Florida Tacomas

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Regional Discussion > Regions > Florida

Notices

Engine protection while off-roading

Old 10-15-2013, 10:11 AM   #22
Kick A$$ Member
LoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter
LoadedTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by XXXX View Post
You can do whatever you want.

Parts guys and techs need someone to keep them in business
That is true. Plus I have less guilt upgrading something when it breaks vs when it is in perfect working order.
Old 10-15-2013, 10:24 AM   #23
Banned
XXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: sKiP
XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoadedTaco View Post
That is true. Plus I have less guilt upgrading something when it breaks vs when it is in perfect working order.
After replacing my entire front end prematurely and having engine issues I now stay out of mud as much as possible. Not so easy when all my trails are below the water table
Old 10-15-2013, 10:36 AM   #24
Kick A$$ Member
LoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
After replacing my entire front end prematurely and having engine issues I now stay out of mud as much as possible. Not so easy when all my trails are below the water table
Damn! Yeah that is not funny. I don't usually get to crazy in water and mud out of fear of that happening. The video and GIF are from my first time wheeling. I plan on having my truck forever so I don't want to destroy it in the first couple years of having it.
Old 10-15-2013, 10:41 AM   #25
Banned
XXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: sKiP
XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Damn! Yeah that is not funny. I don't usually get to crazy in water and mud out of fear of that happening. The video and GIF are from my first time wheeling. I plan on having my truck forever so I don't want to destroy it in the first couple years of having it.

Slow down and you will be much better off..... this is my typical speed or a little above what I normally do. If I had another truck there I would of gone slower.

Photobucket video

Old 10-15-2013, 02:17 PM   #26
TAC1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAC1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAC1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAC1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAC1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAC1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAC1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAC1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAC1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAC1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAC1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Petros "Peter" AGE: 41
TAC1's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Do not drive fast. Your truck will create a bow wave at the right speeds lessening your chances of screwing up something.

The cleaner the water the better (don't be the last guy through the hole).

Exactly what you don't want to do. If your spraying mud on your hood your spraying the crap out of your alternator and starter.
Great suggestions.
Thanks!

Quote:
So what you guys are saying is I shouldn't of done this?

And probably not this?

http://youtu.be/2bwTebdreZY
DAMN!

Quote:
Why did you have to replace your front end & what engine issues were you having?
Old 10-15-2013, 02:26 PM   #27
If at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving
colinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Colin
colinb17's Tacoma Gallery
Though it may not be far behind, odds are you're going to fry idler pulley bearings before the alternator or starter. Boyd said it.....go slow, and go second. first is cleaner water, but you want someone else to find those 8 foot deep sink holes before you do

for example, this toasted an idler in half a second....

and this 20 second swim (that's a long time to sit in water that deep) did absolutely nothing....

Old 10-16-2013, 05:00 AM   #30
PMK is one of the sharper tools in the shedPMK is one of the sharper tools in the shedPMK is one of the sharper tools in the shedPMK is one of the sharper tools in the shedPMK is one of the sharper tools in the shedPMK is one of the sharper tools in the shedPMK is one of the sharper tools in the shedPMK is one of the sharper tools in the shedPMK is one of the sharper tools in the shedPMK is one of the sharper tools in the shedPMK is one of the sharper tools in the shed

PMK's Tacoma Gallery
Yes idler pulleys. I have in the past, on other vehicles, either fully packed the bearings with good grease, or disassembled them, replaced the bearing, but first, cleaned the oem grease and filled with good grease.

I had read there is a vent on the starter, as time permits, I'm going to see if it's possible to route the vent higher up and externally seal the seams.

As for the alternator, I have never done this, but it could be much safer to wire a system with single master switch shut down the alternator. This would reduce any loads, but limit the chance to short the internal electrical components. Once clear of the water, and after a minute o let the alternator drain and dry, it could be brought back on line.

Not saying it would be beer or worse, just presenting an idea.

Also Peter, if I had plans to drive in that much water, I would seriously consider making some rinse holes in the brake drums and even consider drilling some series of holes in the brake shoe friction surfaces. his would allow the ability to easily rinse the majority of crud out of the rear brakes.

PK
Old 10-16-2013, 07:39 AM   #31
If at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving
colinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Colin
colinb17's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAC1 View Post
Hey colin,

Cool boat! Looks like a Tacoma!
lol. She's since been christened the SS Pucker Factor.
Old 10-16-2013, 11:55 AM   #32
Kick A$$ Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMK View Post
Also Peter, if I had plans to drive in that much water, I would seriously consider making some rinse holes in the brake drums and even consider drilling some series of holes in the brake shoe friction surfaces. his would allow the ability to easily rinse the majority of crud out of the rear brakes.

PK
I typically don't "plan" on driving through water like that. It was my first trip and I didn't know anything. After those two events happened. I was informed about the risks of driving in water like that. I don't drive fast in water anymore, but I definitely drive in water sometimes.

Thanks for the tips. I am not sure how or what I would do to go about drilling holes in the drums/shoes. I am mechanically inclined, but pretty inexperienced.
Old 10-17-2013, 04:08 AM   #34
subaru of america
rickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Ricky
rickmeseke's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxamillion2345 View Post
The amount of mud a 2wd could get himself into makes me doubt it's much of a concern.
Don't hate on 2wd

I did just fine at citrus last year besides getting pulled out 6 tomes by taco hell lol
Old 10-17-2013, 04:16 AM   #35
PMK is one of the sharper tools in the shedPMK is one of the sharper tools in the shedPMK is one of the sharper tools in the shedPMK is one of the sharper tools in the shedPMK is one of the sharper tools in the shedPMK is one of the sharper tools in the shedPMK is one of the sharper tools in the shedPMK is one of the sharper tools in the shedPMK is one of the sharper tools in the shedPMK is one of the sharper tools in the shedPMK is one of the sharper tools in the shed

PMK's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I typically don't "plan" on driving through water like that. It was my first trip and I didn't know anything. After those two events happened. I was informed about the risks of driving in water like that. I don't drive fast in water anymore, but I definitely drive in water sometimes.

Thanks for the tips. I am not sure how or what I would do to go about drilling holes in the drums/shoes. I am mechanically inclined, but pretty inexperienced.
Yes you drove through water, but if you saw the hump videos from Homestead shot this past weekend, you would see the water I was referring to with Tac1.

Water overall can be bad, but for DD trucks, that water was pretty deep for minimal oem pretection.

Don't take it wrong, yours was cool also. You kind of splashed through, these guys were like a war movie when the captain calls out DIVE!, DIVE! DIVE!.

PK
Old 10-17-2013, 04:29 AM   #36
Pavement Princess
Warputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Vet - 1st Inf. Div.
Name: Chris
Warputer's Tacoma Gallery
Last time I changed my air filter, the paper filter was stained with red mud.....not good.
Old 10-17-2013, 05:01 AM   #37
TAC1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAC1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAC1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAC1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAC1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAC1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAC1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAC1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAC1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAC1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAC1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Petros "Peter" AGE: 41
TAC1's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by PMK View Post
Yes you drove through water, but if you saw the hump videos from Homestead shot this past weekend, you would see the water I was referring to with Tac1.

Water overall can be bad, but for DD trucks, that water was pretty deep for minimal oem pretection.

Do take it wrong, yours was cool also. You kind of splashed through, these guys were like a war movie when the captain calls out DIVE!, DIVE! DIVE!.

PK