Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Regional Discussion > Regions > Florida

Notices

Any recommendations for a shop in South Florida to install leaf springs/shocks

Old 01-09-2013, 02:50 PM   #1
FramerKat will become famous soon enough

Name: kAt
FramerKat's Tacoma Gallery
Any recommendations for a shop in South Florida to install leaf springs/shocks

I am thinking about ordering a set of springs/shocks from Wheelers. I don't have my own shop, so I would need someone local to install them for me. Does anyone have recommendations of a good suspension place that will install them on my first gen Tacoma?

Any information appreciated!
Old 01-09-2013, 03:00 PM   #2
luv gettin in the Taco
Tacomaniacal is on a distinguished road
Name: Matt
Tacomaniacal's Tacoma Gallery
It's a real quick & easy job. Just call a couple of truck shops and get a quote over the phone. Probly get it done cheap as hell to. I didn't have a spring compressor and didnt want to mess with it either and got a guy at a shop to do it for $50 cash on his lunch break
Old 01-09-2013, 03:06 PM   #3
4banger09 has a brilliant future4banger09 has a brilliant future4banger09 has a brilliant future4banger09 has a brilliant future4banger09 has a brilliant future4banger09 has a brilliant future4banger09 has a brilliant future4banger09 has a brilliant future4banger09 has a brilliant future4banger09 has a brilliant future4banger09 has a brilliant future

Name: Alex
4banger09's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacomaniacal View Post
It's a real quick & easy job. Just call a couple of truck shops and get a quote over the phone. Probly get it done cheap as hell to. I didn't have a spring compressor and didnt want to mess with it either and got a guy at a shop to do it for $50 cash on his lunch break
Another guy on here got quotes from some shops for 400 bucks for the labour alone. Which is ridiculous, so it may be worth it to try it on your own and rent the proper parts.
Old 01-10-2013, 08:00 AM   #4
luv gettin in the Taco
Tacomaniacal is on a distinguished road
Name: Matt
Tacomaniacal's Tacoma Gallery
$400 wtf! Remove the wheel and its Iike 3 bolts. Compressing the spring is the only PIA. you can rent a spring compressor from an auto parts store for $20-40 for the day. Super easy
Old 01-10-2013, 08:44 AM   #5
Turdarado extractor
Nd4Spd86 will become famous soon enoughNd4Spd86 will become famous soon enough

Name: Chris
Nd4Spd86's Tacoma Gallery
I think the OP is talking about a set of leafs, so it wouldn't even require a spring compressor. Just jack the back of the truck up unbolt the shocks and u bolts, unbolt the springs and then do the steps in reverse. piece of cake.
Old 01-12-2013, 03:17 PM   #6

Yeah, I'm sure I could do it on my own if I had a place to do it. I live in a condo where we can't work on our vehicles and I don't have a place to do it. So I need to find a shop...and hopefully one that won't be that expensive.

I got the quote from Wheeler's Offroad for the five leaf pack and the Bilstein 5100s...so the total is over $760 with shipping. A bit rich for my taste considering I'm going to have to pay labor to install them. Going to search locally for something similar...I'm sure I can get the Bilsteins around here just fine, it'll just be finding the leafpacks that'll be the tougher part.
Old 01-13-2013, 03:09 PM   #7
Member Caught Off Road
AWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dan
AWorthyOpponent's Tacoma Gallery
I got a friend that works for the sheriffs office doing custom work for their wetlands units. He also does custom work under his company hes starting "Winstead Fabrications". LMK if you want his number...he wants to get his name out there and will do great work for cheap...
Old 01-14-2013, 08:01 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWorthyOpponent View Post
I got a friend that works for the sheriffs office doing custom work for their wetlands units. He also does custom work under his company hes starting "Winstead Fabrications". LMK if you want his number...he wants to get his name out there and will do great work for cheap...
That would be awesome AWorthyOpponent...could you PM me his information?

Thanks!
Old 01-15-2013, 10:14 PM   #9
jslum is on a distinguished road
Name: jason
jslum's Tacoma Gallery
I would be interested too. I want to do 5100s and AAL on my 2013
Old 01-16-2013, 12:58 PM   #10
Member Caught Off Road
AWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by FramerKat View Post
That would be awesome AWorthyOpponent...could you PM me his information?

Thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jslum View Post
I would be interested too. I want to do 5100s and AAL on my 2013
I'm talking to him now. He is trying to figure out a flat rate, but guesses It'll be around $100-150 if you have the parts. Once he does one so he can see exactly whats involved, he'd prob even come to you.

Call and leave a message letting him know your truck's information (Yr, make, model, 4x4,etc...)

James - Winstead Fabrications
(561) 328-3148
Old 01-16-2013, 09:28 PM   #11
jslum is on a distinguished road
Name: jason
jslum's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWorthyOpponent View Post
I'm talking to him now. He is trying to figure out a flat rate, but guesses It'll be around $100-150 if you have the parts. Once he does one so he can see exactly whats involved, he'd prob even come to you.

Call and leave a message letting him know your truck's information (Yr, make, model, 4x4,etc...)

James - Winstead Fabrications
(561) 328-3148
awesome. Thanks!
Old 01-20-2013, 03:21 PM   #12

Okay, through an odd chain of events, I have received a check from my insurance company that would cover the cost of parts for my rear suspension work. I had a hit and run happen while it was parked in a neighborhood and they dented my driver's door...up high enough to miss the running board and door sill. Only the door itself is dented, which is why I'm not too concerned...I'll open up the panel and see how much I can push out from the inside myself. The way my truck rides right now makes it more of a priority to get the suspension better than to worry about a dent in the door.

So, I'm still thinking of possibly ordering the Wheeler's five pack...and getting the Bilsteins locally. Will definitely get in touch with that local guy that might be able to do the work...we'll just have to figure out a place to do it because I can't have work done where I live (condominium community with too many rules).
Old 01-20-2013, 03:46 PM   #13

Okay, now I'm looking for a source locally for the Bilstein 5100 shocks...not having much luck with my Google searches. Has anyone purchased these or any other Bilsteins locally? Just sent a message to Wheeler's to see how much shipping for just the springs is...might end up still ordering everything from them if their prices are good enough though. The $160 shipping quote just sounded a bit high to me.
Old 01-21-2013, 07:28 PM   #14
Member Caught Off Road

Quote:
Okay, now I'm looking for a source locally for the Bilstein 5100 shocks...not having much luck with my Google searches. Has anyone purchased these or any other Bilsteins locally? Just sent a message to Wheeler's to see how much shipping for just the springs is...might end up still ordering everything from them if their prices are good enough though. The $160 shipping quote just sounded a bit high to me.
Try 4WP. Free shipping with in store pickup....
Old 01-21-2013, 07:48 PM   #15

That's the third website I've been to that has the exact same database...I put in all of the information for my truck and all I get for results is the 4600, not 4100 model of Bilsteins.
Old 01-21-2013, 07:50 PM   #16
Member Caught Off Road

Quote:
That's the third website I've been to that has the exact same database...I put in all of the information for my truck and all I get for results is the 4600, not 4100 model of Bilsteins.
That means they sell parts for 4WP and make a profit for being the middle man. Call an actual store (not the 1-800 number) and speak to them. They sell or can get anything.
Old 01-21-2013, 07:50 PM   #17

I did, however, find a site that will ship the pair of Bilstein 5100s for $20...and the base price is the same as Wheeler's. So, if removing the shocks from that order takes off more than $20 of the shipping, I'm going to order separately.
Old 01-21-2013, 07:53 PM   #18
Member Caught Off Road

Quote:
I did, however, find a site that will ship the pair of Bilstein 4100s for $20...and the base price is the same as Wheeler's. So, if removing the shocks from that order takes off more than $20 of the shipping, I'm going to order separately.
You going for front only? Or front and rear shocks?
Old 01-21-2013, 07:58 PM   #19

It's all rear stuff...for now. All I can afford to do right now anyway. I'm under the assumption that if my original springs are sagging (they are actually "frowning" at this point!), then the shocks are probably gone too. And I figured I might as well save a bit of labor and do it all at once.

Here is the drivers side shock that I found: http://www.suspensionconnection.com/...ma-driver.html

They have a coupon code for 15% off which puts them at the same price as Wheeler's...and I got their shipping quote on both which was right at $20.