Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Regional Discussion > Regions > Florida

Notices

Best radio/DVD player for traveling

Old 06-14-2012, 05:46 AM   #1
PI Lvr83 is on a distinguished road

Air Force: Retired
PI Lvr83's Tacoma Gallery
Question Best radio/DVD player for traveling

I am going to do a long distance trip from Florida to West Coast and have a stock 2007 Tacoma Sport type truck. I would like to install a custom radio with a DVD so my wife and child can watch movies while I drive.

1st: Can this be done (watching movies while I drive)??

2nd: What type radio should I purchase that will not require extensive modification and priced under $1000?

Thanks
Old 06-14-2012, 05:59 AM   #2
//TRD
GeauxTigers is on a distinguished road

Name: Caleb
GeauxTigers's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by PI Lvr83 View Post
I am going to do a long distance trip from Florida to West Coast and have a stock 2007 Tacoma Sport type truck. I would like to install a custom radio with a DVD so my wife and child can watch movies while I drive.

1st: Can this be done (watching movies while I drive)??

2nd: What type radio should I purchase that will not require extensive modification and priced under $1000?

Thanks
I have a Pioneer avh2300dvd (http://www.google.com/products/catal...ed=0CHkQ8wIwAQ) that I can watch movies on while driving (if I wanted to) all I had to do was buy a parking brake bypass relay from ebay. (http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pioneer-Park...item231958926a)

Definitely check crutchfield.com and check out their double din dvd headunits. They will send you very simple install directions, as well as the dash kit and wiring harness. (everything you need)
Old 06-16-2012, 07:14 PM   #3
Custom User Title
Zac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: CSAR
Name: Zac
Zac808's Tacoma Gallery
I just did vegas to tampa area the past few days. I think a dvd player would be a disteaction on the road. Especially at 70-75 mph. Maybe the portable headrest mounted ones for the kids.
Old 06-16-2012, 07:24 PM   #4
Cypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: 2A773 Retired
Cypherian's Tacoma Gallery
I have a Kenwood DNX6980 along with Rockford Fosgate P4 400 watt Amp drives the 6.5” and Tweeters Front and Rear , Rockford Fosgate P2 200 watt Amp drives the 10” Sub,10” Sub Kicker CVT,Steering Wheel Controls, Ipod / Secondary Input, External Output to Rear Seat Area the remote out feeds video to the back seat plug in a remote screen hang it and go. It can play movies when your driving however, I am pretty positive it's illegal to do so in all states a shop won't wire it that way but you can google how to do it I am sure. I know mine is above your 1k limit but I am not a stereo buff I had a friend who is do the system up for me lol. Perhaps you can find someone here who is a stereo buff and will guide you. An external unit would't work ? I used to do that with a $250 unit had the main screen and a remote screan so front passenger and rear could watch it ear phones would be a must though lol unless you want to go crazy trying to listen to music etc and have a movie on in the back ground. You will need extra power though it took 2 sockets there is a post here on how to add them.

Cypher
Old 06-17-2012, 04:30 PM   #5
Sippi is on a distinguished road

Sippi's Tacoma Gallery
I have a JVC AVX-640 with satellite radio and blue-tooth add on. I also installed a rear-view camera for boating days.

I will say the initial price of the JVC with installation gear from crutchfield was around 400 or so with shipping included. You do not need to buy a parking brake bypass as if you do a little research for your specific model you will find the answer is easier than you think.

I travel from S. Florida to Biloxi multiple times a year and I find playing a movie makes the trip go by a lot easier even if it is only dialogue that you are hearing.

Another added bonus as the JVC has a detachable front face for thief deterrent.
Old 06-18-2012, 10:59 AM   #6
PI Lvr83 is on a distinguished road

Air Force: Retired
PI Lvr83's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zac808 View Post
I just did vegas to tampa area the past few days. I think a dvd player would be a disteaction on the road. Especially at 70-75 mph. Maybe the portable headrest mounted ones for the kids.
Sent you a PM
Old 06-18-2012, 12:07 PM   #7
Khaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bryant
Khaos's Tacoma Gallery
I have a windshield mount I use for my cell phone. On long road trips the girlfriend will put her iPhone there and watch something on netflix and use the stereo for the audio. Works great. Not recommended unless you have unlimited data though.
Old 06-29-2012, 11:48 AM   #8
nammer is one of the sharper tools in the shednammer is one of the sharper tools in the shednammer is one of the sharper tools in the shednammer is one of the sharper tools in the shednammer is one of the sharper tools in the shednammer is one of the sharper tools in the shednammer is one of the sharper tools in the shednammer is one of the sharper tools in the shednammer is one of the sharper tools in the shednammer is one of the sharper tools in the shednammer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nam
nammer's Tacoma Gallery
pretty much any in dash dvd can be slightly modified to watch movies while driving. For pretty much any model there instructions online on how to do so. Like cypherian said most big shops won't do it for liability and of course it's illegal. You can get good name brand used ones for around 200-400 on ebay or craigslist, the ones closer to ur price range of 1K mostly have navigation. I've had a no namer innovatek 3.5inch that needed no modification to watch movies, clarion vrx7something (only modification was not wiring hand brake switch), clarion vrx9something (needed to hook up to a switch, give it power, then switch off, to watch movies), and currently running pionner f90bt, only needed to switch 2 pins, and ground the brake bypass.
Old 06-29-2012, 11:50 AM   #9
nammer is one of the sharper tools in the shednammer is one of the sharper tools in the shednammer is one of the sharper tools in the shednammer is one of the sharper tools in the shednammer is one of the sharper tools in the shednammer is one of the sharper tools in the shednammer is one of the sharper tools in the shednammer is one of the sharper tools in the shednammer is one of the sharper tools in the shednammer is one of the sharper tools in the shednammer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nam
nammer's Tacoma Gallery
I personally like having an aftermarket head unit, but an easy solution would also be install if you don't have already an aux switch, get a portable dvd player, and a power inverter and that way the wife can watch and u both can listen
Old 09-04-2012, 08:34 PM   #10
shahabshaukat is on a distinguished road
shahabshaukat's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zac808 View Post
THIS!
Old 09-16-2012, 12:40 PM   #11
Housework can't kill you, but why take a chance?
Doc4216 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc4216 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc4216 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc4216 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc4216 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc4216 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc4216 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc4216 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc4216 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc4216 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc4216 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard:
Doc4216's Tacoma Gallery
I put a Pioneer AVH-P2400BT that has DVD, Bluetooth, Sat, and you can hook up NAV into it also. Got it off Crutchfield with all the hook up and had it installed at local shop. Best thing I have done to the Taco yet! Just my two sense.