Florida Tacomas

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Regional Discussion > Regions > Florida

Notices

How should I proceed with an unethical dealer - Toyota of Melbourne

Old 06-30-2012, 11:48 AM   #1
EdwardHBLW is on a distinguished road
EdwardHBLW's Tacoma Gallery
How should I proceed with an unethical dealer - Toyota of Melbourne

Not sure how to proceed with this, and was hoping you guys can chime in... I already have a case open with Toyota N.A., and will be calling the State Attorney's office and BBB on monday.

Long version:
So when we bought the truck, the F&I guy offered to lower the interest rate by 1% if we purchased the Perma Plate plan for $900 (which I later found out is illegal). He showed us that it would be a wash and basically would cost us nothing in the short or long run but would offer him a higher commission. My father helped with getting the loan and agreed to the Perma Plate.

After looking up what PermaPlate actually was, I called PermaPlate to cancel, and they told me that it is cancelable but through the dealership. I then called Toyota of Melbourne and spoke to Josh Fields in F&I and he told me that it's not cancelable. Not taking his word for the gospel, I called around to various dealerships that also offered the product, and they were helpful enough to tell me that I was being lied to by Toyota of Melbourne, and that what they did was illegal. From what they told me, they're not allowed to trade points for product. After hearing this, I was livid and talked to Toyota N.A. who then opened a case # for me. I called the dealership back, let them know a case is opened, and he changed his tune and told me to have my dad come in to sign the cancelation paperwork. Today, my dad goes in and he tells my dad that they are unable to cancel. At the least, Mr. Fields telling me one story and telling my father a different one is unethical, at the worst, from what I've been told from other dealers, trading interest rate for product is illegal.

I plan on talking to the Attorney General in Florida, the Better Business Bureau, as well as the local news stations about this. What would you guys do if you were in my shoes?

Cliffs version:

Dealer sold us on PermaPlate in exchange for lowering our rate, after looking up PermaPlate and reading the negative reviews on it, I call to cancel. Dealership says unable to cancel, even though PermaPlate says it is. After talking to Toyota N.A., dealership agrees to cancel if father (name on loan) comes in to sign, father goes in and dealer renegs.
Old 06-30-2012, 11:56 AM   #2
"Pick up some speed.. You'll make it."
BuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: 3rd Battalion, 1st Marines
Name: Chaz
BuzzardsGottaEat's Tacoma Gallery
Don't fool around with crafty salesmen. If he's lying to your face ask to speak to either the owner or general manager. (Remember To Stay Calm and Cool 100% of the time and speak reasonably to the manager or whoever) Tell them your situation. Literally don't even speak to the salesman again or even give him a heads up that you'll be calling his boss.

If that doesn't get you results, then start mentioning calling Toyota, or the Better Business Bureau or whatever. But see if you can sort it out reasonably with the head honcho first.

I say this because a week ago I picked up a vehicle and was lied to by the salesman about a few thing. I called the boss man and he is installing and fixing parts and saving me over $4,000 to make it right. He did nothing but apologize and said he will be taking care of that salesman who lied too.

Good luck
Old 06-30-2012, 03:51 PM   #3
BELT FED 2OZ. PULL
river rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: River Boats,Mike's & PBR'S Viet-Nam 68&69
Name: Jim
river rat 69's Tacoma Gallery
You can call your D.A's office as it sounds like its illegal to me.Worked good for us before as no one likes a call to the GM or owner from the DA's office. Car salesmen if lips are moving hes lying.. Jim
Old 06-30-2012, 03:59 PM   #4
Why ask why?
ohohvette is a splendid one to beholdohohvette is a splendid one to beholdohohvette is a splendid one to beholdohohvette is a splendid one to beholdohohvette is a splendid one to beholdohohvette is a splendid one to beholdohohvette is a splendid one to behold

Name: David
ohohvette's Tacoma Gallery
Chas is correct - Remember To Stay Calm and Cool 100% of the time. I would also include your dad in these meetings, as he co-signed, so he is part of the contract and it helps avoid the "he said/she said" later on - hopefully it won't come to that! I would start with the F&I manager. This gives them a chance to take care of the problem "in house". Also document with whom you spoke to and when. Then if you are not satisfied, move up the mgmt chain. By documenting who you have talked to, what was discussed and when, it gives the next person you meet with details so they can then follow up on your problem resolution.

Best of luck!
Old 06-30-2012, 04:07 PM   #6
mikedaddy is on a distinguished road
Name: Mike
mikedaddy's Tacoma Gallery
Easy! Tell them to take the whole deal and shove it. Then move onto the next dealer.
Old 06-30-2012, 04:08 PM   #7
Slow as shit. Cute as Hell.
Steves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
Steves104x4's Tacoma Gallery
Be nice. Be cool. Open a file with your State Attorney General and don't tell ANYONE -except us, of course) and wait for the fireworks. God, I love surprises. Wait until they see this lady walk in. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8715...yer_detailpage
Old 06-30-2012, 04:21 PM   #8
Thanks guys! Just filed a complaint with the AG. The thing that sucks is that the guy told my dad that he can't cancel after they told me that they would if I had my dad go in and sign... Granted, they only live about 10 min from where the stealership is, but it was a wasted trip and we were lied to.
Old 06-30-2012, 04:22 PM   #9
subwayaz is on a distinguished road

Air Force: Aircraft, Maint
subwayaz's Tacoma Gallery
Report them to Toyota Corp office; with evidence of course
Old 06-30-2012, 04:23 PM   #11
BELT FED 2OZ. PULL
river rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by river rat 69 View Post
You can call your D.A's office as it sounds like its illegal to me.Worked good for us before as no one likes a call to the GM or owner from the DA's office. Car salesmen if lips are moving hes lying.. Jim
^^^^^See the last line^^^^^
Old 06-30-2012, 04:28 PM   #12
Gelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Gelo760's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by subwayaz View Post
Report them to Toyota Corp office; with evidence of course
That's the thing . I doubt they can prove the lowering of the interest rate for upsell product bought . Becareful calling them unethical because you guys also agreed to it so what does that make you ? You might be able to cancel it though . It happeneds all the time . The dealer up sells and people later have a change of mind after the contract is signed . You really have to think clearly when signing contracts . Forget about the item being purchased . Don't let it sidetrack you .
Old 06-30-2012, 04:33 PM   #13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gelo760 View Post
That's the thing . I doubt they can prove the lowering of the interest rate for upsell product bought . Becareful calling them unethical because you guys also agreed to it so what does that make you ? You might be able to cancel it though . It happeneds all the time . The dealer up sells and people later have a change of mind after the contract is signed . You really have to think clearly when signing contracts . Forget about the item being purchased . Don't let it sidetrack you .
I hear ya, but from what I was told from the other dealers I spoke to, if they were able to offer that rate for the upsell, then that was the rate that was originally qualified for. It was the other dealers that told me that the practice is unethical. I also am fine with calling unethical because they told me one thing over the phone, and told my father something different.
Old 06-30-2012, 04:36 PM   #14
BELT FED 2OZ. PULL

Was his nose getting longer and longer???
Old 06-30-2012, 04:37 PM   #15
Slow as shit. Cute as Hell.
Steves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
Steves104x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardHBLW View Post
Thanks guys! Just filed a complaint with the AG. The thing that sucks is that the guy told my dad that he can't cancel after they told me that they would if I had my dad go in and sign... Granted, they only live about 10 min from where the stealership is, but it was a wasted trip and we were lied to.
WEEEE!
Old 07-01-2012, 05:03 AM   #16
if your not the lead dog, the view never changes
k9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shed

k9cop's Tacoma Gallery
Every time I buy a car I try to learn from my experience and how I can make myself less of a victim to the salesman and or stealership. I have taken my bumps and bruises and have paid for my mistakes. I went through the internet this time and had the price of the truck, payments and interest rates settled before I left the house. Being on the internet I guess made it easier to say Kiss my ass to sales idiots. I am still learning though and have a long way to go. They still get the best of me, I know this. They are in business to make money and they (dealerships), do it well. I just try not to walk out of there feeling like they didn't use any lube....
Old 07-01-2012, 05:08 AM   #17
if your not the lead dog, the view never changes
k9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shed

k9cop's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steves104x4 View Post
Be nice. Be cool. Open a file with your State Attorney General and don't tell ANYONE -except us, of course) and wait for the fireworks. God, I love surprises. Wait until they see this lady walk in. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8715...yer_detailpage
I actually watched that as painful as it was. Made me miss my mullet and tight acid wash jeans...
Old 07-09-2012, 10:18 PM   #18
sportsterchop200 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsportsterchop200 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsportsterchop200 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsportsterchop200 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsportsterchop200 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsportsterchop200 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsportsterchop200 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsportsterchop200 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsportsterchop200 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsportsterchop200 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsportsterchop200 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
sportsterchop200's Tacoma Gallery
I didn't see your purchase date but in Florida we have either 3 or 5 day buyers periord where you can back out of the deal altogether. Your SAO should be able to advise you of it. Call the company that financed your loan and they will proably tell you if they did anything with the intrest rate. But most likely you already had the rate and the sales guy was full of shit.

Also if anyone ever buys extended warranty through the dealer for any of their vehicles make sure that you cancel it atleast 1 month prior to it's experation. Otherwise your warranty will expire and you'll still be paying for nothing. I learned that with my wifes car.

If all else fails follow him home and beat him with a crow bar............................Just kidding of coarse
Old 07-09-2012, 10:39 PM   #19
pabl0 is on a distinguished road
pabl0's Tacoma Gallery
Keep up on Toyota USA Corporate, also see if Southeast Toyota Distributors can provide any help, as they are the distributor for Toyota dealers in Florida. Also avoid all contact with the F&I office. and keep us updated.
Old 07-30-2012, 06:05 PM   #20
BELT FED 2OZ. PULL

TTT