Florida Tacomas

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Regional Discussion > Regions > Florida

Notices

Engine protection while off-roading

Old 09-15-2013, 04:34 PM   #1
TAC1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAC1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAC1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAC1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAC1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAC1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAC1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAC1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAC1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAC1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAC1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Petros "Peter" AGE: 41
TAC1's Tacoma Gallery
Engine protection while off-roading

Hello Forum,

Any suggestions or ideas on how to protect the engine while mudding (besides not going mudding, LOL)? I'm always concerned that I'll damage my alternator or A/C compressor.

Thanks
Old 09-15-2013, 04:40 PM   #2
I pull Tacomas' around for a living.
Jon4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJon4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJon4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJon4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJon4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJon4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJon4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJon4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJon4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJon4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJon4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jonathan (Jon)
Jon4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Jon4x4
......? just rinse off when you're finished.
Old 09-15-2013, 04:46 PM   #3
Sometimes when I close my eyes, I can't see.
Toyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jason
Toyota Tech31's Tacoma Gallery
He's talking about while he's actually going through the mud. Since Tacoma alternators are placed so low it's an issue when it comes to mud and river crossings. Not really sure how to help as that's not my forte, but I'm sure someone will be in to help.
Old 09-15-2013, 04:53 PM   #4
TAC1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAC1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAC1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAC1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAC1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAC1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAC1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAC1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAC1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAC1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAC1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

TAC1's Tacoma Gallery
Thank you for "wording" it better than I did Toyota Tech31. That's exactly my concern.

Jon4x4, I usually rinse off the engine ASAP & I do it with the engine idling. I don't shoot the water into the alternator or compressor. I just lightly rinse those areas.

Thank you both.
Old 09-15-2013, 05:00 PM   #5
Sometimes when I close my eyes, I can't see.
Toyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jason
Toyota Tech31's Tacoma Gallery
If you are concerned about citrus, there are very few deep mud areas. Jon4x4 was lucky enough to find the deepest I have seen out there yet. I found one, but only diff deep, not too bad. Citrus is more clay, sand, and grass/dirt trails and articulation areas. IMO, you will be just fine out there, I have seen plenty of stock tacos go out there and never have an issue.
Old 09-15-2013, 05:07 PM   #6

TAC1's Tacoma Gallery
That's awesome news! A few other members also mentioned that I should be fine out there but you reminded me of what others have said about the mud. Don't get me wrong, I DO want to go through some mud but not ALL THE TIME. The trails are actually what appeal to me most & we don't have that in Miami. I have a friend in Cleveland, Tennessee who drives his stock Cherokee on some beautiful trails.

Thanks again for answering so many of my questions man. I appreciate that.
Old 09-15-2013, 08:41 PM   #7
if your not the lead dog, the view never changes
k9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Farva
k9cop's Tacoma Gallery
this is the muddiest i have ever been at citrus so don't worry bout it.
Old 09-15-2013, 08:45 PM   #9
VA6DCO
IgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: David
IgnorantlyAlberta's Tacoma Gallery
I killed my starter with mud one time. The little vent tubes easily took in mud.
Never had an issue with anything else though. I've had My truck fairly deep and pressure wash the entire engine with no issues.....yet.
Old 09-15-2013, 09:32 PM   #10

TAC1's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the info guys. This vid is one of my first times off-roading. My truck is a little higher now.
http://youtu.be/H62TXOmRZe4

And this one was earlier this year behind the Regal Cinemas in WPB:
http://youtu.be/wJoGGH7naQE

I thought I damaged the underside but all I did was bend the metal plate under the engine. Found one off of a 2011 for $40.
Old 09-18-2013, 09:53 PM   #11
Finks99Taco has a brilliant futureFinks99Taco has a brilliant futureFinks99Taco has a brilliant futureFinks99Taco has a brilliant futureFinks99Taco has a brilliant futureFinks99Taco has a brilliant futureFinks99Taco has a brilliant futureFinks99Taco has a brilliant futureFinks99Taco has a brilliant futureFinks99Taco has a brilliant futureFinks99Taco has a brilliant future

Name: 'Fink'
Finks99Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Hey I'm in this video!

I love watching the other videos it suggests after it's over. Like watching them try to get that stock excursion out.
Old 09-18-2013, 10:07 PM   #12
Member Caught Off Road
AWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dan
AWorthyOpponent's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finks99Taco View Post
Hey I'm in this video!

I love watching the other videos it suggests after it's over. Like watching them try to get that stock excursion out.
Me too!!!

Those guys and their egos...
Old 09-18-2013, 10:26 PM   #13
Finks99Taco has a brilliant futureFinks99Taco has a brilliant futureFinks99Taco has a brilliant futureFinks99Taco has a brilliant futureFinks99Taco has a brilliant futureFinks99Taco has a brilliant futureFinks99Taco has a brilliant futureFinks99Taco has a brilliant futureFinks99Taco has a brilliant futureFinks99Taco has a brilliant futureFinks99Taco has a brilliant future

Name: 'Fink'
Finks99Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Should have just pulled it from the rear...probably would have had it out of there in 5 minutes, if that.
Old 10-15-2013, 08:59 AM   #15
jmangone is a glorious beacon of lightjmangone is a glorious beacon of lightjmangone is a glorious beacon of lightjmangone is a glorious beacon of lightjmangone is a glorious beacon of lightjmangone is a glorious beacon of light
Name: josh
jmangone's Tacoma Gallery
From Sunday.
Attached Thumbnails
Engine protection while off-roading-20131014_094529.jpg   Engine protection while off-roading-20131014_094524.jpg  
Old 10-15-2013, 09:07 AM   #16
Banned
XXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: sKiP
XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAC1 View Post
Hello Forum,

Any suggestions or ideas on how to protect the engine while mudding (besides not going mudding, LOL)? I'm always concerned that I'll damage my alternator or A/C compressor.

Thanks
Do not drive fast. Your truck will create a bow wave at the right speeds lessening your chances of screwing up something.

The cleaner the water the better (don't be the last guy through the hole).

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmangone View Post
From Sunday.
Exactly what you don't want to do. If your spraying mud on your hood your spraying the crap out of your alternator and starter.
Old 10-15-2013, 09:16 AM   #17

TAC1's Tacoma Gallery
HAHA!

Same here jmangone. I ended up washing it myself with the engine running. I wiped it down as if I were washing the truck itself. I noticed some light scratches on the sided also but I will have the truck waxed after Citrus. The local car wash guy that I take my truck to said that they will come off. It's very, very, light.
Old 10-15-2013, 09:25 AM   #18
Go home if you don't like guns liquor and whores.
maxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Max
maxamillion2345's Tacoma Gallery
The amount of mud a 2wd could get himself into makes me doubt it's much of a concern.
Old 10-15-2013, 09:26 AM   #19
Kick A$$ Member
LoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter
LoadedTaco's Tacoma Gallery
So what you guys are saying is I shouldn't of done this?

And probably not this?

http://youtu.be/2bwTebdreZY
Old 10-15-2013, 09:32 AM   #20
Banned
XXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: sKiP
XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoadedTaco View Post
So what you guys are saying is I shouldn't of done this?

And probably not this?

You can do whatever you want.

Parts guys and techs need someone to keep them in business