I'm off work for the next five days, so I decided to start on Satoshi/Jameoshi mixed mod. Here is what I have done so far...
The Dremel was a little bit challenging, so I used a mini hack saw as well...
Below are a few pictures after I sanded down the remaining tabs with the Dremel.
First time messing with fiberglass, but I think it turned out good!
Took off the tape and trimmed up the fiberglass with the Dremel, though it needs some touching up.
It was getting dark, so this is as far as I have gotten so far. Tomorrow I will hopefully finish it up, though I'm having a difficult time finding some steel mesh The grillcraft insert is too expensive, so I'm combining the Satoshi and Jameoshi styles together!
Will update tomorrow
Well, things didn't go at the speed I had anticipated, nor did I see the rain forecast .
Anyway, here are the pictures from today...
The Bondo was more challenging than I thought- PITA for sure. I think I used too much hardener, and then packed the crap in there good. This left me with a lot of sanding... I don't have any pictures of sanding, but I used 80 and 320 grit sandpaper, along with a mini belt sander.
I got this huge piece of 1/2" mesh steel from Cannon Welding over on Richard St. for $12! If it works and looks nice, I will be pleased with not spending $150 on a Grillcraft.
This is post-fiberglass, Bondo, sanding, washing. This also as far as I got before the rain ended my day.
So I started today by trying to paint it black, which did not work. I was not very patient with sanding, so I went out and bought the filler primer, which worked pretty well.
I don't have pictures, but I had to use Bondo spot filler to fill in some areas. Through this I learned that Bondo either sucks or I am just terrible with it!
While I was waiting for all the primer, black Krylon Fusion and clear coat to dry, I also completed the actual grille part.
Horrible picture, but it was hot as hell!
After this, things really took a turn for the worst. I tried the method of threaded posts epoxied to the plastic and then using a washer and nuts, like so...
I let these sit for about 12 hours, and the epoxy never solidified. I used Loctite Epoxy Gel, but it was either old (I bought it from Harbor Freight) or I suck at mixing it. Either way, when I tried to tighten the nut, the post twisted off.
Ditched effort #1. My dad had the idea that we could fiberglass the posts on, but that quickly turned into ditched effort #2. Frustration was quickly setting in at this point. I then saw the method lifesaflaw123 used with zip ties and those mounting squares, though I took of the sticky backing from the squares and used a lot of super glue. I do not have any pictures because it was dark, but this method has worked so far, even with a grille as heavy as mine!
After a lot of work and frustration, I finally finished it! I will probably have the grille insert powdercoated and take the rest of it to a professional to get the pits and rises sanded out and professionally painted. Anyway, here is the result of the project mostly done, minus whatever badge I want on it...
Sorry that the truck picture has the glare, but it was pitch black by the time I put it on the truck.
Since I had a lot of time during coats of paint, I decided to add on to the project with some Hella 500FF lights, which will be coming soon!