Florida Tacomas

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Regional Discussion > Regions > Florida

Notices

The beginning, 4Runner SAS

Old 05-18-2013, 05:25 PM   #41
Up is difficult. Down is dangerous.
GuyHuey is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyHuey is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyHuey is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyHuey is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyHuey is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyHuey is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyHuey is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyHuey is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyHuey is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyHuey is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyHuey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Guy
GuyHuey's Tacoma Gallery
This is where I stopped, unfortunately I buggered up an inner axle seal trying to drive it into place. Might be a blessing in disguise though, the Marlin seals are way better and on order.

GH

Old 05-25-2013, 01:36 PM   #42
GuyHuey is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyHuey is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyHuey is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyHuey is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyHuey is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyHuey is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyHuey is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyHuey is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyHuey is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyHuey is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyHuey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

GuyHuey's Tacoma Gallery
It's a lot of work to get to this point, I need a nap.

Old 05-25-2013, 07:00 PM   #43

GuyHuey's Tacoma Gallery
I can't get one of the hub seals to seat, think I may need a wheel hub. If anyone has one for a 81-85 Toyota solid axle please let me know.

If I can't find a used one TG makes a new one out of 4130 steel, of course I can't have just one nice new one.

GH
Old 06-01-2013, 10:59 AM   #44

GuyHuey's Tacoma Gallery
Got a little more done today. Front spring hanger is tacked in, frame is tubed for the shackles. I have some more grinding to do on the frame rails too.

Got my IFS locking hub to SA hub gears from Longfield today. I'm going to use the locking hubs from the IFS because they are just in a lot better shape than the SA locks.

GH
Old 06-02-2013, 01:49 PM   #46

GuyHuey's Tacoma Gallery
Finally done grinding, wow it takes a lot of work to get a frame clean. I got one leaf hung too, then the Florida heat won.

Corona with lime is the plan now, until the Boston Butt is done.

Old 06-08-2013, 05:07 PM   #47

GuyHuey's Tacoma Gallery
Got the axle back under the Runner. I'm going to let the springs settle for a couple days and then decide if I should move the hanger back. Right now the shackle angle is near vertical, with a new pack it should kick back 15 to 20 degree's.

Old 06-08-2013, 05:12 PM   #48
I pull Tacomas' around for a living.
Jon4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJon4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJon4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJon4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJon4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJon4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJon4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJon4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJon4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJon4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJon4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jonathan (Jon)
Jon4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Jon4x4
You done yet
Old 06-08-2013, 05:37 PM   #49

GuyHuey's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon4x4 View Post
You done yet

Getting there, setbacks because of old ass parts that were too out of speck to re-use. Last piece I should need is a wheel hub. Luke at Frontier 4x4 has one on the way to me. I have to drop the locking hub ring and knob off to be powder coated.

33's are going to look silly though, may be jumping up to 37's sooner than later...

GH
Old 06-08-2013, 05:56 PM   #50
Jon4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJon4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJon4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJon4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJon4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJon4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJon4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJon4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJon4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJon4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJon4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Jon4x4's Tacoma Gallery
How much lift you aiming for?
Old 06-08-2013, 06:08 PM   #51

GuyHuey's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
How much lift you aiming for?

I used the 3 inch Trail gear springs. I really want as little lift as possible and still be able to run a 35 to 37 inch tire. We'll see how this springs wind up, if they're too tall i'll put together a rear up front pack.

GH
Old 06-08-2013, 06:20 PM   #52

Jon4x4's Tacoma Gallery
how long are the springs... 47"?
Old 06-08-2013, 07:17 PM   #53

GuyHuey's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Not sure, I'll have to check.
Old 06-08-2013, 07:31 PM   #55

Jon4x4's Tacoma Gallery
if they are 47's you can get a set of stock springs from any chevy with a solid front axle and some are reverse arched...
Old 06-08-2013, 07:45 PM   #56
higherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Blake
higherlux's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to higherlux
Old 06-08-2013, 07:50 PM   #57
Solid Axle FTMFW!!
Supra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
Supra TT's Tacoma Gallery
The shackle angle should be greater than 15-20 degree's at ride height. More along the lines of 40 degree's. Otherwise it'll sit higher and during droop they might fold forward.

Looks good otherwise!
Old 06-09-2013, 07:53 AM   #58

GuyHuey's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supra TT View Post
The shackle angle should be greater than 15-20 degree's at ride height. More along the lines of 40 degree's. Otherwise it'll sit higher and during droop they might fold forward.

Looks good otherwise!
I'm going to play around with the front spring hanger, push it back a little to see if i can get a better shackle angle. Hopefully that will get it in line, if not the only other thing I can think of is to cut the tubes out of the frame and move them forward.

GH
Old 06-09-2013, 08:06 AM   #59

GuyHuey's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
They're 47 inch springs.
Old 06-09-2013, 09:22 AM   #60

GuyHuey's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supra TT View Post

Looks good otherwise!
You've been down this road, I've read your SAS thread on this forum and the other on Pirate. I'm really leaning toward cutting the tubes out of the frame, plating it and moving the tubes forward an inch to an inch and a half. You can see in the pic I centered the tube in the body mount as recommended by TG. I just don't think pushing the spring hanger back a half inch is going to get the angle I need.

Seems like the best way to make it work, what do you think?

GH