Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Regional Discussion > Regions > Florida

Notices

Tampa: how bad is traffic?

Old 10-22-2012, 01:38 AM   #1
Adam Baum is on a distinguished road

Air Force:
Adam Baum's Tacoma Gallery
Tampa: how bad is traffic?

Unless things change I'm going to Macdill. The only information I have about the area is what the internet has graced me with

How bad is traffic?

What areas should I look into if I want to ride a bicycle or 250cc scooter/motorcycle to work?

Also have a wife and 2 kids (2yr old and a 7 month) and would like to make sure we live in a decent area where they can go walking without feeling unsafe. Being near the water would be a plus since my family likes to go fishing. Would also like a place where I can go trail running on a regular basis without having to drive there. I've used this website (http://www.getactivetampa.com/cyclingtampabayinfo.html) as a guide, and the San Antonio area seems to be what I'm looking for. The only problem is the 80mile round trip everyday to work lol.

I've emailed a few real estate people, but they just want to sell me a house obviously. I have no plans on buying anything for at least a year.
Old 10-22-2012, 05:51 AM   #2
12SuperWhiteDC is one of the sharper tools in the shed12SuperWhiteDC is one of the sharper tools in the shed12SuperWhiteDC is one of the sharper tools in the shed12SuperWhiteDC is one of the sharper tools in the shed12SuperWhiteDC is one of the sharper tools in the shed12SuperWhiteDC is one of the sharper tools in the shed12SuperWhiteDC is one of the sharper tools in the shed12SuperWhiteDC is one of the sharper tools in the shed12SuperWhiteDC is one of the sharper tools in the shed12SuperWhiteDC is one of the sharper tools in the shed12SuperWhiteDC is one of the sharper tools in the shed

12SuperWhiteDC's Tacoma Gallery
Cool

I've never lived in Tampa, but I've been in and out of there a whole bunch of times for work. You have an uphill battle to find what you're looking for without sitting in traffic. Unless you can fly or boat to work, 80 mile commutes are gonna suck.

Tampa Traffic cams: http://www.baynews9.com/content/news...ffic-cams.html

Maps.google.com has a real-time traffic feature. Bridges define much of the traffic, as you can never have enough of them.

Check these sites out during morning and evening commutes, and at peak shopping hours on the weekends. Summer season traffic is noticeable, especially near the airport.
Old 10-22-2012, 10:53 AM   #4
I pull Tacomas' around for a living.
Jon4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJon4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJon4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJon4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJon4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJon4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJon4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJon4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJon4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJon4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJon4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jonathan (Jon)
Jon4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Jon4x4
orlando sucks too. All the major cities suck. too many idiots now a days
Old 10-22-2012, 10:59 AM   #5
cameron172 will become famous soon enough

Navy: Student Naval Aviator
Name: Cameron
cameron172's Tacoma Gallery
I made the Dale Mabry drive from North Tampa to HCC everyday a few years ago. Dale Mabry to Hillsborough to campus was the bane of my existence. Just don't be in a rush to go anywhere and be merciful and you'll be fine.
Old 10-22-2012, 12:14 PM   #6
if your not the lead dog, the view never changes
k9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rocky
k9cop's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon4x4 View Post
orlando sucks too. All the major cities suck. too many idiots now a days
I can get around orlando just fine.
Old 10-22-2012, 04:56 PM   #7
Dr. Cornwallis is on a distinguished road
Dr. Cornwallis's Tacoma Gallery
Lived in Tampa my whole life, the traffic in the Tampa area and outlying suburbs sucks ass. Great place to live though. Check out Valrico and the Fishhawk area. Nice suburbs. Also check out North Tampa around the Lutz area.
Old 10-22-2012, 07:19 PM   #8
cameron172 will become famous soon enough

Navy: Student Naval Aviator
Name: Cameron
cameron172's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Cornwallis View Post
Lived in Tampa my whole life, the traffic in the Tampa area and outlying suburbs sucks ass. Great place to live though. Check out Valrico and the Fishhawk area. Nice suburbs. Also check out North Tampa around the Lutz area.
I grew up in Lutz. Love the area!
Old 10-22-2012, 07:37 PM   #9
Boerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: (South Africa) Mechanized Infantry. 1 SAI Btn
Name: Ferdie
Boerseun's Tacoma Gallery
Sorry to say OP, I don't want to "break your speed", but traffic in Tampa sucks, as others above have already mentioned. There is no easy way to get to McDill, no matter where you are coming from.
I am in Sarasota (about 1 hour south) where traffic is a breeze, but I sometimes go to Tampa for work and everytime remind myself not to do it too often.
However, that being said, traffic is bad in most cities, so other than traffic the Tampa Bay Area is the best place to be. Lots of water, beaches, attractions etc. You will really enjoy living here.
Old 10-22-2012, 10:55 PM   #10
atalladega has a brilliant futureatalladega has a brilliant futureatalladega has a brilliant futureatalladega has a brilliant futureatalladega has a brilliant futureatalladega has a brilliant futureatalladega has a brilliant futureatalladega has a brilliant futureatalladega has a brilliant futureatalladega has a brilliant futureatalladega has a brilliant future

atalladega's Tacoma Gallery
Went to USF and lived there for 10 years. Traffic sucked then and still does. Malfunction junction, new tampa, downtown and I-4 all suck during the times you need to be somewhere.
Old 10-22-2012, 11:01 PM   #11
Adam Baum is on a distinguished road

Air Force:
Adam Baum's Tacoma Gallery
I'm a pretty patient guy, and growing up in Houston I learned to ride a bicycle everywhere. Is that town bicycle friendly (ie: has plenty of sidewalks or bicycle only lanes)?

I'll definitely look into the 3 areas mentioned above. Just doing a quick mapquest search looks like Fishhawk would be the best place to go if I want to be near the water. Basically a straight shot from there to Gibsonton.

What about the suburbs like Clearwater, Largo, Pinella Park and such? I noticed on the map that I-275 is pretty close, and mapquest says I can take Gandy Blvd N to work.
Old 10-22-2012, 11:09 PM   #12
atalladega has a brilliant futureatalladega has a brilliant futureatalladega has a brilliant futureatalladega has a brilliant futureatalladega has a brilliant futureatalladega has a brilliant futureatalladega has a brilliant futureatalladega has a brilliant futureatalladega has a brilliant futureatalladega has a brilliant futureatalladega has a brilliant future

atalladega's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Baum View Post
I'm a pretty patient guy, and growing up in Houston I learned to ride a bicycle everywhere. Is that town bicycle friendly (ie: has plenty of sidewalks or bicycle only lanes)?
Yes downtown, south tampa, bayshore, the area around the base. All pretty bicycle friendly
Old 10-23-2012, 08:43 PM   #13
SpruceTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpruceTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpruceTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpruceTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpruceTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpruceTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpruceTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpruceTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpruceTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpruceTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpruceTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
SpruceTaco's Tacoma Gallery
What about the suburbs like Clearwater, Largo, Pinella Park and such? I noticed on the map that I-275 is pretty close, and mapquest says I can take Gandy Blvd N to work.[/QUOTE]

I live in Clearwater & work in Tampa/Ybor City. it's 21 miles to work & it takes me 30 minutes in the morning at 6 to get there & 45 min to an hr to get home at 3:30. Macdill is about 30 miles from me & it doesn't take much longer to get there I've been there a few times for the air shows.
Clearwater is like any other place it has good areas & bad areas. There are a few trails around here & we are between the gulf & bay for fishing. Pinellas park is kinda trashy IMO & Largo is so so.