Florida Tacomas

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Regional Discussion > Regions > Florida

Notices

Detroit True Trac Limited Slip diff. Expense worth for my use?

Old 11-12-2012, 07:28 AM   #1
TAC1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAC1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAC1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAC1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAC1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAC1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAC1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAC1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAC1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAC1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAC1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Petros "Peter" AGE: 41
TAC1's Tacoma Gallery
Detroit True Trac Limited Slip diff. Expense worth for my use?

Hello Forum,

I don't know if you saw my post yesterday where I got stuck in the sand. It was only in that bike trail section. In the places pictured I was fine. I am on the fence about buying the Detroit True Trac Limited Slip for my truck. The 2 reasons are money and reliability.

I am wondering if it's worth it to spend about 800 to $900 on something that I have not needed and for the very few times that I go off-road (6 this year and I only got stuck once). Plus, I will not go alone so I will have someone to pull me out.

Also, my truck has 49,569 miles on it now and it is problem free (Thank God) & I am afraid of having to go back and forth with issues afterwards. I've pulled my dad-in-laws boat that weighs 4600lbs with the trailer, up some slippery ramps & I have not needed it at all.

My question is: Is it worth it for my use?

After I go to Corbett I probably won't go out to the Miami places until Jan or Feb when they are dry.

Thanks
Old 11-12-2012, 07:31 AM   #2
anthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Anthony
anthony250f's Tacoma Gallery
Get a arb air locker
Old 08-04-2013, 05:47 PM   #3
StanBo is on a distinguished road

Name: Stan
StanBo's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to StanBo
Did you end up getting a locker?
Old 08-04-2013, 05:56 PM   #4
UrPebkac has a brilliant futureUrPebkac has a brilliant futureUrPebkac has a brilliant futureUrPebkac has a brilliant futureUrPebkac has a brilliant futureUrPebkac has a brilliant futureUrPebkac has a brilliant futureUrPebkac has a brilliant futureUrPebkac has a brilliant futureUrPebkac has a brilliant futureUrPebkac has a brilliant future

Name: David
UrPebkac's Tacoma Gallery
Is the Corbett area still over run with buggy's? Haven't been there in 10 years. All I remember is seeing buggys...
Old 08-05-2013, 06:32 AM   #5
TAC1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAC1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAC1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAC1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAC1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAC1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAC1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAC1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAC1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAC1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAC1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Petros "Peter" AGE: 41
TAC1's Tacoma Gallery
Hello anthony250f, StanBo, & UrPebkac,

anthony250f
Nice truck! Very aggressive looking! I apologize for not noticing your reply in November.

StanBo
Nice truck also. I like the Long beds. I like that 240 also. My co-worker has one. Same color & it's a coupe like yours. He's running a 1J Supra engine & it's automatic. A true sleeper!

UrPebkac
I love the wheels. I just happen to have a set of FJ's also.

As for my diff choice:

I ended up getting an entire OEM LSD 3rd member from the dealership. I bought it through my friends employee price when he was working there. If not for that deal then I would have definitely gone the True Trac route.

I sold my original open diffed 3rd to PMK. He bought it because it had low miles and he wants to install the True Trac in it and into his truck. You can PM him. Great guy & very knowledgeable.

Thanks.

UrPebkac,
I currently have 16x7 OEM Steelies with BFG A/T's, 265/75r16. Either tomorrow or Wednesday I will install my FJ's. I'm going with BFG's in 265 or 275/70r17's. I'm hoping that they will sit flush with the fenders. Do you have any pics showing that?

I have Billies at 1.75,
1/4" spacer on l/f strut to eliminate taco lean,
Wheelers 3 leaf AAL with the OEM load leaf left in,

Hub to fender front: 22.25
Hub to fender rear:: 24.25

As for JW Corbett. I didn't see one buggy out there. There was a lot of hunting going on. A lot of the trails were closed though. I went with people who had been there before & they told me that it used to be much nicer.

You can PM them since they have gone out there afterwards. They are:
AWorthyOpponent,
Jmangone,
Finks99Taco.

Here are a few pics of my truck BEFORE & AFTER the diff swap:

OPEN DIFF:

OEM Mechanical LSD: (same area)

Outside that same area:

Thanks.