Florida Tacomas

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Regional Discussion > Regions > Florida

Notices

The beginning, 4Runner SAS

Old 10-26-2013, 02:10 PM   #121
Up is difficult. Down is dangerous.
GuyHuey is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyHuey is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyHuey is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyHuey is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyHuey is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyHuey is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyHuey is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyHuey is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyHuey is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyHuey is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyHuey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Guy
GuyHuey's Tacoma Gallery
Got the rear shocks mounted today and I dropped the front shaft off to be welded up.

Old 11-02-2013, 06:46 PM   #122
GuyHuey is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyHuey is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyHuey is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyHuey is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyHuey is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyHuey is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyHuey is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyHuey is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyHuey is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyHuey is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyHuey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

GuyHuey's Tacoma Gallery
I'm so pissed! I brought my long spline kit to a local Toyota "guru" to have it put together. I brought the factory CV front shaft to be cut down and welded to the Trail Gear kit. Well the guy at the shop said "we never use those CV's, we just use U joints, they're stronger". So I had him weld it up. Well the damn flange is wrong, he knew I had an automatic too. The CV style flange is unique and the spline count is different so I can't even swap flanges on the transfer case.

Argh, now I have to cut the damn thing apart and redo the job.
Old 11-02-2013, 08:44 PM   #123
Solid Axle FTMFW!!
Supra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
Supra TT's Tacoma Gallery
U-joint's stronger than a CV? hah. Should of known right there he had no idea what he was talking about!

Sorry about the bad luck there, I've had my fair share of shops screw me over too.
Old 11-06-2013, 08:37 PM   #124

GuyHuey's Tacoma Gallery
Well, thankfully I don't have to cut my new driveshaft apart. Used a rear transfer-case output flange on the front. Now I can bolt up the front shaft, the one benefit is I can run the female end pointing toward the axle. Less chance of shit accumulating in the front drive-shaft.
Old 11-08-2013, 04:15 PM   #125

GuyHuey's Tacoma Gallery
Finally done, well at least with this stage! The axle swap was a fun learning experience. I know I can trust my ability to have an idea, formulate a plan, execute and adapt.

I do have a couple of things I would have done different in retrospect, but that's all part of this hobby. Thank goodness I learned a long time ago with a super-charged, then turbo Integra to not build my daily driver.

Next stage is to have some fun in the woods, that is why we have these trucks right. After that I need to address some body and paint concerns. Then most likely lock the front and convert it to a 5 speed. Who knows from there, maybe a motor swap? Turbo, LS1, Diesel, 3.4, 3rz, all have crossed my mind.

This is meant to be a constant evolution without an end.

Old 11-08-2013, 05:36 PM   #126
Solid Axle FTMFW!!
Supra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Looking forward to the next mods. Locking the front will ultimately be the best thing you can do for now. Don't convert it to a manual, they are harder to wheel with.

Have you been wheeling with it yet?
Old 11-08-2013, 05:49 PM   #127

GuyHuey's Tacoma Gallery
I've driven it around town, but haven't wheeled it with the SAS yet. I have a couple small local spots to do a shake down (Florida) isn't exactly great for wheelin.

If I do a 5 speed swap I'll do dual cases with a 4.7 in the rear case. Just not many great t-case options with the automatic I have. It would be nice to pick up a little fuel economy too. 12 mpg is ruff on longer trips.

GH
Old 11-08-2013, 05:58 PM   #128

GuyHuey's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supra TT View Post
Looking forward to the next mods. Locking the front will ultimately be the best thing you can do for now. Don't convert it to a manual, they are harder to wheel with.

Have you been wheeling with it yet?
How's yours coming along? Any new changes planned?
Old 11-09-2013, 03:52 PM   #129

GuyHuey's Tacoma Gallery
Ha, day after calling this stage done check engine lights galore!

25/26 usually just an O2 sensor. I like NGK for O2's most places wanted a hundred bucks, found one on eBay for 64 shipped.

It was on my maintenance list anyway.

GH
Old 11-09-2013, 04:47 PM   #130
Solid Axle FTMFW!!

It's coming along slowly. Many things planned in '14 hopefully... NwiTACO is the go to person for mods nowadays and the past year we have been working on his truck. He plans to return the favor on helping me get my POS up to a higher standard haha
Old 11-15-2013, 08:01 PM   #131
Four Wheel Drive With Room For Five!
Order66 has much to be proud ofOrder66 has much to be proud ofOrder66 has much to be proud ofOrder66 has much to be proud ofOrder66 has much to be proud ofOrder66 has much to be proud ofOrder66 has much to be proud ofOrder66 has much to be proud ofOrder66 has much to be proud of

Name: Nick
Order66's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyHuey View Post
I found a 4X4 Toyota shop less than 2 miles from my house, never heard of it before DWAT Racing. All old school Toyota's mostly they run in the mud, but the owner Drew has a ton of parts in stock. I counted at least 10 transmissions and 15 transfer cases. Looks like I found a local source when I get around to a 5 speed swap.

I got my alignment done today. I was very happy that the camber and caster were in spec, no bent housing on my rig. Rear thrust angle was really good too, measure 10 times weld once worked out.

Only rear shocks and a front drive shaft to go. Unfortunately DWAT only had a couple stock front's and I decided to not build a square shaft. Oh well, PST in Clearwater should be able to build me one with the right amount of slip.

GH
If you are still doing business with this guy do you think you could ask about a master window switch for the driver side of an 88? Mine died a few months ago and nobody in Georgia has one. Toyota dealer said they can get one for $210, but I'm really not ready to sink that in a window switch just yet (college).

Also, did you know that the first gen 4Runners came with two different types of window switches? Mine is the one that is long and skinny. Anyways, I appreciate it if you can help. Windows havn't been rolled down in almost 6 months.

You're build looks real sick, though! I'm loving the way that front end looks !
The shocks that you got are the ones I'm planning on getting in the future for my 4Runner. Keep up the awesome work, dude!
Old 11-16-2013, 05:34 AM   #132

GuyHuey's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Order66 View Post
If you are still doing business with this guy do you think you could ask about a master window switch for the driver side of an 88? Mine died a few months ago and nobody in Georgia has one. Toyota dealer said they can get one for $210, but I'm really not ready to sink that in a window switch just yet (college).

Also, did you know that the first gen 4Runners came with two different types of window switches? Mine is the one that is long and skinny. Anyways, I appreciate it if you can help. Windows havn't been rolled down in almost 6 months.

You're build looks real sick, though! I'm loving the way that front end looks !
The shocks that you got are the ones I'm planning on getting in the future for my 4Runner. Keep up the awesome work, dude!
Not sure if ill use him for anything else. As far as power windows I have no idea, mine has manual windows.

EBay seems to have some though.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1984-1988-To...5ea98a&vxp=mtr
Old 11-16-2013, 11:01 AM   #133
Four Wheel Drive With Room For Five!
Order66 has much to be proud ofOrder66 has much to be proud ofOrder66 has much to be proud ofOrder66 has much to be proud ofOrder66 has much to be proud ofOrder66 has much to be proud ofOrder66 has much to be proud ofOrder66 has much to be proud ofOrder66 has much to be proud of

Name: Nick
Order66's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyHuey View Post
Not sure if ill use him for anything else. As far as power windows I have no idea, mine has manual windows.

EBay seems to have some though.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1984-1988-To...5ea98a&vxp=mtr
Okay, sounds good. The ones on eBay are the the other type that don't fit my truck. Thanks for looking, though!
Old 12-21-2013, 12:49 PM   #134

GuyHuey's Tacoma Gallery
Weak, but the best I could do in the small area I had to work with.

Old 12-29-2013, 05:38 AM   #135
tmclaimerFL is on a distinguished road

Name: Joe
tmclaimerFL's Tacoma Gallery
Nice job man. Makes me miss my 93' more when I see that.
Old 01-08-2014, 12:26 PM   #136
michaelrussell is one of the sharper tools in the shedmichaelrussell is one of the sharper tools in the shedmichaelrussell is one of the sharper tools in the shedmichaelrussell is one of the sharper tools in the shedmichaelrussell is one of the sharper tools in the shedmichaelrussell is one of the sharper tools in the shedmichaelrussell is one of the sharper tools in the shedmichaelrussell is one of the sharper tools in the shedmichaelrussell is one of the sharper tools in the shedmichaelrussell is one of the sharper tools in the shedmichaelrussell is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Michael
michaelrussell's Tacoma Gallery
Sub'd
Old 01-11-2014, 01:54 PM   #137

GuyHuey's Tacoma Gallery
The results of all the hard work!

and I know these have been posted in other threads, but you can't deny they're cool shots

Old 03-13-2014, 06:40 PM   #138

GuyHuey's Tacoma Gallery
Picked up a Spartan locker for the front. Someday I'll do a high pinion ARB, but for now the lunch box locker should be fine. I was going to plug it in this weekend, but it's going to be so nice out we're going to take the kids to Lake Park and run the RC's.

I have an electric vs nitro challenge planned with one of my coworkers. Mugen eco vs Mugen mb6, should be fun. I do need to swap a speed controller out on the boys Slash, it took a beating in the front yard the other day and it's starting to act up.

If anyone in the Tampa area runs RC's we'll be at Lake Park around 1 on Saturday.

GH
Old 03-22-2014, 05:24 PM   #139

GuyHuey's Tacoma Gallery
Got the Spartan installed in the front 3rd today. Pretty straight forward, the most time consuming part is pulling the 3rd. Once the 3rd is out it's just a matter of pulling the carrier from the 3rd and removing the ring gear. Pop the cross pin and spider gears then swap the Spartan parts in.

All in it took about 5 hours, including going to the parts store for gear oil and RTV, thought it had both but I was out.

Can't wait to get out in the woods again to see how well it works. I'll have to check my calendar and see when I can fit in another Hard Rock run.

GH
Old 03-26-2014, 08:57 AM   #140
It is a Fluid Situation
goomba has much to be proud ofgoomba has much to be proud ofgoomba has much to be proud ofgoomba has much to be proud ofgoomba has much to be proud ofgoomba has much to be proud ofgoomba has much to be proud ofgoomba has much to be proud of
Name: Josh
goomba's Tacoma Gallery
Truck looks amazing man. When are we getting back out on the trail with the tw group?