1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Stuck in Miami sand + tow hook question (with pics)

Discussion in 'Florida' started by TAC1, Nov 11, 2012.

1. Nov 11, 2012 at 4:36 PM
    TAC1

TAC1 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tac1
    Miami, FL
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB O/R 4WD
    Hello Forum,

My friend Manny, who has an '89 F-150 4WD invited me to go check out some sand dunes located at nw 199 st & 27 ave in Miami (accross from SunLife stadium). I went in my '08 Prerunner DCSB 4.0 and I did good in the open areas:

Click for full-size image (1024 x 768)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

but when I tried to go through a dirt bike trail my truck it just dug into the soft sand:

[​IMG]

Being an open diff & going in there with 35psi in the tires did not help the situation. Luckily, Manny pulled me out. I have the wheelers tow strap but he had one also so I didn't use mine. Now I realize that I need a tow hook for the front. This is how the front looks now:

Drivers side

[​IMG]

Passenger side

[​IMG]

I assume that the hook will be installed on the passenger side since I have that loop thing on the drivers side. Where can I buy this & what do they go for? I read somewhere that someone bought a hook at for like $9. Any suggestions?

Also, I see that 4WheelParts sells this for the 8.4 diff in my truck.

Toyota Tacoma 8in.TrueTrac - EAT913A541
    [​IMG]

Can I have them install it too or does anyone recommend someone else to the the install. I have heard mixed reviews regarding them but I don't know anyone else. I want it to be a reputable shop.

Thanks [​IMG]

PS: I posted this in the 2nd Gen section also.

2. Nov 11, 2012 at 4:53 PM
    TAC1

Member:
    First Name:
    Tac1
    Miami, FL
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB O/R 4WD
    I think I posted the wrong part #.

This is the one:
    Toyota 8.4in. TrueTrac - EAT913A612

It is a limited slip diff.

3. Nov 11, 2012 at 6:58 PM
    Finks99Taco

Finks99Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    'Fink'
    Coconut Creek, Florida
    Vehicle:
    1993 pickup
    They do sell the hooks are harbor freight. Not too bad on price.
    I had to put a hook on the front of mine but its a first gen. I think those 2nd gens just have loop up front.
    Looks like fun out there

4. Nov 12, 2012 at 7:53 AM
    07 BLACK FJ

07 BLACK FJ Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    Fort Lauderdale
    which way are you looking, looks like a little fun id like to get a hold of

5. Nov 12, 2012 at 8:03 AM
    David K

David K Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Differential Breather Mod Light Bar: 4 Cree LED lamps Bilstein 5100s Ride Rite Air Bags
    Or JUST LET the AIR OUT! Seriously, if you dropped your 4 tires to around 10 psi, you could have played a bit more in the sand, and not need to be pulled. Of course, different sand requires different pressure levels, if 10 isn't floating, then go to 8... but not any lower without serious risk... Also, you can't be driving crazy, turning sharp, slamming on the brake, etc... all of which could pop the tire off the rim... Just drive normal to get out of the sand if you get stuck in it... Clear away any built up sand from in front of the tires before you first try to drive away after being stuck. Sand in front of the tires is lock blocks to keep you from rolling ahead... and will just make the rear tires spin you in deeper.

6. Nov 13, 2012 at 4:27 AM
    TAC1

Member:
    First Name:
    Tac1
    Miami, FL
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB O/R 4WD
    Very good info David K. I will go out there again and try that. I have a portable air compressor also so I can air up before I leave. Thanks again for the advice!
    BTW, I wont go alone!
    :)

7. Nov 13, 2012 at 8:05 AM
    David K

David K Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Differential Breather Mod Light Bar: 4 Cree LED lamps Bilstein 5100s Ride Rite Air Bags
    In Baja, the Mexican fishermen tend their nets using an old 2WD pickup on the beach with nearly flat tires... If you need to stop, and if the beach has a slope, stop pointed downhill, so getting going again is not as much an effort for the truck... avoid spinning the tires.

Nothing beats having 4WD for ease of driving and peace of mind... but until you get a 4x4, deflate!

8. Nov 13, 2012 at 4:30 PM
    TAC1

Member:
    First Name:
    Tac1
    Miami, FL
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB O/R 4WD
    Hello,

Finks99Taco:
    I ended up buying the TRD hook with the correct size OEM bolts from a fellow forum member, Toyota Tech31, for $55.00 shipped.

07 BLACK FJ:
    In the 1st pic I am looking East towards the city of Miami Gardens & in the second pic I am looking North towards Broward County.

David K:
    I plan on going again as I previously stated & I WILL deflate my tires. I want to test my portable air compressore first.

BTW, If any of you ever want to get together & go out there one day then let me know. It's not a huge place but it has it's interesting parts. My friend drove his truck up a hill that was so steep he dragged the chasis of the truck over it & almost got stuck. He landed so hard that I hit my head with the truck ceiling & his battery cable popped off the battery itself! Also, It has some mud in the middle that his 4X4 struggled to complete so it has it's challenges!

Personally, I would not do that even if I had the most off-road ready Tacoma out there. I just can't see myself beating up my truck that way. He has an '89 rusted out F-150 4X4 so he doesn't care.

9. Nov 13, 2012 at 4:38 PM
    SkeeterBilt

SkeeterBilt Zombie

Member:
    First Name:
    Skeeter
    Sierra Vista, AZ
    Vehicle:
    07 Prerunner DC LB TRD Zombie Response Team
    Black Satoshi Grill, Blacked Out Head Lights & Fog lights, Tint, Vent Visors, Shaved Emblems, Oil Catch Can, Ipod Hookup to Stock Head Unit, Sony Speakers, TRD Seat Covers, Xtra D-Rings and Other Small Things.... Lift and more to come
    lets talk about the hook on the front... i have the same set up and would like to change it out. i too have seen the harbor frieght one but what are guys doin up front the change that out? pics?

10. Nov 20, 2012 at 6:07 PM
    TAC1

Member:
    First Name:
    Tac1
    Miami, FL
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB O/R 4WD
    I bought this from Toyota Tech31

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. Dec 31, 2012 at 5:56 PM
    MIAtaco

MIAtaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Miami FL
    Vehicle:
    2010 tacoma base lifted
    2.75" front lift 2.5" rear, pro comp es3000 rear shocks w/ orange shock boots, custom exhaust, k&n cold air intake, 20" led light bar behind grill, aftermarket grill, T-rex3 eyelids, pioneer HD radio
    I want to check this place out

Products Discussed in

To Top