1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

How should I proceed with an unethical dealer - Toyota of Melbourne

Discussion in 'Florida' started by EdwardHBLW, Jun 30, 2012.

1. Jun 30, 2012 at 11:48 AM
    EdwardHBLW

EdwardHBLW [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Orlando, Fl
    Vehicle:
    12 PreRunner SR5 Access Cab
    Not sure how to proceed with this, and was hoping you guys can chime in... I already have a case open with Toyota N.A., and will be calling the State Attorney's office and BBB on monday.

Long version:
    So when we bought the truck, the F&I guy offered to lower the interest rate by 1% if we purchased the Perma Plate plan for $900 (which I later found out is illegal). He showed us that it would be a wash and basically would cost us nothing in the short or long run but would offer him a higher commission. My father helped with getting the loan and agreed to the Perma Plate.

After looking up what PermaPlate actually was, I called PermaPlate to cancel, and they told me that it is cancelable but through the dealership. I then called Toyota of Melbourne and spoke to Josh Fields in F&I and he told me that it's not cancelable. Not taking his word for the gospel, I called around to various dealerships that also offered the product, and they were helpful enough to tell me that I was being lied to by Toyota of Melbourne, and that what they did was illegal. From what they told me, they're not allowed to trade points for product. After hearing this, I was livid and talked to Toyota N.A. who then opened a case # for me. I called the dealership back, let them know a case is opened, and he changed his tune and told me to have my dad come in to sign the cancelation paperwork. Today, my dad goes in and he tells my dad that they are unable to cancel. At the least, Mr. Fields telling me one story and telling my father a different one is unethical, at the worst, from what I've been told from other dealers, trading interest rate for product is illegal.

I plan on talking to the Attorney General in Florida, the Better Business Bureau, as well as the local news stations about this. What would you guys do if you were in my shoes?

Cliffs version:

Dealer sold us on PermaPlate in exchange for lowering our rate, after looking up PermaPlate and reading the negative reviews on it, I call to cancel. Dealership says unable to cancel, even though PermaPlate says it is. After talking to Toyota N.A., dealership agrees to cancel if father (name on loan) comes in to sign, father goes in and dealer renegs.

2. Jun 30, 2012 at 11:56 AM
    BuzzardsGottaEat

BuzzardsGottaEat Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Some Toyotas
    Round tires
    Don't fool around with crafty salesmen. If he's lying to your face ask to speak to either the owner or general manager. (Remember To Stay Calm and Cool 100% of the time and speak reasonably to the manager or whoever) Tell them your situation. Literally don't even speak to the salesman again or even give him a heads up that you'll be calling his boss.

If that doesn't get you results, then start mentioning calling Toyota, or the Better Business Bureau or whatever. But see if you can sort it out reasonably with the head honcho first.

I say this because a week ago I picked up a vehicle and was lied to by the salesman about a few thing. I called the boss man and he is installing and fixing parts and saving me over $4,000 to make it right. He did nothing but apologize and said he will be taking care of that salesman who lied too.

Good luck

3. Jun 30, 2012 at 3:51 PM
    river rat 69

river rat 69 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Orlando, Fla., Green side of the grass
    Vehicle:
    007, trd, sr5, fmf.
    NO Chrome,3" NFab's steps,TRD skid,Wet okie's.011 grill, k&n,5100's,All this comes right off when the old lady says let's go get a NEW ONE!!!
    You can call your D.A's office as it sounds like its illegal to me.Worked good for us before as no one likes a call to the GM or owner from the DA's office. Car salesmen if lips are moving hes lying.. Jim

4. Jun 30, 2012 at 3:59 PM
    ohohvette

ohohvette Why ask why?

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Orange County, FL
    Vehicle:
    2011 PreRunner SR5 DC LB
    BORLA exhaust Sylvania ZLE xenon headlight bulbs Blue LED Inst. Mod FJ wheels
    Chas is correct - Remember To Stay Calm and Cool 100% of the time. I would also include your dad in these meetings, as he co-signed, so he is part of the contract and it helps avoid the "he said/she said" later on - hopefully it won't come to that! I would start with the F&I manager. This gives them a chance to take care of the problem "in house". Also document with whom you spoke to and when. Then if you are not satisfied, move up the mgmt chain. By documenting who you have talked to, what was discussed and when, it gives the next person you meet with details so they can then follow up on your problem resolution.

Best of luck!

5. Jun 30, 2012 at 4:07 PM
    mikedaddy

mikedaddy Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Jacksonville, FL
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tacoma Double 4x4
    Easy! Tell them to take the whole deal and shove it. Then move onto the next dealer.

6. Jun 30, 2012 at 4:08 PM
    Steves104x4

Steves104x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Buffalo NY
    Vehicle:
    2010 RC 2.7 4x4
    BUCKLE UP! It makes it harder for Aliens to pull you out of your Truck.
  7. Jun 30, 2012 at 4:21 PM
    EdwardHBLW

Member:
    Orlando, Fl
    Vehicle:
    Thanks guys! Just filed a complaint with the AG. The thing that sucks is that the guy told my dad that he can't cancel after they told me that they would if I had my dad go in and sign... Granted, they only live about 10 min from where the stealership is, but it was a wasted trip and we were lied to.

8. Jun 30, 2012 at 4:22 PM
    subwayaz

subwayaz Well-Known Member

Member:
    Tucson,Az
    Vehicle:
    2012 Accesscab; TRD
    Super Charger, Catback Exhaust,Side Wind Shades, & Carbon Fiber Dash Kit
    Report them to Toyota Corp office; with evidence of course

9. Jun 30, 2012 at 4:23 PM
    HomerTaco

HomerTaco also HomerTaco Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    HomerTaco
    HomerTaco
    Vehicle:
    HomerTaco
    HomerTaco ...................................................................................................................................................... Core-Hurst short throw shifter & T-handle / Carbon Fiber Interior / custom console light / De-badged / leather interior / Heated Front seats / Red Line Hood Struts / Painted speaker grills /one-off TRD Satoshi Grill with 12-15 front-end swap/ Pioneer AVIC-X920BT HU / Scangauge II / Black LED Tails / Dash Mount for iPad mini / Safari Snorkel / Auto-pilot mode / Leer 100XQ Cap / 4x Innovations sliders / Rear Diff Breather Mod / front windows tinted to 35% / Brute Force Fab Hybrid Front Bumper / BAMF Rear Diff Skid / Budbuilt Skids / CBI Trail Master 2.0 rear hybrid bumper / Fox rr coils/ TC UCA's/ TC spindle gussets/ TC Cam Tab gussets / Dakar leafs / Defined Engineering shackles / All pro U bolt flip / Timbren Rear Bumpstops / BAMF LCA skids / Exhaust re-route / Fog Light anytime Mod / LowRange Off Road extended rear brake lines / ATO Shackle Flip / sectioned Bushwhacker flares / re-geared to 4.56 / ARB Front & Rear Locking Diff / ARB CKMA12 compressor / PrInSu full rack system / 1" body lift / Inchworm 4.7 crawlbox / twin stick FJ t-case / Davez off-road triple-stick kit/
    kill them with fire.:mad:

10. Jun 30, 2012 at 4:23 PM
    river rat 69

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Vehicle:
    007, trd, sr5, fmf.
    NO Chrome,3" NFab's steps,TRD skid,Wet okie's.011 grill, k&n,5100's,All this comes right off when the old lady says let's go get a NEW ONE!!!
    ^^^^^See the last line^^^^^

11. Jun 30, 2012 at 4:33 PM
    EdwardHBLW

Member:
    Orlando, Fl
    Vehicle:
    I hear ya, but from what I was told from the other dealers I spoke to, if they were able to offer that rate for the upsell, then that was the rate that was originally qualified for. It was the other dealers that told me that the practice is unethical. I also am fine with calling unethical because they told me one thing over the phone, and told my father something different.

12. Jun 30, 2012 at 4:36 PM
    river rat 69

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Vehicle:
    007, trd, sr5, fmf.
    Was his nose getting longer and longer???

13. Jun 30, 2012 at 4:37 PM
    Steves104x4

Steves104x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Buffalo NY
    Vehicle:
    2010 RC 2.7 4x4
    BUCKLE UP! It makes it harder for Aliens to pull you out of your Truck.
    WEEEE!

14. Jul 1, 2012 at 5:03 AM
    k9cop

k9cop if your not the lead dog, the view never changes

Member:
    First Name:
    Farva
    Hogwarts
    Vehicle:
    10 tacoma dbl cab trd off road prerunner
    CST 3.5" spindles, King 2.5 rr ,All Pro Expo's, Ext. Billy 5100's rear, Ext rear All Pro brake lines, LR UCA's, debadged, Cobra 29,2ft firestick, satoshi by jim, ARB front bumper, Smittybuilt xrc8 winch, wethatecs, bhlm also by jimbob, belgium malinois and German Shepherd in bed
    Every time I buy a car I try to learn from my experience and how I can make myself less of a victim to the salesman and or stealership. I have taken my bumps and bruises and have paid for my mistakes. I went through the internet this time and had the price of the truck, payments and interest rates settled before I left the house. Being on the internet I guess made it easier to say Kiss my ass to sales idiots. I am still learning though and have a long way to go. They still get the best of me, I know this. They are in business to make money and they (dealerships), do it well. I just try not to walk out of there feeling like they didn't use any lube....

15. Jul 1, 2012 at 5:08 AM
    k9cop

k9cop if your not the lead dog, the view never changes

Member:
    First Name:
    Farva
    Hogwarts
    Vehicle:
    10 tacoma dbl cab trd off road prerunner
    CST 3.5" spindles, King 2.5 rr ,All Pro Expo's, Ext. Billy 5100's rear, Ext rear All Pro brake lines, LR UCA's, debadged, Cobra 29,2ft firestick, satoshi by jim, ARB front bumper, Smittybuilt xrc8 winch, wethatecs, bhlm also by jimbob, belgium malinois and German Shepherd in bed
    I actually watched that as painful as it was. Made me miss my mullet and tight acid wash jeans...

16. Jul 9, 2012 at 10:18 PM
    sportsterchop200

sportsterchop200 Well-Known Member

Member:
    NE Georgia
    Vehicle:
    03 TRD Tacoma 4x4
    OME 881, Bilstein 5100 @ 0", OME 10mm JK spacer, Stock rear on 265/70-16
    I didn't see your purchase date but in Florida we have either 3 or 5 day buyers periord where you can back out of the deal altogether. Your SAO should be able to advise you of it. Call the company that financed your loan and they will proably tell you if they did anything with the intrest rate. But most likely you already had the rate and the sales guy was full of shit.

Also if anyone ever buys extended warranty through the dealer for any of their vehicles make sure that you cancel it atleast 1 month prior to it's experation. Otherwise your warranty will expire and you'll still be paying for nothing. I learned that with my wifes car.

If all else fails follow him home and beat him with a crow bar............................Just kidding of coarse:)

17. Jul 9, 2012 at 10:39 PM
    pabl0

pabl0 Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Pacific Northwest Area
    Vehicle:
    Black Sand Pearl
    Keep up on Toyota USA Corporate, also see if Southeast Toyota Distributors can provide any help, as they are the distributor for Toyota dealers in Florida. Also avoid all contact with the F&I office. and keep us updated.

18. Jul 30, 2012 at 6:05 PM
    river rat 69

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Vehicle:
    007, trd, sr5, fmf.
  19. Aug 22, 2012 at 9:07 AM
    PaulPhotographer

PaulPhotographer Active Member

Member:
    Tampa Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tacoma 4x4 & 2007 FJ Cruiser
    It does not always work well using the internet either.

That is the route I took when I bought this latest Toyota. I contacted several Internet Sales teams trying to find what I wanted. Part of my problem was there was a limited supply of what I wanted. A 4x4 Access Cab and I wanted pretty quick. (I knew from previous experience, you must be willing to walk away.)

But to try a long story short, after talking (emailing and calling the internet offices) to several dealerships, I decided on the only dealer who actually had one in stock. Most of the other dealers said they could get that truck for me, but their price was slightly higher or they just matched the price after some haggling. Where the original dealers Website pretty much stayed close to the original price, and it was the lowest. That dealership was also associated with the Credit Union we use. And the Credit Union says it is supposed to be a easy deal, just as you said. Work out all the details. The go pick up the truck.

It was already getting lat in the day, it was the end of the month. Which I heard is a good time to negotiate the best price on new vehicles. The Dealership was over an hour away also. And for us to get there and finish the deal we needed to be on the road while I worked out the final details.

So while on I-75 heading south, I pulled over and got confirmation (they supposedly even recored that phone conversation) on the FINAL OUT-THE-DOOR price of the truck the Dealership had for sale on the internet. Matching the VIN numbers and everything. They said everything would be ready when I pulled in.

Well, We pulled in and I did NOT see the truck that was advertised on the internet. I did see a Access Cab, with a BUNCH of overly expensive extras installed on it.

We walked in and told the salesman that we had made an internet deal and we were here to talk to who we were talking to and finish the deal. He told me the internet people do not really make the sales. And he would finish the deal.

He pointed to the truck with all the extras on it and said there it is. I said I had a Guaranteed price for it. He told me that the internet sales force did not really know what
    was on the dealer floor.

I was flabbergasted and Super upset. I had just driven over an hour with a guaranteed price and now it was all changed.

Well the "Sales manager" said it would be an extra $5 grand for that very same truck, with the very same VIN number. Some of the extras, the 20 inch wheels and tires, Plastic Running boards, some sort of paint treatment (what a joke)!

He told me buy it at his new price (over $5,000 more) or forget it, and wait three months for another Access cab. It did not seem to matter to him one bit what the dealership had agreed on on our trip down there.

So I told him, take every off the truck and re-install the original equipment and I would take it at the agreed price. They start blubbering they can't do that. Why not! Do it, I say.

He says take it for a ride and see if I like it and they will see if they can do better. Yeah right, I know how sales people work already. But we said okay, and took a salesman with us. While driving around I tell my wife the heck with this we will just go buy a 4 door from a good dealership and turn this dealership into the State Attorneys office for "Bait and Switch" tactics. It sure could not be more "bait and Switch" then what happened to us.

After we returned to the dealership the salesman asked us to wait a few minutes and went directly to the sales manager. Then after a few minutes he came back with a lot lower price but still way above a reasonable price for the extras. (During these discussions, they said the sticker extra for the paint sealant (or whatever it was called) was not really anything and not worth charging for. Wow. The sticker price for that treatment was a lot of money, and they said it was worth nothing.)

Well this kept going on for a while, the price kept coming down lower. While I kept telling my wife we would go get a different one and expose their "Bait and Switch" tactics.

Finally they got down to a what seemed a somewhat reasonable price for all the extras. And I agreed. Then they wanted to sell me a bunch of extras. My response, was nope, nope, nope, nope!

I am sure they did make some extra money off me. And I really regret that, but oh well must move on. And I think did get a decent deal on the final truck, but I had to fight, and fight and fight with them to get it.

The funny thing is I kind of like the wheels now (the tires are another matter, lol) and I probably would not have purchased the tires myself, after I bought the truck. But I like the way they make my truck look different than most others now. lol

I also related this same story to the survey that Toyota sent out and they contacted me but said there was not a lot they could do. Except put a mark against the dealer and if they got too many, they might do something.

Whew! Sorry about the long rant after all. I did not realize how much resentment that I was still harboring against my horrible treatment from that dealership.

Everything I said is, In My Humble Opinion!

So even internet sales can go wrong!

PaulThePhotographer

20. Aug 25, 2012 at 1:02 PM
    FINDINGNEMO

FINDINGNEMO New Member

Member:

did you buy a truck or your dad?

Products Discussed in

To Top