Florida Tacomas

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Regional Discussion > Regions > Florida

Notices

Rust on coastal vehicles?

Old 03-12-2014, 01:03 PM   #1
blackpearl11 is on a distinguished road
blackpearl11's Tacoma Gallery
Rust on coastal vehicles?

Hey guys! So I was discussing with someone the effects of salt on cars around the coast. My friend says that cars that spend most of their time near the ocean usually have premature rust. From you guys who have lived in florida for awhile can you confirm or deny this? It just has me wondering since the roads don't usually get salt dumped on them in winter like the northeast I kinda thought that as long as you wash and wax your ride regularly you wouldn't have a problem. Just curious, thanks!!
Old 03-13-2014, 07:04 AM   #3
Sometimes when I close my eyes, I can't see.
Toyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jason
Toyota Tech31's Tacoma Gallery
I can pretty much look at a cars undercarriage and tell its from the coast. Though we may not have salted roads, on the coast, the salt is flying through the air 24/7. It is very common to get rust when living over there. I will admit, it's not as bad as a northern vehicle, but it is definitely there and noticeable.
Old 04-17-2014, 05:22 AM   #4
chobee is on a distinguished road
chobee's Tacoma Gallery
My experience after living on the beach many years ago is to wash the truck and the undercarriage regularly. Buy one of those wands that will spray water in the hard to reach places.
Old 04-17-2014, 09:03 AM   #5
jamesinkeys is just really nicejamesinkeys is just really nicejamesinkeys is just really nicejamesinkeys is just really nice
Name: james
jamesinkeys's Tacoma Gallery
Beautiful series one jag XKE completely rusted through on a bluff overlooking the Pacific Ocean, in matter of a year more or less. Just had a blue tarp over the car. Very sad indeed, (stoned hippy musicians)....