Florida Tacomas

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Regional Discussion > Regions > Florida

Notices

Richloam WMA Info & Meet Thread

Old 09-20-2013, 10:19 AM   #1
Interco Tire Snob
Taco No Baka is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco No Baka is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco No Baka is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco No Baka is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco No Baka is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco No Baka is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco No Baka is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco No Baka is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco No Baka is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco No Baka is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco No Baka is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Lee
Taco No Baka's Tacoma Gallery
Richloam WMA Info & Meet Thread

Richloam WMA is located off of State Road 471 just south of State Road 50 (28 28'52.52"N, 82 3'16.64"W). It sits about halfway between Tampa, Orlando, and Ocala.

http://myfwc.com/hunting/wma-brochures/ne/richloam/

This area is open to public recreation access year around with miles of trails to ride on both sides of SR471--although mid-October to early January is hunting season and is apt to get a bit crowded with dog hunters racing around the trails chasing their dogs. Access is free and dogs are allowed as long as they are on a leash.

The terrain is mostly planted pine forest and swamp, and the trails are anything from mild to wild--tight two-trackers through the woods to submerged trails you can't see the other end of, to mud holes that would swallow a monster truck. The challenges are mostly mud and water crossings, with some trails submerged for long distances, but no real technical wheeling to speak of.

Here's a vid of what to expect, though keep in mind it's a highlight reel so not everything out there is quite so interesting--although some of it can be quite a bit more interesting as well. (Sorry about the Heeps, but when we get a good vid of a TW meet, I'll replace this one with it.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3fQJ4_dg0JI

If you're interested in setting up a meet at Richloam, please announce it here.

Suggested meeting/gathering point:

Meets in the books:

10/06/2013

Attached Thumbnails
Richloam WMA Info & Meet Thread-richloam-meeting-spot.jpg   Richloam WMA Info & Meet Thread-richloam-meeting-spot2.jpg  
Old 09-20-2013, 10:25 AM   #2
Interco Tire Snob
Taco No Baka is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco No Baka is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco No Baka is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco No Baka is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco No Baka is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco No Baka is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco No Baka is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco No Baka is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco No Baka is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco No Baka is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco No Baka is one of the sharper tools in the shed

If anyone is interested in meeting here on a Sunday 10/6/13, I'm planning a trip out there to shake down my truck in preparation for the Citrus meets in Nov and Jan. I'd like to have at least on other 4WD along to rescue me if I get crazy and push the envelope a bit too far.

Meeting time: 9 AM
Place: North Grade entrance & SR 471 (as pictured in the OP)

List:
1. Taco no Baka (1st Gen 4WD)
2. Goomba (1st Gen 4WD) (If his truck is fixed?)
3. Michaelrussell (B2 4WD)
4. Blackhorse (1st Gen 2WD)
5. 2010TRD (2nd Gen 4WD)
6. Nd4Spd86(2nd Gen 4WD)
7. K9cop (2nd Gen 2WD) (tentative)
Old 09-20-2013, 10:47 AM   #3
if your not the lead dog, the view never changes
k9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shed

k9cop's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco No Baka View Post
If anyone is interested in meeting here on 9/28/13 or 10/5/13, I'm planning a trip out there to shake down my truck in preparation for the Citrus meets in Nov and Jan. I'd like to have at least on other 4WD along to rescue me if I get crazy and push the envelope a bit too far.

Let me know and we'll start a list. The dates are flexible if Sundays work better for most folks.
Shoot bro gotta work. That vid does not look 2wd friendly et all..
Old 09-20-2013, 11:12 AM   #4
Interco Tire Snob

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9cop View Post
Shoot bro gotta work. That vid does not look 2wd friendly et all..
Some of it isn't. Heck, some of it isn't 4WD friendly, lol. But you'd be surprised at how much of it you could go through with a 2WD. Most of the water crossings on the trails are hard sandy bottoms. As long as you keep your breather above the water and have a halfway decent set of tires you could walk right through most of it, especially if you got a locker. Not saying it wouldn't be a challenge, but if it wasn't, what would be the point?

The nasty looking mud hole they were playing in was just that, a mud hole. Not part of the trails that a 2WD would have to negotiate.
Old 09-20-2013, 11:44 AM   #5
It is a Fluid Situation
goomba has much to be proud ofgoomba has much to be proud ofgoomba has much to be proud ofgoomba has much to be proud ofgoomba has much to be proud ofgoomba has much to be proud ofgoomba has much to be proud ofgoomba has much to be proud of
Name: Josh
goomba's Tacoma Gallery
Most of the puddles out there have hard pack sand under the mud. If it is a sunday i might beable to make it
Old 09-20-2013, 11:58 AM   #6
Interco Tire Snob

Quote:
Originally Posted by goomba View Post
Most of the puddles out there have hard pack sand under the mud. If it is a sunday i might beable to make it
Outstanding! Sunday it is, but which one is better for you? the 29th or the 6th?
Old 09-20-2013, 12:03 PM   #7
It is a Fluid Situation
goomba has much to be proud ofgoomba has much to be proud ofgoomba has much to be proud ofgoomba has much to be proud ofgoomba has much to be proud ofgoomba has much to be proud ofgoomba has much to be proud ofgoomba has much to be proud of
goomba's Tacoma Gallery
I will have to see. but it would nice to get back out there
Old 09-20-2013, 12:29 PM   #8
Interco Tire Snob

Quote:
Originally Posted by goomba View Post
I will have to see. but it would nice to get back out there
It's been at least 10 years for me since I've been out there. I've always had a bit of a love/hate relationship with Richloam. As long as I had another vehicle for back-up, I never had any problems, but if I was the only vehicle, we always ended up hiking out for help, lol. That old guy with the blue chevy at the fish hatchery save my bacon a couple of times. Wonder if he's still around?

I enjoyed Hardrock and the pits. It was pretty exciting. Richloam, on the other hand, is more relaxing for me, but still challenging and fun.
Old 09-20-2013, 01:14 PM   #9
nammer is one of the sharper tools in the shednammer is one of the sharper tools in the shednammer is one of the sharper tools in the shednammer is one of the sharper tools in the shednammer is one of the sharper tools in the shednammer is one of the sharper tools in the shednammer is one of the sharper tools in the shednammer is one of the sharper tools in the shednammer is one of the sharper tools in the shednammer is one of the sharper tools in the shednammer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nam
nammer's Tacoma Gallery
pretty much in for the 29th

also if only 4wd trucks are goin, maybe i'll ride with one of u guys to save us the hassle of me repeatedly getting stuck
Old 09-20-2013, 01:18 PM   #10
Interco Tire Snob

Quote:
Originally Posted by nammer View Post

also if only 4wd trucks are goin, maybe i'll ride with one of u guys to save us the hassle of me repeatedly getting stuck
This works too.
Old 09-20-2013, 01:28 PM   #11
Interco Tire Snob

Quote:

You can be the official trip photographer/camera man, so bring your video/camera equipment and I'll bring my ancient lap top so I can get a copy of the raw footage.
Old 09-20-2013, 02:50 PM   #12
Interco Tire Snob

This is the route I mapped out, looking for the good spots on Google Earth. This is right at about 50 miles of trails.

Attached Thumbnails
Richloam WMA Info & Meet Thread-richloam.jpg  
Old 09-20-2013, 03:30 PM   #13
nammer is one of the sharper tools in the shednammer is one of the sharper tools in the shednammer is one of the sharper tools in the shednammer is one of the sharper tools in the shednammer is one of the sharper tools in the shednammer is one of the sharper tools in the shednammer is one of the sharper tools in the shednammer is one of the sharper tools in the shednammer is one of the sharper tools in the shednammer is one of the sharper tools in the shednammer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

nammer's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
You can be the official trip photographer/camera man, so bring your video/camera equipment and I'll bring my ancient lap top so I can get a copy of the raw footage.
no prob, canon point in shoot gonna be ready to go!
Old 09-20-2013, 03:35 PM   #14
Interco Tire Snob

Quote:
no prob, canon point in shoot gonna be ready to go!
As long as it's newer than my 12 y/o Powershot A20, yer good.
Old 09-20-2013, 04:48 PM   #15

nammer's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
As long as it's newer than my 12 y/o Powershot A20, yer good.
lol, def newer than A series, but not too much newer, it's one of those sd elfs
Old 09-20-2013, 06:20 PM   #16
It is a Fluid Situation
goomba's Tacoma Gallery
the guy with the blue chevy is still around lol Always cruising
Old 09-20-2013, 06:40 PM   #17
BELT FED 2OZ. PULL
river rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: River Boats,Mike's & PBR'S Viet-Nam 68&69
Name: Jim
river rat 69's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
This is the route I mapped out, looking for the good spots on Google Earth. This is right at about 50 miles of trails.

Where is this on the big map .Ive been north and south of 50 in Sumter Co. bird hunting..
Old 09-20-2013, 07:13 PM   #18
michaelrussell is one of the sharper tools in the shedmichaelrussell is one of the sharper tools in the shedmichaelrussell is one of the sharper tools in the shedmichaelrussell is one of the sharper tools in the shedmichaelrussell is one of the sharper tools in the shedmichaelrussell is one of the sharper tools in the shedmichaelrussell is one of the sharper tools in the shedmichaelrussell is one of the sharper tools in the shedmichaelrussell is one of the sharper tools in the shedmichaelrussell is one of the sharper tools in the shedmichaelrussell is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Michael
michaelrussell's Tacoma Gallery
I could probably do the 6th I'm taking the bronco out the 28th/29th for a camping / wheeling test trip close to home before going that far I used to go out to richloam every weekend with my uncle when I was kid if I don't make it out keep your eyes out if you go through gator hole it has that name for a reason
Old 09-21-2013, 12:10 AM   #19
Interco Tire Snob

Quote:
Originally Posted by river rat 69 View Post
Where is this on the big map .Ive been north and south of 50 in Sumter Co. bird hunting..
It's on the north most center of this map. See where the Little Withlacoochee River is near the top? It's on the other map too. Richloam is on the Green Swamp's northern border, but it also goes across SR471 with several trails on that side as well. In fact, the map I put up is essentially the box Sumter Co. makes with 471, Lake Co. and the green line of the Green Swamp's northern border.
Old 09-21-2013, 12:17 AM   #20
Interco Tire Snob

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelrussell View Post
I could probably do the 6th I'm taking the bronco out the 28th/29th for a camping / wheeling test trip close to home before going that far I used to go out to richloam every weekend with my uncle when I was kid if I don't make it out keep your eyes out if you go through gator hole it has that name for a reason
Good luck on your test trip!

We'll have to see what date Josh commits to and go from there.