1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Any recommendations for a shop in South Florida to install leaf springs/shocks

Discussion in 'Florida' started by FramerKat, Jan 9, 2013.

1. Jan 9, 2013 at 2:50 PM
    FramerKat

FramerKat [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    kAt
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida
    Vehicle:
    2004 PreRunner TRD Limited DC
    Wheeler's five pack leaf springs, Bilstein 5100s (rear), front tint, windshield top tint, Century Camper Shell/Cap/Topper, Wade window visors, Wade bug shield, cassette adaptor (so I can play Slacker Radio via my phone!), Sunday Blues with Dar sticker, Wounded Warrior Project sticker, no NRA sticker 'cause I don't wanna advertise ;-)
    I am thinking about ordering a set of springs/shocks from Wheelers. I don't have my own shop, so I would need someone local to install them for me. Does anyone have recommendations of a good suspension place that will install them on my first gen Tacoma?

Any information appreciated!

2. Jan 9, 2013 at 3:00 PM
    Tacomaniacal

Tacomaniacal luv gettin in the Taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    South Florida
    Vehicle:
    '01 double cab 3.4 2WD
    Custom grille, 7" Pioneer touchscreen DVD/iPod player, Dunlop Fierce Attitude 265/75/16 M/T
    It's a real quick & easy job. Just call a couple of truck shops and get a quote over the phone. Probly get it done cheap as hell to. I didn't have a spring compressor and didnt want to mess with it either and got a guy at a shop to do it for $50 cash on his lunch break

3. Jan 9, 2013 at 3:06 PM
    4banger09

4banger09 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    Nb, Canada
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma Access cab 4cyl
    Leveled
    Another guy on here got quotes from some shops for 400 bucks for the labour alone. Which is ridiculous, so it may be worth it to try it on your own and rent the proper parts.

4. Jan 10, 2013 at 8:00 AM
    Tacomaniacal

Tacomaniacal luv gettin in the Taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    South Florida
    Vehicle:
    '01 double cab 3.4 2WD
    Custom grille, 7" Pioneer touchscreen DVD/iPod player, Dunlop Fierce Attitude 265/75/16 M/T
    $400 wtf! Remove the wheel and its Iike 3 bolts. Compressing the spring is the only PIA. you can rent a spring compressor from an auto parts store for $20-40 for the day. Super easy

5. Jan 10, 2013 at 8:44 AM
    Nd4Spd86

Nd4Spd86 Turdarado extractor

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Crystal River, FL
    Vehicle:
    '10 trd off-road 4x4
    some crappy dealer installed lift , 285's, trail pin striping, and a grill full of lights.
    I think the OP is talking about a set of leafs, so it wouldn't even require a spring compressor. Just jack the back of the truck up unbolt the shocks and u bolts, unbolt the springs and then do the steps in reverse. piece of cake.

6. Jan 12, 2013 at 3:17 PM
    FramerKat

Member:
    First Name:
    kAt
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida
    Vehicle:
    Wheeler's five pack leaf springs, Bilstein 5100s (rear), front tint, windshield top tint, Century Camper Shell/Cap/Topper, Wade window visors, Wade bug shield, cassette adaptor (so I can play Slacker Radio via my phone!), Sunday Blues with Dar sticker, Wounded Warrior Project sticker, no NRA sticker 'cause I don't wanna advertise ;-)
    Yeah, I'm sure I could do it on my own if I had a place to do it. I live in a condo where we can't work on our vehicles and I don't have a place to do it. So I need to find a shop...and hopefully one that won't be that expensive.

I got the quote from Wheeler's Offroad for the five leaf pack and the Bilstein 5100s...so the total is over $760 with shipping. A bit rich for my taste considering I'm going to have to pay labor to install them. Going to search locally for something similar...I'm sure I can get the Bilsteins around here just fine, it'll just be finding the leafpacks that'll be the tougher part.

7. Jan 13, 2013 at 3:09 PM
    AWorthyOpponent

AWorthyOpponent Member Caught Off Road

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Palm Beach County, Florida
    Vehicle:
    2013 MGM DCLB TRD SPORT 4x4
    TRD Catback Exhaust
    I got a friend that works for the sheriffs office doing custom work for their wetlands units. He also does custom work under his company hes starting "Winstead Fabrications". LMK if you want his number...he wants to get his name out there and will do great work for cheap...

8. Jan 14, 2013 at 8:01 AM
    FramerKat

Member:
    First Name:
    kAt
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida
    Vehicle:
    That would be awesome AWorthyOpponent...could you PM me his information?

Thanks!

9. Jan 15, 2013 at 10:14 PM
    jslum

jslum Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    jason
    SoFL
    I would be interested too. I want to do 5100s and AAL on my 2013

10. Jan 16, 2013 at 12:58 PM
    AWorthyOpponent

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Vehicle:
    TRD Catback Exhaust
    I'm talking to him now. He is trying to figure out a flat rate, but guesses It'll be around $100-150 if you have the parts. Once he does one so he can see exactly whats involved, he'd prob even come to you.

Call and leave a message letting him know your truck's information (Yr, make, model, 4x4,etc...)

James - Winstead Fabrications
    (561) 328-3148

11. Jan 16, 2013 at 9:28 PM
    jslum

jslum Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    jason
    SoFL
    awesome. Thanks!

12. Jan 20, 2013 at 3:21 PM
    FramerKat

Member:
    First Name:
    kAt
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida
    Vehicle:
    Okay, through an odd chain of events, I have received a check from my insurance company that would cover the cost of parts for my rear suspension work. I had a hit and run happen while it was parked in a neighborhood and they dented my driver's door...up high enough to miss the running board and door sill. Only the door itself is dented, which is why I'm not too concerned...I'll open up the panel and see how much I can push out from the inside myself. The way my truck rides right now makes it more of a priority to get the suspension better than to worry about a dent in the door.

So, I'm still thinking of possibly ordering the Wheeler's five pack...and getting the Bilsteins locally. Will definitely get in touch with that local guy that might be able to do the work...we'll just have to figure out a place to do it because I can't have work done where I live (condominium community with too many rules).

13. Jan 20, 2013 at 3:46 PM
    FramerKat

Member:
    First Name:
    kAt
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida
    Vehicle:
    Okay, now I'm looking for a source locally for the Bilstein 5100 shocks...not having much luck with my Google searches. Has anyone purchased these or any other Bilsteins locally? Just sent a message to Wheeler's to see how much shipping for just the springs is...might end up still ordering everything from them if their prices are good enough though. The $160 shipping quote just sounded a bit high to me.

14. Jan 21, 2013 at 7:28 PM
    AWorthyOpponent

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Vehicle:
    TRD Catback Exhaust
    Try 4WP. Free shipping with in store pickup....

15. Jan 21, 2013 at 7:48 PM
    FramerKat

Member:
    First Name:
    kAt
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida
    Vehicle:
    That's the third website I've been to that has the exact same database...I put in all of the information for my truck and all I get for results is the 4600, not 4100 model of Bilsteins.

16. Jan 21, 2013 at 7:50 PM
    AWorthyOpponent

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Vehicle:
    TRD Catback Exhaust
    That means they sell parts for 4WP and make a profit for being the middle man. Call an actual store (not the 1-800 number) and speak to them. They sell or can get anything.

17. Jan 21, 2013 at 7:50 PM
    FramerKat

Member:
    First Name:
    kAt
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida
    Vehicle:
    I did, however, find a site that will ship the pair of Bilstein 5100s for $20...and the base price is the same as Wheeler's. So, if removing the shocks from that order takes off more than $20 of the shipping, I'm going to order separately.

18. Jan 21, 2013 at 7:53 PM
    AWorthyOpponent

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Vehicle:
    TRD Catback Exhaust
    You going for front only? Or front and rear shocks?

19. Jan 21, 2013 at 7:58 PM
    FramerKat

Member:
    First Name:
    kAt
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida
    Vehicle:
    It's all rear stuff...for now. All I can afford to do right now anyway. I'm under the assumption that if my original springs are sagging (they are actually "frowning" at this point!), then the shocks are probably gone too. And I figured I might as well save a bit of labor and do it all at once.

Here is the drivers side shock that I found: http://www.suspensionconnection.com/cgi-bin/suscon/f4-be5-d559-t0-tacoma-driver.html

They have a coupon code for 15% off which puts them at the same price as Wheeler's...and I got their shipping quote on both which was right at $20.

Products Discussed in

To Top