1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

South Florida B.S. Thread

Discussion in 'Florida' started by AWorthyOpponent, Mar 22, 2013.

1. Nov 6, 2014 at 7:18 AM
    tacomacrazy

tacomacrazy ExPo Truck

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryant
    Coral Gables, FL
    Vehicle:
    07 DC 4x4 TRD Offroad
    HIDs 10k & 3k, AFE Intake, LEDs Red Map & dome, Pioneer 4300 Walker Evan 2.5 coilover 2.0 rear with all pro expo leaf pack. SnugTop Campershell Famous Fab rear bumper/ tire carrier. Dual Battery System Upgrade 250a Alternator
    Went out to the humps in homestead for $h*ts and giggles. Still pretty flooded trying to get in but was able to get a nice mud car wash. Thank tac1 for the info. f8d133a83ae2bb1c4b9d832f43cd73bb_f8e2ff78e930a5d36e1e8ecf2b076a164ff8d957.jpgdcec5124c1343704bc6fe1da37c823e8_2b65dc7b9c66c6cc630f0e5eba014c93988437a9.jpg1210809d2fc63405c8c5a74e180c2721_63c025bb906fba9635c1bffb3fdfde0f2869ed80.jpg7eb4b907d829272d669ea138320a0076_2e11f5ccd75274c66d26152c108caa91df794268.jpg
    Kia I'm loving the fact that gas is 2.95!!!!! I've finally had to use my reserve lol

2. Nov 6, 2014 at 8:42 AM
    devil1

devil1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Miami
    Vehicle:
    '13 SR5 4x4
    Pro comp alloys, trail digger m/ts, icon 2.5 remote resies all the way, OME Dakar leaf packs, OBA. Lots of LEDs
    I have a better spot out there that's more open and has mud, it's right near the spot you were at. We might be heading out there this weekend, so if anyone else wants to go let me know

3. Nov 6, 2014 at 11:50 AM
    tacomacrazy

tacomacrazy ExPo Truck

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryant
    Coral Gables, FL
    Vehicle:
    07 DC 4x4 TRD Offroad
    HIDs 10k & 3k, AFE Intake, LEDs Red Map & dome, Pioneer 4300 Walker Evan 2.5 coilover 2.0 rear with all pro expo leaf pack. SnugTop Campershell Famous Fab rear bumper/ tire carrier. Dual Battery System Upgrade 250a Alternator
    I work weekends. Unless it's a day thing I maybe down pit I'm washing the truck already! Lol

4. Nov 7, 2014 at 4:37 AM
    TAC1

TAC1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tac1
    Miami, FL
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB O/R 4WD
    You are welcome tacomacrazy. I'm glad you had fun & damage free.

Yes, devil1 is definiitely the go-to person for this. I never realized how big this place is until the 1st meet when we followed devil1 in there. He knows that place like the back of his hand and he goes frequently.

5. Nov 7, 2014 at 7:29 AM
    devil1

devil1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Miami
    Vehicle:
    '13 SR5 4x4
    Pro comp alloys, trail digger m/ts, icon 2.5 remote resies all the way, OME Dakar leaf packs, OBA. Lots of LEDs
    When it's only a 15 minute dive away, how can I resist not going all the time? lol

I have been waiting a month for my Icon coil overs, they are telling me that it's taking long because of SEMA. Anyone else wait this long?

6. Nov 7, 2014 at 8:06 AM
    TAC1

TAC1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tac1
    Miami, FL
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB O/R 4WD
    Yeah. 15 minutes away is too cinvenient to resist!

Can't blame you at all. Hahaha

7. Nov 7, 2014 at 7:49 PM
    AWorthyOpponent

AWorthyOpponent [OP] Member Caught Off Road

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Palm Beach County, Florida
    Vehicle:
    2013 MGM DCLB TRD SPORT 4x4
    TRD Catback Exhaust
    I wish I lived 15 min away from the humps...might actually have time to go then. Lol.

8. Nov 15, 2014 at 2:09 PM
    TAC1

TAC1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tac1
    Miami, FL
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB O/R 4WD
    I just returned from the Smoky Mountains. I drove from Asheville to Gatlinburg & Banner Elk along with Beech Mountain & didn't even hear one car horn & I wasn't cut off by anyone.

There is a huge lack of respect & considetation for others down here.
    BTW, check out the Snowbound thread or my Facebook Petros N Mercy Haldoupis if you want to see some pics/vids.

Thanks man! It was a great trip! Just needed my wife & boys there but God willing our next visit will be us 4 & in December, January or February (of which ever year we go) so we can see some real snow.

These are the total miles that I drove from midnight, Sunday morning to 6:45am, Friday.
    [​IMG]

931 of those were on the first day alone. :eek:

I even had time to drive the Tail of the Dragon which is 3 hours from where I was staying. I ordered my pics from killboy.com & US129photos.com.

I left the Inn in North Carolina at 1:00pm. It's a 13 hour drive from there to my house. I then checked on my phone & saw that snow was forecasted for Banner Elk (2 hours from where I was at the time) & I drove to Banner Elk & Beech Mountain. The weather report was accurate. Not a big snowfall by any means but still snow dammit :D, From there I drove home.

17:45 minutes on the road. And I was able to take my son to school & my wifes truck in for service so it worked out perfectly. Thank God!

Last edited: Nov 17, 2014
  9. Nov 18, 2014 at 7:37 PM
    TAC1

TAC1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tac1
    Miami, FL
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB O/R 4WD
    Hello again,

My main stops on my trip were:

Goose Creek, SC (SOS SOS Offroad Concepts) Eddy Tengan
    Grandfather Mountain, NC
    Banner Elk, NC
    Beech Mountain, NC
    Laurel Falls, TN
    Gatlinburg, TN

And a very remote place for about an hour because my GPS went hay-wire. Telling me to make left turns where there were no roads. Probably trying to kill me. HAHA!

I walked so many trails. If I can do this for 6 months I may lose some weight!

Down side. No wifey & boys with me.

On Thursday I left Alberts Inn (Burnsville, NC) at 1:00pm,
    drove to Banner Elk & Beech Mountain again,
    then made it home by 6:45am Friday.
    Just in time to take my youngest son to school & my wifes SUV to the dealership. :eek: No sleep!

Leaving my house on Saturday night 11:45pm
    [​IMG]

SOS Concept (Eddy Tengans shop) in Goose Creek, SC
    [​IMG]

My Sliders. He made these at "0" degrees (flat) so they act as a step also. My wife is 5'0" so it's STILL too high for her. HAHA
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Eddy's Trail-Ready truck!
    [​IMG]

On Grandfather Mountain
    [​IMG]

Somewhere between I-40 & Laurel Falls, TN. I finally put my machete to good use. HAHAHA
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Weather in the mountains can really be fickle
    [​IMG]

Tail of the Dragon. I drove this road. It was fun. I guess these trucks have a body roll-over sensor because it kept going off on hard turns. Check out the vid.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Tail of the Dragon is popular among bikers & sports car enthusiasts but any vehicle can drive it. That's me on the left, just posing. HAHA
    [​IMG]

Where I stayed, Alberts Inn. No food or phone available but they have WIFI so you can Face Time & my wife prepared food for me. I was always the only one parked there. It was empty.
    [​IMG]

These people advertise Fall-off-the-bone ribs & damn it, they are! I ate lunch here twice. I wish they were in Miami also. They are a 40 minute drive from where I was staying.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

One of my 2 trips to Mt. Mitchell's summit
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

No snow chains necessary HAHAHA
    [​IMG]

Banner Elk, NC
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Beech Mountain, NC
    [​IMG]

Finally made it home. I usually do not like to return to Miami but I missed my family so I was looking forward to returning.
    [​IMG]

These pics were taken by killboy.com & US129photos.com on the Tail of the Dragon. They take pics of every vehicle that drives this road. They then post them on line for you to purchase if you like.
    US129 PICS
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

killboy.com pics
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Nov 18, 2014 at 7:39 PM
    TAC1

TAC1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tac1
    Miami, FL
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB O/R 4WD
  11. Nov 22, 2014 at 3:11 AM
    PMK

PMK Well-Known Member

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    10 DCLB TRD Sport
    White, debadged, Mudflaps removed, ICON 2.5 in front, 2.0 in rear, all 4 corners have reservoirs, Spidertrax wheel spacers all around, BAMF bolt on sliders, Avid lightbar, oem transmission cooler converted to power steering cooler, aftermarket transmission cooler eliminating all oem transmission cooler stuff, remote mounted spin on transmission fluid filter TrueTrac rear differential, rear diff housing vented and filtered into left side bed box, URD MAF calibrator, Volant intake scoop into oem airbox, second filter removed, airbox internals smoothed, blended and polished throttle body, NST intake manifold spacer, Wet Okolee set covers, WeatherTech Digital Fit mats, inexpensive JVC single DIN, Scangage, AVS Stepshield door sill protectors, Doug Thorley Long Tube Headers, URD Y pipe with O2 sims.
    TAC1, very cool and no doubt cold.

There are certainly some twisty roads up that way.

Years ago, when my daughter was younger, we spent several Thanksgivings at Fontana Village.

We have also cycled there many times and like you, no fun to return home except on account of family.

I doubt the Tacoma would handle the twisty paved roads as well as my previous Nissan. It was a 1990 Nissan King Cab I bought new, it was lowered and had sport suspension on it. Previous to that I had a 1984 Dodge D50 Turbo Diesel. It too was lowered and had serious sport suspension on it. Both of those trucks carved the corners as well as a mini truck could. Even getting the brakes quite warm and a little squishy.

Was that your first time in snow?

Sliders look good, why no rear kickout? My BAMF's make great steps both getting in and for cleaning. Also, when parking they have been saving door dings. I have noticed a few times, the cars beside me have a pipe shaped dent in the edge of their door. The sliders shrug it off unscathed.

Sliders also give some confidence on local off road stuff that you are less apt to crush a door. We'll never really use them on rocks like others, but they are pretty cool and way better than "steps".

PK

Last edited: Nov 23, 2014
  12. Nov 22, 2014 at 2:16 PM
    TAC1

TAC1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tac1
    Miami, FL
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB O/R 4WD
    P

Last edited: Nov 22, 2014
  13. Nov 22, 2014 at 2:58 PM
    TAC1

TAC1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tac1
    Miami, FL
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB O/R 4WD
    P

Last edited: Nov 22, 2014
  14. Nov 23, 2014 at 6:29 AM
    AWorthyOpponent

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Vehicle:
    TRD Catback Exhaust
    Looks like you had some serious fun on your little vacation there buddy. I am actually thinking about making a trip to Virginia around the end of January beginning of February depending on how work is going. Your pictures and videos just make me want to go more… LOL.

15. Nov 24, 2014 at 8:23 AM
    TAC1

TAC1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tac1
    Miami, FL
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB O/R 4WD
    Hello PK,

I want to visit Fontana Dam on my next visit. I will look into Fontana Village. My wife/kids like NC more than TN anyways. To me, they all look good.

I'm sure your vehicles with their lowered, sports suspension would have been sweet out there. That's really the kind of road where you want to be close to the ground. The only advantage that I have over a stock Tacoma is the trac width due to my Spindles & SpiderTrax adapters (rear wheels). Your truck has similar width to mine but a better suspension so it may do even better. My brakes felt great the whole time BUT my power steering sometimes felt as if my belt were slipping on the pulley but there was no belt noise. It was very minor but it happened under heavy steering. Never an issue that affected my safety (I think) but very odd. I wonder if the fluid got hot? When I was taking the pics with the bikers, we saw 2 Ferraris and a Porsche 911 heading up there. THAT must've been fun.

SNOW:
    I was born in Jersey but came to Miami when I was 5 so I remember a couple of snow storms. Then in April 2010 my wife, boys & I were staying at Pigeon Forge, TN and we saw snow on Newfound Gap Rd. It was on the side of the road right on the TN/NC state line. We pulled over and started having snow fights! Soon after, 3 more cars pulled over to do the same. All had Florida plates. It couldn't be more obvious that we were tourists. HAHAHA!

On this trip I saw some light snow/flurries falling but nothing significant to say that I drove in the snow. In the pic where I was putting gas, an older gentleman told me to be careful on Beech Mountain Parkway because he slid coming down the road and later gained control. The 1st thing I did was look at his tires. They looked new. Being that I was alone, I drove to Beech Mountain Parkway after putting gas to see how bad it was. I did not have that problem but in my rearview mirror I saw a pair of headlights that suddenly disappeared. It was an F-150 trying to come up the road behind me and he ended up doing a 1/4 turn to the left in a small spin-out. He was 2WD also. I stopped to see if he was OK. He was. He ended up turning back down the mountain. I drove the whole road BUT if it was a significant amount of snow I would have had to pull out my tire chains. I can definitely say that 2WD will get you by with good tires and chains but 4WD is the way to go up there.

SLIDERS:
    These things are definitely more than I need. As you said, we don't rock crawl. I do like to go to Lazy Springs and they do have some steep hills. I've been there 2 times both times I banged up my OEM steps. I'm talking support brackets and all. I didn't get the kick-out because (having them flat, instead of angled) I was worried that they would stick out too much. I laughed when I read what you wrote regarding door dings.I was sitting in my truck at the Publix parking lot soon after my return. An Altima parked next to me. When the driver carelessly opened his door he then quickly grabbed the door and stared at my sliders. He pulled his car out of the parking space and re-entered it with more space between us. HAHAHA!

Last edited: Nov 24, 2014
  16. Nov 24, 2014 at 8:39 AM
    TAC1

TAC1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tac1
    Miami, FL
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB O/R 4WD
    Hahaha! NICE!
    Are you going with your wife?

17. Nov 25, 2014 at 3:55 AM
    PMK

PMK Well-Known Member

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    10 DCLB TRD Sport
    White, debadged, Mudflaps removed, ICON 2.5 in front, 2.0 in rear, all 4 corners have reservoirs, Spidertrax wheel spacers all around, BAMF bolt on sliders, Avid lightbar, oem transmission cooler converted to power steering cooler, aftermarket transmission cooler eliminating all oem transmission cooler stuff, remote mounted spin on transmission fluid filter TrueTrac rear differential, rear diff housing vented and filtered into left side bed box, URD MAF calibrator, Volant intake scoop into oem airbox, second filter removed, airbox internals smoothed, blended and polished throttle body, NST intake manifold spacer, Wet Okolee set covers, WeatherTech Digital Fit mats, inexpensive JVC single DIN, Scangage, AVS Stepshield door sill protectors, Doug Thorley Long Tube Headers, URD Y pipe with O2 sims.
    TAC1, Fontana is pretty close to the NC / Tenn border. We enjoyed it as a great getaway for Thanksgiving.

Sometimes light snow, other years warm, always fun.

I'm sure my Tacoma and current setup would navigate corners OK, things is though, good suspension or not, I removed the front sway bar and those roads would be better with the bar on.

PK

18. Nov 25, 2014 at 9:12 AM
    1stgen

1stgen Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Dade City/ Ft. Myers, FL
    Vehicle:
    18 SR5
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1416935469.412000.jpg Up here in Ft Walton and seen so many tacomas. Only had time to take pictures of one. Pretty sure it has an Allpro bumper.

19. Nov 26, 2014 at 3:51 PM
    AWorthyOpponent

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Vehicle:
    TRD Catback Exhaust
    Happy early Thanksgiving everyone.

If I can make it happen when I want it to, it will be the both of us.

20. Nov 27, 2014 at 3:02 PM
    TAC1

TAC1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tac1
    Miami, FL
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB O/R 4WD
    I didn't remember that you removed your sway bar but I do remember thinking that my ride would have been "interesting" without one.

BTW, That place looks beautiful. I didn't realize that I was pretty close to Fontana Dam. Next time though.

AWESOME! Our trucks are good 2-people road trip trucks but I think they would be uncomfortable for 4 grown people. My wife & I drove my truck to Atlanta & Stone Mountain last year & we were fine.

I do have the SR5 though. TRD may be more comfortable (looks to be at least) but are the back seats the same on both models?

HAPPY THANKSGIVING TO ALL!

Products Discussed in

To Top