1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Tampa: how bad is traffic?

Discussion in 'Florida' started by Adam Baum, Oct 22, 2012.

1. Oct 22, 2012 at 12:38 AM
    Adam Baum

Adam Baum [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    PCS
    Vehicle:
    01 PreRunner SR5 debadged
    Unless things change I'm going to Macdill. The only information I have about the area is what the internet has graced me with :p

How bad is traffic?

What areas should I look into if I want to ride a bicycle or 250cc scooter/motorcycle to work?

Also have a wife and 2 kids (2yr old and a 7 month) and would like to make sure we live in a decent area where they can go walking without feeling unsafe. Being near the water would be a plus since my family likes to go fishing. Would also like a place where I can go trail running on a regular basis without having to drive there. I've used this website (http://www.getactivetampa.com/cyclingtampabayinfo.html) as a guide, and the San Antonio area seems to be what I'm looking for. The only problem is the 80mile round trip everyday to work lol.

I've emailed a few real estate people, but they just want to sell me a house obviously. I have no plans on buying anything for at least a year.

2. Oct 22, 2012 at 4:51 AM
    12SuperWhiteDC

12SuperWhiteDC Well-Known Member

Member:
    West Alabama
    Vehicle:
    12 DC SR5
    I've never lived in Tampa, but I've been in and out of there a whole bunch of times for work. You have an uphill battle to find what you're looking for without sitting in traffic. Unless you can fly or boat to work, 80 mile commutes are gonna suck.

Tampa Traffic cams: http://www.baynews9.com/content/news/baynews9/traffic/traffic-cams.html

Maps.google.com has a real-time traffic feature. Bridges define much of the traffic, as you can never have enough of them.

Check these sites out during morning and evening commutes, and at peak shopping hours on the weekends. Summer season traffic is noticeable, especially near the airport.

3. Oct 22, 2012 at 6:07 AM
    k9cop

k9cop if your not the lead dog, the view never changes

Member:
    First Name:
    Farva
    Hogwarts
    Vehicle:
    10 tacoma dbl cab trd off road prerunner
    CST 3.5" spindles, King 2.5 rr ,All Pro Expo's, Ext. Billy 5100's rear, Ext rear All Pro brake lines, LR UCA's, debadged, Cobra 29,2ft firestick, satoshi by jim, ARB front bumper, Smittybuilt xrc8 winch, wethatecs, bhlm also by jimbob, belgium malinois and German Shepherd in bed
    Traffic sux in Tampa. It's really bad

4. Oct 22, 2012 at 9:53 AM
    Jon4x4

Jon4x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Deltona, Fl
    Vehicle:
    1996 T4R
    3” kit 305’s
    orlando sucks too. All the major cities suck. too many idiots now a days

5. Oct 22, 2012 at 9:59 AM
    cameron172

cameron172 Well-Known Member

Member:
    VA
    Vehicle:
    2017 Super White TRD Sport MT
    I made the Dale Mabry drive from North Tampa to HCC everyday a few years ago. Dale Mabry to Hillsborough to campus was the bane of my existence. Just don't be in a rush to go anywhere and be merciful and you'll be fine.

6. Oct 22, 2012 at 11:14 AM
    k9cop

k9cop if your not the lead dog, the view never changes

Member:
    First Name:
    Farva
    Hogwarts
    Vehicle:
    10 tacoma dbl cab trd off road prerunner
    CST 3.5" spindles, King 2.5 rr ,All Pro Expo's, Ext. Billy 5100's rear, Ext rear All Pro brake lines, LR UCA's, debadged, Cobra 29,2ft firestick, satoshi by jim, ARB front bumper, Smittybuilt xrc8 winch, wethatecs, bhlm also by jimbob, belgium malinois and German Shepherd in bed
    I can get around orlando just fine.:cool:

7. Oct 22, 2012 at 3:56 PM
    Dr. Cornwallis

Dr. Cornwallis Well-Known Member

Member:
    Flarrrrrrrida
    Vehicle:
    2016 Super White TRD Offroad 4x4 AC
    Lived in Tampa my whole life, the traffic in the Tampa area and outlying suburbs sucks ass. Great place to live though. Check out Valrico and the Fishhawk area. Nice suburbs. Also check out North Tampa around the Lutz area.

8. Oct 22, 2012 at 6:19 PM
    cameron172

cameron172 Well-Known Member

Member:
    VA
    Vehicle:
    2017 Super White TRD Sport MT
    I grew up in Lutz. Love the area!

9. Oct 22, 2012 at 6:37 PM
    Boerseun

Boerseun Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ferdie
    Sarasota, Florida
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra TRD Sport 4x4
    Upgraded 2002 Tacoma to 2018 Tundra
    Sorry to say OP, I don't want to "break your speed", but traffic in Tampa sucks, as others above have already mentioned. There is no easy way to get to McDill, no matter where you are coming from.
    I am in Sarasota (about 1 hour south) where traffic is a breeze, but I sometimes go to Tampa for work and everytime remind myself not to do it too often.
    However, that being said, traffic is bad in most cities, so other than traffic the Tampa Bay Area is the best place to be. Lots of water, beaches, attractions etc. You will really enjoy living here.

10. Oct 22, 2012 at 9:55 PM
    atalladega

atalladega Well-Known Member

Member:
    Citrus Springs, FL
    Vehicle:
    06 double cab, 4x4 TRD off-road
    Went to USF and lived there for 10 years. Traffic sucked then and still does. Malfunction junction, new tampa, downtown and I-4 all suck during the times you need to be somewhere.

11. Oct 22, 2012 at 10:01 PM
    Adam Baum

Adam Baum [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    PCS
    Vehicle:
    01 PreRunner SR5 debadged
    I'm a pretty patient guy, and growing up in Houston I learned to ride a bicycle everywhere. Is that town bicycle friendly (ie: has plenty of sidewalks or bicycle only lanes)?

I'll definitely look into the 3 areas mentioned above. Just doing a quick mapquest search looks like Fishhawk would be the best place to go if I want to be near the water. Basically a straight shot from there to Gibsonton.

What about the suburbs like Clearwater, Largo, Pinella Park and such? I noticed on the map that I-275 is pretty close, and mapquest says I can take Gandy Blvd N to work.

12. Oct 22, 2012 at 10:09 PM
    atalladega

atalladega Well-Known Member

Member:
    Citrus Springs, FL
    Vehicle:
    06 double cab, 4x4 TRD off-road
    Yes downtown, south tampa, bayshore, the area around the base. All pretty bicycle friendly

13. Oct 23, 2012 at 7:43 PM
    SpruceTaco

SpruceTaco トヨタ

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Clearwater, FL
    Vehicle:
    2012 Spruce Mica TRD Sport
    Tinted windows 5%, sill protectors, TRD stubby antenna, weathertech in channel rain guards, wheathertech floor mats, BHLM, Truxedo low pro qt, DTRL deleted, anytime backup camera, bed storage locks, fog lights on anytime, tailgate theft deterrent, painted engine cover, relocated horns, l.e.d bed lights, l.e.d engine bay lights, l.e.d lights above cup holders, in glove box, rear cup holder, in console storage & cubby next to steering wheel, Grillcraft grill, 17x8.5 SCS Ray10's, 35x12.50 Nitto Ridge Grapplers, Borla cat back exhaust, map & dome l.e.d's, TEQ badge on grill, Redline tuning hood struts, Maxtrac spindles, SPC Light Racing UCA's, Bilstein 5100's front set at 0 with OME 885's & extended length Bilstein 5100's in the rear, All Pro expedition leaf springs & 2" blocks, extended brake lines front & rear, 1.5" 4crawler drive shaft spacer, Beefed Taco carrier bearing drop, 1.25" spidertrax wheel spacers on rear, Kenwood DNX570 touchscreen with navigation, 30" led light bar in lower bumper opening, 1/4" top plate spacer drivers side, Bullet Proof Fabricating skid plate, Cali Raised ditch lights & Rago f Fabrication brackets, Amp Research power steps, smoked l.e.d 3rd brake light, Wet Okole seat covers, under cab LED'S tied to dome circuit
    What about the suburbs like Clearwater, Largo, Pinella Park and such? I noticed on the map that I-275 is pretty close, and mapquest says I can take Gandy Blvd N to work.[/QUOTE]

I live in Clearwater & work in Tampa/Ybor City. it's 21 miles to work & it takes me 30 minutes in the morning at 6 to get there & 45 min to an hr to get home at 3:30. Macdill is about 30 miles from me & it doesn't take much longer to get there I've been there a few times for the air shows.
    Clearwater is like any other place it has good areas & bad areas. There are a few trails around here & we are between the gulf & bay for fishing. Pinellas park is kinda trashy IMO & Largo is so so.

Products Discussed in

To Top