Florida Tacomas

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Regional Discussion > Regions > Florida

Notices

Looking for 2WD friendly trails (slim pickings down here)!

Old 10-07-2012, 11:46 AM   #1
TAC1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAC1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAC1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAC1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAC1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAC1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAC1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAC1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAC1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAC1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAC1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Petros "Peter" AGE: 41
TAC1's Tacoma Gallery
Looking for 2WD friendly trails (slim pickings down here)!

Hello Forum,

Miami, Florida here! Just north of Coral Gables.

I asked this question before but it's been a while and I'm hoping to get more input. What trails can I drive with my truck that are 2WD friendly? I have a:

(2008 Pre-runner, DCSB, 4.0 auto,
5 month old LT265/75r16 BFG A/T's,
4 Billie 5100's with fronts at .85
2012 TRD 2/1 leafs with Wheelers
3-Leaf AAL w/ OEM overload leaf
left in also. (Basically 5/1 leafs).

The 2 locations that I have been to in Miami are NW 41st and to SW 8 ST & 137 AVE. NW 41 st is mainly flooded dirt roads (water covering the steps on the sides of my truck) & SW 8 ST is mud with rocks on the bottom (you drive about 5 MPH and you are literally bouncing in your truck. I never went to the center of the 8 st location because I hear that place is for 4x4. I've gone in fairly deep and haven't been stuck yet.

I've Googled the following places:

* A place known as "The Hump"in Homestead.

* Bear Island in the Big Cypress National Preserve.

* J.W. Corbett in West Palm Beach.

Has anyone here with 2WD been to any of these places? If so, can a 2WD handle it? I know that there will be places that are 4WD ONLY but atleast some of it could be driven with 2WD I hope. BTW, I am not looking for mud exclusively. It can be mud or any type of scenic trails out there that I can drive through AND be able to handle light mud or flooding. Thats basically what I am looking for.

PS. I got a real good deal on this truck so I am not going to sell it just to buy a 4WD Tacoma. I'm just looking to have the most fun with what I have.

Somewhere like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3cVrUAeUz4

Here are some pics of my truck:
http://i1056.photobucket.com/albums/...ps9e501b1a.jpg
http://i1056.photobucket.com/albums/...ps3e504236.jpg
http://i1056.photobucket.com/albums/...ps1c803941.jpg
http://i1056.photobucket.com/albums/...aloutletsI.jpg
http://i1056.photobucket.com/albums/.../6-29-1211.jpg
http://i1056.photobucket.com/albums/...psd284bdcd.jpg

Old 10-29-2012, 05:01 PM   #2
FramerKat will become famous soon enough

Name: kAt
FramerKat's Tacoma Gallery
I would be curious to see if anyone has information also. I have a first generation PreRunner that I would love to do some trail running on. I also have the e-locker that could get me out of some situations, but I'm not looking to get stuck either. I'm in Fort Lauderdale, but will drive a bit for a good spot.
Old 10-29-2012, 05:03 PM   #3
My other ride has 18,400HP!!!!!!
rmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy:
Name: Ryan
rmb_crew's Tacoma Gallery
citrus is over north of tampa. That place is awesome and has tons of trails to drive around. We do meets there every couple of months for the weekend. Besides that all the ones i know of are up around NE florida.
Old 10-29-2012, 05:09 PM   #4
If at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving
colinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Colin
colinb17's Tacoma Gallery
Most of the stuff down south is just mud. the best spots are just north west of the orlando area. It's a drive from miami, but they are the kind of places that you can camp at for a few days at a time and never be bored because you have to run the same trails over and over. we have a bunch of 2wd trucks with us at every meet that do just fine.

weare having the next meet in late january, at Citrus Wildlife Management Area.

There are a few picture threads from past meets there in the Florida sub-forum. here is the thread for the january meet
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/flo...trus-meet.html
Old 10-29-2012, 07:53 PM   #5
Member Caught Off Road
AWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dan
AWorthyOpponent's Tacoma Gallery
I have been thinking about setting up another JW Corbett WMA expedition...going out there this Thursday to see what is out there...may start a thread to gauge interest if its not too wet...
Old 10-30-2012, 06:10 AM   #6
TAC1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAC1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAC1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAC1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAC1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAC1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAC1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAC1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAC1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAC1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAC1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

TAC1's Tacoma Gallery
Hello Dan,

What is a WMA?
Old 10-30-2012, 07:10 AM   #7
Member Caught Off Road
AWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shed

WMA is an abbreviation for Wildlife Management Area. Wildlife Management Areas (WMAs) are protected areas set aside for the conservation of wildlife and for recreational activities involving wildlife. Most WMA's in Florida are used for hunting, and therefore partially accessible by vehicles.

JW Corbett is a WMA as is Big Cypress, and Citrus and Croom (two of the trails that the Orlando guys hit often)
Old 10-31-2012, 08:09 AM   #8

TAC1's Tacoma Gallery
AAAHHH! OK. You posted that you want to first go there and see if the trail isn't too flooded, correct? If so, let me know
Thanks
Old 11-01-2012, 03:48 AM   #9
Finks99Taco has a brilliant futureFinks99Taco has a brilliant futureFinks99Taco has a brilliant futureFinks99Taco has a brilliant futureFinks99Taco has a brilliant futureFinks99Taco has a brilliant futureFinks99Taco has a brilliant futureFinks99Taco has a brilliant futureFinks99Taco has a brilliant futureFinks99Taco has a brilliant futureFinks99Taco has a brilliant future

Name: 'Fink'
Finks99Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Heard couple of the trails out there are now flowing rivers.
Old 11-01-2012, 07:08 AM   #10
Member Caught Off Road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finks99Taco View Post
Heard couple of the trails out there are now flowing rivers.
I'm headed out there tonight with a couple lifted Ram 2500's...I'll take some videos with my GoPro and post back. Rumor has it the grades have been smoothed out and most of the DEEP buggy rutts that we encountered there have been filled in prep for hunting season...
Old 11-01-2012, 08:18 AM   #11
FramerKat will become famous soon enough

Name: kAt
FramerKat's Tacoma Gallery
The Wildlife Management Areas are also good for photography...the hubby and I have been to some around Lake Okeechobee for that. They are just dirt/gravel roads on the ones we've been to though...nothing thrilling.
Old 11-01-2012, 10:59 AM   #12
Finks99Taco has a brilliant futureFinks99Taco has a brilliant futureFinks99Taco has a brilliant futureFinks99Taco has a brilliant futureFinks99Taco has a brilliant futureFinks99Taco has a brilliant futureFinks99Taco has a brilliant futureFinks99Taco has a brilliant futureFinks99Taco has a brilliant futureFinks99Taco has a brilliant futureFinks99Taco has a brilliant future

Name: 'Fink'
Finks99Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWorthyOpponent View Post
I'm headed out there tonight with a couple lifted Ram 2500's...I'll take some videos with my GoPro and post back. Rumor has it the grades have been smoothed out and most of the DEEP buggy rutts that we encountered there have been filled in prep for hunting season...
Buddy of mine from work said the main grade going in off Seminole Pratt was smoothed out and widened.
Old 11-02-2012, 06:51 AM   #13

TAC1's Tacoma Gallery
Sounds good. Keep us posted. Much appreciated!
Old 11-02-2012, 07:36 AM   #14
Member Caught Off Road

Went out to JW Corbett...

Friend Flipped her Blazer...Inspected by FWC at 2am for burning pallets (apparently not allowed)...ALMOST sunk the new Taco...but all in all, a good time.

The grade is perfect. They have apparently just redone the road. You can go as fast as you'd like, but with the winding roads, you better be careful or you might end up upside down in Corbett water.

It is a bit wet, but not as bad as I thought it would be. The biggest challenge won't be the water down the trails, it will be how narrow they are. Unless you don't mind adding racing stripes to the side of your truck, I'd recommend not going without a scout and a machete. Some of the trails get deep quick.

I'll post more...but I'm exhausted...
Old 11-04-2012, 06:38 PM   #15

TAC1's Tacoma Gallery
Hey Dan,

Did you take any pics?
Old 11-05-2012, 08:07 PM   #16
Member Caught Off Road

I did...but they are mostly of my buddy's blazer flipped over in the mud...

Most of the trails are doable, just tight. Water level is a little lower than last time we went, so I don't think that'll be a problem. The grade (main road) is smooth as a paved street. Problem is finding your way down the right trails out there...

Would it be worth a drive up from Miami...? If you are adventurous, and enjoy exploring new places, maybe. If you want to camp a night...yes.
Old 11-06-2012, 07:20 AM   #17

TAC1's Tacoma Gallery
I doubt that I will camp but I DO enjoy exploring new places & I AM adventurous (atleast I THINK I am, LOL) as long as it's legal & I do not damage my truck so I do want to go. Remember, I DO have a Prerunner. I don't know if it will be November or December. I work Monday through Saturday so I am available on Sundays but I have November taken up pretty much. If not I would go this Sunday. I want to go with my wife & 2 boys (19 & 15) & my co-worker will go in his F-150 also.

In December besides being available almost every Sunday I will take some time off (not sure when yet) so I will let you know. I will make sure to give you adequate time if it's this month or December.

Thanks
Old 11-06-2012, 08:51 AM   #18

TAC1's Tacoma Gallery
I may be able to go Nov 18. Not this Sunday but next Sunday. Is that good for you? I PM'd you my phone #. It's easier to talk, I think.