Florida Tacomas

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Regional Discussion > Regions > Florida

Notices

NEED HELP WITH CHATTERING UNDER TRUCK!

Old 04-19-2014, 10:38 AM   #1
jmangone is a glorious beacon of lightjmangone is a glorious beacon of lightjmangone is a glorious beacon of lightjmangone is a glorious beacon of lightjmangone is a glorious beacon of lightjmangone is a glorious beacon of light
Name: josh
jmangone's Tacoma Gallery
NEED HELP WITH CHATTERING UNDER TRUCK!

I have a 2013 TRD 4x4 and have only took it off road once or twice. I have always heard a slight chattering when im in motion and lightly on the gas in low rpm I hear a chatter when im on the gas. Afterthis last session of mud I now hear that chatter is louder and niw does it alot more now. I see my leaf springs are a little flat but im not sure if that has to be the issue. The dealer refuses to admit an issue only tells me its what thetruck sounds like. Ive read the TSB on driveline chatter and it doesnt fit 100% to me. If there is anyone out there that can possi point me in some kind of direction I would appreciate it. Ineed to find a way so that I can get it fixed under warranty if possible. Its a lease for god sake.
Old 04-19-2014, 10:40 AM   #2
Resident Otaku
Gaunt596 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGaunt596 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGaunt596 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGaunt596 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGaunt596 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGaunt596 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGaunt596 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGaunt596 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGaunt596 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGaunt596 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGaunt596 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matthew
Gaunt596's Tacoma Gallery
check cat heat Shields, they can get crap in them and rattle, also check skid plate for rocks and what not
Old 04-19-2014, 11:55 AM   #3
TAC1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAC1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAC1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAC1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAC1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAC1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAC1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAC1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAC1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAC1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAC1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Petros "Peter" AGE: 41
TAC1's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaunt596 View Post
check cat heat Shields, they can get crap in them and rattle, also check skid plate for rocks and what not
I was thinking the same thing. jmangone, when we went to Citrus (back when Fink still had his single cab 2WD) I noticed a sound similiar to what you are describing. In my case, it was the heat shield for the gas tank rubbing against my driveshaft. It's a very thin metal so I easily bent it back into place. It happened again on another off-road occasion & I again bent it back into place.
Old 04-20-2014, 03:18 AM   #4
PMK is one of the sharper tools in the shedPMK is one of the sharper tools in the shedPMK is one of the sharper tools in the shedPMK is one of the sharper tools in the shedPMK is one of the sharper tools in the shedPMK is one of the sharper tools in the shedPMK is one of the sharper tools in the shedPMK is one of the sharper tools in the shedPMK is one of the sharper tools in the shedPMK is one of the sharper tools in the shedPMK is one of the sharper tools in the shed

PMK's Tacoma Gallery
While it may be a heatsheild or some other item rubbing or vibrating, I have to ask an obvious question. Assuming this happens off road only, could it be the antilock brakes and such trying to control wheelspin.

My truck before the TrueTrac would make all kinds of noises, enough that it freaked out the wife. Basically it was just the anti lock brake controller shuttling fluid under pressure.

If it happens all the time, take you hand and bang on each shield or guard, be certain it is not something simple like rocks caught on the top side of the shield.

PK
Old 04-20-2014, 05:21 AM   #5
jmangone is a glorious beacon of lightjmangone is a glorious beacon of lightjmangone is a glorious beacon of lightjmangone is a glorious beacon of lightjmangone is a glorious beacon of lightjmangone is a glorious beacon of light
Thank you for the input, I forgot to add that this has been an issue since ive had the truck. Even before I took it offroad. Ive been fighting with the dealership for a while now and im just getting stuck on what I should do next. I am however going to check under the truck at the heat sheild,all along the exhaust, and the skid plate to see if there is anything lodged or stuck.
Old 04-20-2014, 05:37 AM   #7
Slow as shit. Cute as Hell.
Steves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
Steves104x4's Tacoma Gallery
How many miles on the truck? Have you ever lubed the driveshaft u-joints?
Old 04-20-2014, 02:10 PM   #8
I might take you up on that offer, I only have just over 15000 miles on her and ive yet to change my diff oil. Ive read it should be done at 15000.
Old 07-19-2014, 11:05 PM   #9
ETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Evan
ETaco23's Tacoma Gallery
Did you every fix the chattering noise? I have the same thing with my 12 and it's annoying. I'm thinking rear diff. But not sure. I recently changed the fluids but still there.
I just got a one piece driveline to fix my vibes but the chattering is still there.
Old 07-20-2014, 05:15 AM   #10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ETaco23 View Post
Did you every fix the chattering noise? I have the same thing with my 12 and it's annoying. I'm thinking rear diff. But not sure. I recently changed the fluids but still there.
I just got a one piece driveline to fix my vibes but the chattering is still there.
No I have yet to figure out what the issue is. I did take it in to the stealership and was gold Im a lier. I was told its just the heat sheild bouncing around withrocks caught in it. I washed the hell out of the truck including the heat sheilds. Still a rattle and now my a/cis acting up. Its over pressurized and again I was told im a lier. I am now at the point where im niw getting ridof this truck at the end of my lease and never going back to Toyota. I am now ashamed to have one of these rides as all that it does is shake, rattle and not cool properly im over it. Sorry but im no longer impressed with these trucks.