Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Regional Discussion > Regions > Florida

Notices

Moving to FL, looking for some advice

Old 06-09-2014, 01:49 PM   #1
Flowin is on a distinguished road
Flowin's Tacoma Gallery
Moving to FL, looking for some advice

Hey Guys,

We are planning to move to FL end of the year.
I basically grew up in the Charlotte Harbor area, but we don't feel like this would be a good fit for us anymore after visiting last week.

We narrowed it down to the Tampa area, but I haven't been there for a while.
We are no city people and prefer suburbs, I need to be within an hour of the airport for my Job.

What are some good suburbs to explore? What are areas to avoid?
Old 06-09-2014, 02:01 PM   #2
coastemac is on a distinguished road
Coast Guard: Gunner's Mate First Class (E-6) Weapons Instructor/Armorer
Name: Mac
coastemac's Tacoma Gallery
Spent the majority of my life in FL... PM me and I'll help you where I can.
Old 06-09-2014, 02:05 PM   #3
1stgen is on a distinguished road

Name: Ryan
1stgen's Tacoma Gallery
I would avoid my area(Dade city/Zephyrhills) Maybe Wesley Chapel because of I-75 and it having a lot of suburbs and actual places to eat that aren't McDonald's.
Old 06-09-2014, 02:10 PM   #4
Bad Spuller
Beavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Beavis
Beavis0076's Tacoma Gallery
good advice for moving to FL?
buy bugspray.
Old 06-09-2014, 02:13 PM   #5
Flowin's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beavis0076 View Post
good advice for moving to FL?
buy bugspray.
Lol always have some OFF in the truck, I grew up in FL I learned the hard way
Old 06-09-2014, 02:19 PM   #6
Flowin's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stgen View Post
I would avoid my area(Dade city/Zephyrhills) Maybe Wesley Chapel because of I-75 and it having a lot of suburbs and actual places to eat that aren't McDonald's.
Good point, I like to support local business as much as possible, was looking at Land o Lakes which is right there as well.
Old 06-09-2014, 02:23 PM   #7
Boerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: (South Africa) Mechanized Infantry. 1 SAI Btn
Name: Ferdie
Boerseun's Tacoma Gallery
OP, I am in Ellenton, between Sarasota and Tampa. Just east of us is Parrish which is country, but still within 45 minutes from the Tampa airport.
Old 06-09-2014, 02:52 PM   #8

1stgen's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flowin View Post
Good point, I like to support local business as much as possible, was looking at Land o Lakes which is right there as well.
I live 15 minutes from Wesley Chapel and we make the drive there pretty much every night because of the food. Just don't pick a place farther north than Dade City, not much out that way. Good Luck finding a place.
Old 06-09-2014, 02:58 PM   #9
Spigz is a splendid one to beholdSpigz is a splendid one to beholdSpigz is a splendid one to beholdSpigz is a splendid one to beholdSpigz is a splendid one to beholdSpigz is a splendid one to beholdSpigz is a splendid one to beholdSpigz is a splendid one to behold

Name: Daniel
Spigz's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stgen View Post
x2 I've got an aunt that lives in Wesley chapel. It's a really nice place with very good schools. I don't know much about the west coast but if you're wondering about central Florida at all send me a pm.
Old 06-09-2014, 03:01 PM   #10
TacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jackson
TacomaJack09's Tacoma Gallery
My parents live in St. Pete/Clearwater area by Tampa Bay. I'd recommend those areas! Great living over there and its close to the airport. Actually two airports
Old 06-09-2014, 03:10 PM   #11
frizzman is on a distinguished road

frizzman's Tacoma Gallery
I visit a friend in Haines City every year (about 75 minutes to Tampa) and it's down 27. definitely rural and spread out, plus a few decent places to eat within 30 minutes.
Old 06-09-2014, 03:36 PM   #13

1stgen's Tacoma Gallery
Plenty of those have to be in my county.
Old 06-09-2014, 04:51 PM   #14
Flowin's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks guys, appreciate the input. I know most areas between Naples and Sarasota however everything north of that is fairly new to me. Seems like Wesley Chapel is worth a look! I drove by there on Friday but we had no time to stop since we still had 1200mls ahead of us...
Old 06-09-2014, 05:04 PM   #15
Slow as shit. Cute as Hell.
Steves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
Steves104x4's Tacoma Gallery
Move close to the best restaurant in the area.
Old 06-09-2014, 05:22 PM   #16
A_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Medicaly Discharged 13M
A_Ninja_Racer's Tacoma Gallery
I would stay away from Westly Chapel the last time I was there it was one major traffic jam. they built a crap ton of housing out there and are way behind on expanding the roads. Brandon is getting Big now but definitely has the infrastructure in place to support its growth. It still gets jammed up but once you get to know the back roads its no big deal. Town & Country has great access to the Airport. I'm living there right now. The area I'm in is a bit older but but if you go a little bit further north there are some nice newer neighbor hoods in West Chase but they are pretty expensive.
Old 06-09-2014, 05:23 PM   #17
Banned
river rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: River Boats,Mike's & PBR'S Viet-Nam 68&69
Name: Jim
river rat 69's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burghlar View Post
Unless you're going to Disney, stay the hell out of Florida!

http://www.buzzfeed.com/mjs538/the-1...lorid?s=mobile
Brittany Morris · Follow · Top CommenterI stopped at reading at "Florida man has sex with pit bull in his yard as neighbors beg him to stop" to let you all know that I hope he rots in hell. Also, I love Florida so much. I can handle a few bath salt abusers if it means a 5 minute drive from the beach and year round warmth! It's better than the incest and snow that I grew up with in Pennsylvania...
Old 06-09-2014, 05:28 PM   #18
Slow as shit. Cute as Hell.
Steves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
Steves104x4's Tacoma Gallery
^^
Old 06-09-2014, 05:37 PM   #19
Banned
river rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: River Boats,Mike's & PBR'S Viet-Nam 68&69
Name: Jim
river rat 69's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steves104x4 View Post
^^
sup steve,,, want to bet there are fuck ups everywhere
Old 06-09-2014, 05:49 PM   #20

1stgen's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Ninja_Racer View Post
I would stay away from Westly Chapel the last time I was there it was one major traffic jam. they built a crap ton of housing out there and are way behind on expanding the roads. Brandon is getting Big now but definitely has the infrastructure in place to support its growth. It still gets jammed up but once you get to know the back roads its no big deal. Town & Country has great access to the Airport. I'm living there right now. The area I'm in is a bit older but but if you go a little bit further north there are some nice newer neighbor hoods in West Chase but they are pretty expensive.

What time of the day?