Florida Tacomas

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Regional Discussion > Regions > Florida

Notices

South Florida B.S. Thread

Old 05-24-2013, 04:06 PM   #141
Finks99Taco has a brilliant futureFinks99Taco has a brilliant futureFinks99Taco has a brilliant futureFinks99Taco has a brilliant futureFinks99Taco has a brilliant futureFinks99Taco has a brilliant futureFinks99Taco has a brilliant futureFinks99Taco has a brilliant futureFinks99Taco has a brilliant futureFinks99Taco has a brilliant futureFinks99Taco has a brilliant future

Name: 'Fink'
Finks99Taco's Tacoma Gallery
I'm sure this applies to you 2ns gens but on my rear diff theres a breather. Little cap looking thing. It expands when the diff gets hot so it can 'breathe'. The downfall to that is if you buried your rear axle in water, well its going to suck in water and ruin your diff internals (if you dont drain and change fluids right away)

So what you can do is go to Toyota and order a union (like $3) and it screws into where the original breather head is. Then with a couple hose clamps, put a new hose on there and redirect it to somewhere where it won't suck up water.

Mine is in the engine bay up against the firewall (cause if that's in water, I have worse problems to deal with) Some guys will run it to next to their fuel filler neck so its in that door. I put a spectre filter on the end so it won't suck in dust or any of the sort.
Old 05-24-2013, 07:01 PM   #142
PMK is one of the sharper tools in the shedPMK is one of the sharper tools in the shedPMK is one of the sharper tools in the shedPMK is one of the sharper tools in the shedPMK is one of the sharper tools in the shedPMK is one of the sharper tools in the shedPMK is one of the sharper tools in the shedPMK is one of the sharper tools in the shedPMK is one of the sharper tools in the shedPMK is one of the sharper tools in the shedPMK is one of the sharper tools in the shed

PMK's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finks99Taco View Post
I'm sure this applies to you 2ns gens but on my rear diff theres a breather. Little cap looking thing. It expands when the diff gets hot so it can 'breathe'. The downfall to that is if you buried your rear axle in water, well its going to suck in water and ruin your diff internals (if you dont drain and change fluids right away)

So what you can do is go to Toyota and order a union (like $3) and it screws into where the original breather head is. Then with a couple hose clamps, put a new hose on there and redirect it to somewhere where it won't suck up water.

Mine is in the engine bay up against the firewall (cause if that's in water, I have worse problems to deal with) Some guys will run it to next to their fuel filler neck so its in that door. I put a spectre filter on the end so it won't suck in dust or any of the sort.

My 10 I accomplished a vented diff, similar but different. Bought the fittings to place a 90 degree setup on the diff. Ran a hose along the brake lines, installed an inexpensive Wix fuel filter and ran the hose into the left rear bed storage box.

Not as intense as the engine compartment for deep water, but still pretty high up and inside a semi sealed box.

PK
Old 05-24-2013, 07:06 PM   #143
PMK is one of the sharper tools in the shedPMK is one of the sharper tools in the shedPMK is one of the sharper tools in the shedPMK is one of the sharper tools in the shedPMK is one of the sharper tools in the shedPMK is one of the sharper tools in the shedPMK is one of the sharper tools in the shedPMK is one of the sharper tools in the shedPMK is one of the sharper tools in the shedPMK is one of the sharper tools in the shedPMK is one of the sharper tools in the shed

PMK's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWorthyOpponent View Post
Lol, the breather...just the breather...not sure if you could relocate the whole diff.

I think my problem has more to do with me being a wuss than anything.
Find my truck around town at some point and get a look at the install.

Honestly about a 15 minute job and worth the effort.

Just remember the fitting into the diff doesn't hold a wheel on. Seems a bunch of guys on TW stripped their diff housing installing the little fitting.

PK
Old 05-25-2013, 02:11 AM   #145
Finks99Taco has a brilliant futureFinks99Taco has a brilliant futureFinks99Taco has a brilliant futureFinks99Taco has a brilliant futureFinks99Taco has a brilliant futureFinks99Taco has a brilliant futureFinks99Taco has a brilliant futureFinks99Taco has a brilliant futureFinks99Taco has a brilliant futureFinks99Taco has a brilliant futureFinks99Taco has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMK View Post
My 10 I accomplished a vented diff, similar but different. Bought the fittings to place a 90 degree setup on the diff. Ran a hose along the brake lines, installed an inexpensive Wix fuel filter and ran the hose into the left rear bed storage box.

Not as intense as the engine compartment for deep water, but still pretty high up and inside a semi sealed box.

PK
Bed box is a good idea. 1st gens don't have those.
Old 05-25-2013, 04:45 AM   #146

PMK's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Bed box is a good idea. 1st gens don't have those.
Wasn't knocking your your install, yours is no doubt better for deep water. Before I did mine, I noticed there were some setups that tied the gearbox, trans, front axle and rear axle to a common filtered location on the firewall.

Being a 2wd prerunner, I will likely see deeper water from a flooded street than get crazy enough to sink it in a mudbog.

The other downside to the newer trucks I am learning is how the VSC system and electronic Auto LSD (the one that applies a brake to the slipping wheel) also cuts the engine power if it senses a speed above 30 mph and the wheels are slipping or the chassis senses a slide.

The x runner guys have some work arounds for drag racing, but no one so far has a good method for off-road.

PK
Old 05-25-2013, 08:12 AM   #147

O that's interesting.

I thought I read somewhere you can turn those off by pushing then a couple times or pushing and holding the buttons.
Old 05-26-2013, 04:28 AM   #148

PMK's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
O that's interesting.

I thought I read somewhere you can turn those off by pushing then a couple times or pushing and holding the buttons.
Problem is, once the computer sees over 30 mph it resets, and if the computer deems it needs to from wheelspin or sliding sideways, it cuts the power to the engine until the computer believes it has recovered the truck for the driver.

It seems the x runner guys need to disconnect the brake switch in order to accomplish a burnout before a 1/4 mile run. If their truck senses the wheelspin it chops the power.

This makes the newer trucks less desirable if you plan to drive them off-road or in the case of the x runner, race it.

PK
Old 05-26-2013, 07:37 PM   #149
I'm the Man
Kicklighter has much to be proud ofKicklighter has much to be proud ofKicklighter has much to be proud ofKicklighter has much to be proud ofKicklighter has much to be proud ofKicklighter has much to be proud ofKicklighter has much to be proud ofKicklighter has much to be proud ofKicklighter has much to be proud of

Name: Andy
Kicklighter's Tacoma Gallery
New Here

Hey ya'll, my name's Andy. I'm 18 I live in Palm Beach Gardens. Dan (AWorthyOpponent) told me to join here. Dan- next time you're at Chick-Fil-A we'll talk about a place to go wheeling.

I know of a mud hole out in Hobe Sound behind my buddy's house ya'll. It gets pretty hairy out there. I'll be lifting my truck soon and doing some sweet mods thanks to AllProOffroad.com! Look forward to hangin with ya'll.
Attached Thumbnails
South Florida B.S. Thread-img_2043.jpg  
Old 05-27-2013, 05:22 AM   #150

Quote:
Problem is, once the computer sees over 30 mph it resets, and if the computer deems it needs to from wheelspin or sliding sideways, it cuts the power to the engine until the computer believes it has recovered the truck for the driver.

It seems the x runner guys need to disconnect the brake switch in order to accomplish a burnout before a 1/4 mile run. If their truck senses the wheelspin it chops the power.

This makes the newer trucks less desirable if you plan to drive them off-road or in the case of the x runner, race it.

PK
Oh wow. That would deter me from getting a new one if there wasn't a way around it. It makes sense from a safety aspect, I guess, but when you want to push it to the limit, you don't want the truck to fight against you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kicklighter View Post
Hey ya'll, my name's Andy. I'm 18 I live in Palm Beach Gardens. Dan (AWorthyOpponent) told me to join here. Dan- next time you're at Chick-Fil-A we'll talk about a place to go wheeling.

I know of a mud hole out in Hobe Sound behind my buddy's house ya'll. It gets pretty hairy out there. I'll be lifting my truck soon and doing some sweet mods thanks to AllProOffroad.com! Look forward to hangin with ya'll.
Howdy. I bought my truck from someone up in hobe sound.
Old 05-27-2013, 07:24 AM   #151
Member Caught Off Road
AWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dan
AWorthyOpponent's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Will need an alignment pretty soon.

Weber on Georgia Ave, was always good but expensive last time they did the e150 van.

Are they still good or any better suggestions.

PK
Tires plus on Jog, just south of Okeechobee did a great job on mine. The older guy with glasses really knows his alignments and got mine right after the dealer, goodyear, and another tires plus had tried. Just went to them and payed for the lifetime alignment. Basically they'll align the front tires as often as you want, and its only like $150. If its more, you can talk then down...absolutely worth it if you're keeping the truck...
Old 05-27-2013, 07:39 AM   #152
Member Caught Off Road
AWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:

Success!! Definitely gonna have to set up a wheeling trip soon.
Old 05-29-2013, 06:10 PM   #153
Member Caught Off Road

I really want to BHLM my lights, but I'm scared...anyone want to try it with me?
Old 05-29-2013, 06:32 PM   #155

PMK's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Oh wow. That would deter me from getting a new one if there wasn't a way around it. It makes sense from a safety aspect, I guess, but when you want to push it to the limit, you don't want the truck to fight against you.

I was messing around with the button on Monday while headed to the in-laws. I tried Auto LSD, ANti-lock brakes off, stomped it to spin the tires, got flashing anti-lock lights, got VSC lights and buzzers when it went sideways and I still don't have it sorted out. Even tried reading the manual.

Guess I really need to remove the open diff and install this truetrac locker and then see what happens.

PK
Old 05-30-2013, 06:58 AM   #157
Member Caught Off Road

Quote:
Let us know. Trying to get some real tires for my second set of rims. Need worthy 17's if anyone has a deal on tires.

PK
Did you ever find any rims? I know you were looking for a set of TRD 17's...
Old 05-30-2013, 10:15 AM   #158
Sippi is on a distinguished road

Sippi's Tacoma Gallery
Makes two of us...I have been looking for some BFG ATs but no luck finding them for the 17s.
Old 05-30-2013, 05:19 PM   #159
I'm the Man
Kicklighter has much to be proud ofKicklighter has much to be proud ofKicklighter has much to be proud ofKicklighter has much to be proud ofKicklighter has much to be proud ofKicklighter has much to be proud ofKicklighter has much to be proud ofKicklighter has much to be proud ofKicklighter has much to be proud of

Name: Andy
Kicklighter's Tacoma Gallery
Just bought Pro comp rock crawler series 98. 17x9 with 3.5" backspace. Will run Toyo Open Country MTs on those... 295/70 R17. Hopefully ordering those next week and will have this truck in the air in the next few weeks
Old 05-31-2013, 02:32 AM   #160

Quote:
Just bought Pro comp rock crawler series 98. 17x9 with 3.5" backspace. Will run Toyo Open Country MTs on those... 295/70 R17. Hopefully ordering those next week and will have this truck in the air in the next few weeks
Very nice.

Products Discussed in this Thread