1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

NEED HELP WITH CHATTERING UNDER TRUCK!

Discussion in 'Florida' started by jmangone, Apr 19, 2014.

1. Apr 19, 2014 at 10:38 AM
    jmangone

jmangone [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    josh
    boca raton
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCSB TRD
    Tint,debadged, anytime fog mod ,diff breather extention for now........
    I have a 2013 TRD 4x4 and have only took it off road once or twice. I have always heard a slight chattering when im in motion and lightly on the gas in low rpm I hear a chatter when im on the gas. Afterthis last session of mud I now hear that chatter is louder and niw does it alot more now. I see my leaf springs are a little flat but im not sure if that has to be the issue. The dealer refuses to admit an issue only tells me its what thetruck sounds like. Ive read the TSB on driveline chatter and it doesnt fit 100% to me. If there is anyone out there that can possi point me in some kind of direction I would appreciate it. Ineed to find a way so that I can get it fixed under warranty if possible. Its a lease for god sake.

2. Apr 19, 2014 at 10:40 AM
    Gaunt596

Gaunt596 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matthew
    Central Maryland
    check cat heat Shields, they can get crap in them and rattle, also check skid plate for rocks and what not

3. Apr 19, 2014 at 11:55 AM
    TAC1

TAC1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tac1
    Miami, FL
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB O/R 4WD
    I was thinking the same thing. jmangone, when we went to Citrus (back when Fink still had his single cab 2WD) I noticed a sound similiar to what you are describing. In my case, it was the heat shield for the gas tank rubbing against my driveshaft. It's a very thin metal so I easily bent it back into place. It happened again on another off-road occasion & I again bent it back into place.

4. Apr 20, 2014 at 3:18 AM
    PMK

PMK Well-Known Member

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    10 DCLB TRD Sport
    White, debadged, Mudflaps removed, ICON 2.5 in front, 2.0 in rear, all 4 corners have reservoirs, Spidertrax wheel spacers all around, BAMF bolt on sliders, Avid lightbar, oem transmission cooler converted to power steering cooler, aftermarket transmission cooler eliminating all oem transmission cooler stuff, remote mounted spin on transmission fluid filter TrueTrac rear differential, rear diff housing vented and filtered into left side bed box, URD MAF calibrator, Volant intake scoop into oem airbox, second filter removed, airbox internals smoothed, blended and polished throttle body, NST intake manifold spacer, Wet Okolee set covers, WeatherTech Digital Fit mats, inexpensive JVC single DIN, Scangage, AVS Stepshield door sill protectors, Doug Thorley Long Tube Headers, URD Y pipe with O2 sims.
    While it may be a heatsheild or some other item rubbing or vibrating, I have to ask an obvious question. Assuming this happens off road only, could it be the antilock brakes and such trying to control wheelspin.

My truck before the TrueTrac would make all kinds of noises, enough that it freaked out the wife. Basically it was just the anti lock brake controller shuttling fluid under pressure.

If it happens all the time, take you hand and bang on each shield or guard, be certain it is not something simple like rocks caught on the top side of the shield.

PK

5. Apr 20, 2014 at 5:21 AM
    jmangone

Member:
    First Name:
    josh
    boca raton
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCSB TRD
    Thank you for the input, I forgot to add that this has been an issue since ive had the truck. Even before I took it offroad. Ive been fighting with the dealership for a while now and im just getting stuck on what I should do next. I am however going to check under the truck at the heat sheild,all along the exhaust, and the skid plate to see if there is anything lodged or stuck.

6. Apr 20, 2014 at 5:26 AM
    PMK

PMK Well-Known Member

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    10 DCLB TRD Sport
    White, debadged, Mudflaps removed, ICON 2.5 in front, 2.0 in rear, all 4 corners have reservoirs, Spidertrax wheel spacers all around, BAMF bolt on sliders, Avid lightbar, oem transmission cooler converted to power steering cooler, aftermarket transmission cooler eliminating all oem transmission cooler stuff, remote mounted spin on transmission fluid filter TrueTrac rear differential, rear diff housing vented and filtered into left side bed box, URD MAF calibrator, Volant intake scoop into oem airbox, second filter removed, airbox internals smoothed, blended and polished throttle body, NST intake manifold spacer, Wet Okolee set covers, WeatherTech Digital Fit mats, inexpensive JVC single DIN, Scangage, AVS Stepshield door sill protectors, Doug Thorley Long Tube Headers, URD Y pipe with O2 sims.
    Josh, in a worse case, if you need a second set of eyes to look, maybe we can hook up and I'll give it a look.

Ideally, you find that someone left some tools behind when the truck was being built or prepped.

PK

7. Apr 20, 2014 at 5:37 AM
    Steves104x4

Steves104x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Buffalo NY
    Vehicle:
    2010 RC 2.7 4x4
    BUCKLE UP! It makes it harder for Aliens to pull you out of your Truck.
    How many miles on the truck? Have you ever lubed the driveshaft u-joints? [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 20, 2014
  8. Apr 20, 2014 at 2:10 PM
    jmangone

Member:
    First Name:
    josh
    boca raton
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCSB TRD
    I might take you up on that offer, I only have just over 15000 miles on her and ive yet to change my diff oil. Ive read it should be done at 15000.

9. Jul 19, 2014 at 11:05 PM
    ETaco23

ETaco23 Marshall offroad Fabrication

Member:
    First Name:
    Evan
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    13' Pyrite Mica TRD Offroad DCSB 4x4
    Color Match Grille, Bed mat, Kings with JBA UCA's, Dakars and 34" BFG KM3, Snugtop Canopy, and my "Marshall Fabrication" Rock Sliders.
    Did you every fix the chattering noise? I have the same thing with my 12 and it's annoying. I'm thinking rear diff. But not sure. I recently changed the fluids but still there.
    I just got a one piece driveline to fix my vibes but the chattering is still there.

10. Jul 20, 2014 at 5:15 AM
    jmangone

Member:
    First Name:
    josh
    boca raton
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCSB TRD
    No I have yet to figure out what the issue is. I did take it in to the stealership and was gold Im a lier. I was told its just the heat sheild bouncing around withrocks caught in it. I washed the hell out of the truck including the heat sheilds. Still a rattle and now my a/cis acting up. Its over pressurized and again I was told im a lier. I am now at the point where im niw getting ridof this truck at the end of my lease and never going back to Toyota. I am now ashamed to have one of these rides as all that it does is shake, rattle and not cool properly im over it. Sorry but im no longer impressed with these trucks.

11. Jul 20, 2014 at 5:39 AM
    gearcruncher

gearcruncher Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Canadain bumper technician
    Great white North 51.0333° N, 93.8333° W
    Vehicle:
    2010.TRD.SportDCLB4x4Limited leather package
    TRD Sport Rally -5 speed automatic Limited ,Factory heated leather seats ,chrome package,Super white with front windows tinted to 35 % Dick Cepek DC-2 wheels Summer tires - Good year silent armor P265/65R17 Winter tires - Good year P265/65R17 Ultra Ice studded Illuminated 4x4 switch TRD 3rd brake light cover ($20) TRD seat belt shoulder protectors (5). ($50) TRD ...B pillar emblems ($20) TRD rear slider sticker with devil horns ( $6) TRD summer floor matts ($60) TRD steering wheel emblem ($20) TRD floor pedals .($95) TRD shorty antenna ($14) TRD front Windshield emblems ($17) TRD head pillows .($60) TRD head rest protectors TRD door scuff protection $20 TRD floor matt emblems ($40) TRD tow plug emblem . ($40) TRD cigarette lighter with LED.($35) TRD tissue dispenser ($12) TRD front bezel emblems ($9) TRD door emblems ($6) TRD lanyards($9) TRD lisence plates with TRD bolts($50) TRD fender emblems TRD center caps Part Number:PT904-35070-CC ($80) TRD cd

Products Discussed in

To Top