELY NOT! Wiring isnt hard, but if you dont know what you are doing and screw something up, i would have no problem telling a customer to get their wallet out and get ready to pay, cause depending on what they fry, it could be costly. If you have someone that an help, thats great, but if it is determined that a failure is caused by something a customer has done, it is no longer Toyotas responsiblitiy, nor will any future issues with that system.

Sorry to be a downer, just letting everyone know before they think this is true.

8. May 27, 2012 at 6:12 PM
    nammer

nammer Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nam
    Bradenton, Florida
    Vehicle:
    Wishing I had a Taco

haha, that was kind of a joke, never a good idea to mess it up :)

9. May 27, 2012 at 6:13 PM
    nammer

nammer Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nam
    Bradenton, Florida
    Vehicle:
    Wishing I had a Taco
    but the only reason i would suggest my limited knowledge is because i'm pretty sure those kits come with relays, that's why i made sure to ask.

10. May 27, 2012 at 6:16 PM
    nammer

nammer Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nam
    Bradenton, Florida
    Vehicle:
    Wishing I had a Taco
    actually, i didn't specifically ask about relays, but i just got those yellow fog lights, and they came with everything including a relay and very clear instructions

11. May 27, 2012 at 6:32 PM
    Toyota Tech31

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Debary, Florida
    Vehicle:
    '08 SWB Bad ass SPORT
    Air Raid air intake, 40 Series Flowmaster Muffler, Front Turn Signals Now Turn And Park, KENWOOD HEAD UNIT W/ ALL KENWOOD SPEAKER UPGRADES AND 2-10" KENWOOD SUBS BEHIND BACK SEAT, Bilstein 5125'S In Rear W/ 1.5 AAL'S, Bilstein 5100 W/ Eibachs Up Front, LR Upper control arms, NFAB steps, Bruteforce Fab Hybrid front bumper, LP10000 SuperWinch, 2 Rigid Industries SRM-2's, OKLedlightbars 6 CREE LED lights as fogs, AVID RBG, 2 4" red ring HIDs mounted behind the grille.
    Always wire with a relay, just ask K9 about that one. I have a very easy to follow schematic that i use for wiring lights light that.

relay-diagram.gif

12. May 27, 2012 at 6:51 PM
    nammer

nammer Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nam
    Bradenton, Florida
    Vehicle:
    Wishing I had a Taco
    this one came with my fogs, super easy, everything is already covered and bundled

Scan 11.jpg

13. May 27, 2012 at 6:54 PM
    Toyota Tech31

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Debary, Florida
    Vehicle:
    '08 SWB Bad ass SPORT
    That ones ok if you have the harness all made up already, but the one i posted is good for making your own harness, i prepped all the wires and had them ready to run before Greg ever brought me his truck for the rewire, just guestimated the lenghts for the wires.

14. May 27, 2012 at 7:03 PM
    nammer

nammer Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nam
    Bradenton, Florida
    Vehicle:
    Wishing I had a Taco
    yea i hear ya, i was thinkin the OP's lights have the harness cause I see those kind of kits at advanced auto parts, that's why last time i asked u bout the relay, i am still like wtf :notsure:

15. May 28, 2012 at 4:15 PM
    Terrin81

Member:
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    2012 Trd Sport DCSB
    Yea, it's got the relays and everything I should need to do it no problem, just not comfortable (and the whole warranty thing, don't want to jack that up)...

Products Discussed in

To Top