Florida Tacomas

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Regional Discussion > Regions > Florida

Notices

My Satoshi/Jameoshi mod journey

Old 07-01-2009, 07:49 PM   #1
Ka-freakin'-BOOM!
fghtngsquirrel is one of the sharper tools in the shedfghtngsquirrel is one of the sharper tools in the shedfghtngsquirrel is one of the sharper tools in the shedfghtngsquirrel is one of the sharper tools in the shedfghtngsquirrel is one of the sharper tools in the shedfghtngsquirrel is one of the sharper tools in the shedfghtngsquirrel is one of the sharper tools in the shedfghtngsquirrel is one of the sharper tools in the shedfghtngsquirrel is one of the sharper tools in the shedfghtngsquirrel is one of the sharper tools in the shedfghtngsquirrel is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
fghtngsquirrel's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to fghtngsquirrel
Talking My Satoshi/Jameoshi mod journey

I'm off work for the next five days, so I decided to start on Satoshi/Jameoshi mixed mod. Here is what I have done so far...

The Dremel was a little bit challenging, so I used a mini hack saw as well...

Below are a few pictures after I sanded down the remaining tabs with the Dremel.

First time messing with fiberglass, but I think it turned out good!

Took off the tape and trimmed up the fiberglass with the Dremel, though it needs some touching up.

It was getting dark, so this is as far as I have gotten so far. Tomorrow I will hopefully finish it up, though I'm having a difficult time finding some steel mesh The grillcraft insert is too expensive, so I'm combining the Satoshi and Jameoshi styles together!

Will update tomorrow

Well, things didn't go at the speed I had anticipated, nor did I see the rain forecast .

Anyway, here are the pictures from today...

The Bondo was more challenging than I thought- PITA for sure. I think I used too much hardener, and then packed the crap in there good. This left me with a lot of sanding... I don't have any pictures of sanding, but I used 80 and 320 grit sandpaper, along with a mini belt sander.

I got this huge piece of 1/2" mesh steel from Cannon Welding over on Richard St. for $12! If it works and looks nice, I will be pleased with not spending $150 on a Grillcraft.

This is post-fiberglass, Bondo, sanding, washing. This also as far as I got before the rain ended my day.

07.03.09-07.04.09

So I started today by trying to paint it black, which did not work. I was not very patient with sanding, so I went out and bought the filler primer, which worked pretty well.

I don't have pictures, but I had to use Bondo spot filler to fill in some areas. Through this I learned that Bondo either sucks or I am just terrible with it!

While I was waiting for all the primer, black Krylon Fusion and clear coat to dry, I also completed the actual grille part.

Horrible picture, but it was hot as hell!

After this, things really took a turn for the worst. I tried the method of threaded posts epoxied to the plastic and then using a washer and nuts, like so...

I let these sit for about 12 hours, and the epoxy never solidified. I used Loctite Epoxy Gel, but it was either old (I bought it from Harbor Freight) or I suck at mixing it. Either way, when I tried to tighten the nut, the post twisted off.

Ditched effort #1. My dad had the idea that we could fiberglass the posts on, but that quickly turned into ditched effort #2. Frustration was quickly setting in at this point. I then saw the method lifesaflaw123 used with zip ties and those mounting squares, though I took of the sticky backing from the squares and used a lot of super glue. I do not have any pictures because it was dark, but this method has worked so far, even with a grille as heavy as mine!

After a lot of work and frustration, I finally finished it! I will probably have the grille insert powdercoated and take the rest of it to a professional to get the pits and rises sanded out and professionally painted. Anyway, here is the result of the project mostly done, minus whatever badge I want on it...

Sorry that the truck picture has the glare, but it was pitch black by the time I put it on the truck.

Since I had a lot of time during coats of paint, I decided to add on to the project with some Hella 500FF lights, which will be coming soon!
Old 07-01-2009, 07:51 PM   #3
mall crawlin', web wheelin', concrete cowboy
FlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Paul
FlawedXJ's Tacoma Gallery
looks good bro, using my write up?
Old 07-01-2009, 07:56 PM   #4
Ka-freakin'-BOOM!
fghtngsquirrel is one of the sharper tools in the shedfghtngsquirrel is one of the sharper tools in the shedfghtngsquirrel is one of the sharper tools in the shedfghtngsquirrel is one of the sharper tools in the shedfghtngsquirrel is one of the sharper tools in the shedfghtngsquirrel is one of the sharper tools in the shedfghtngsquirrel is one of the sharper tools in the shedfghtngsquirrel is one of the sharper tools in the shedfghtngsquirrel is one of the sharper tools in the shedfghtngsquirrel is one of the sharper tools in the shedfghtngsquirrel is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Yeah, I use this name for everything... online, xbox...

Jameoshi was something I found here Click here . Mine will mostly be a Satoshi mod, though I'm using my own steel mesh instead of the Grillcraft.

As far as the write-up, I am using yours and this one... Satoshi by lwyattl
Old 07-01-2009, 07:57 PM   #5
Be a thinker, not a stinker
usctacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedusctacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedusctacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedusctacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedusctacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedusctacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedusctacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedusctacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedusctacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedusctacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedusctacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

usctacoma's Tacoma Gallery
looks good so far. good luck with the rest. i havent done the satoshi myself, but from what i hear, its a PITA.
Old 07-01-2009, 09:43 PM   #6
Ka-freakin'-BOOM!

It hasn't been too bad yet, though quite time-consuming. Also, I'm not sure if I used too much hardener or what, but the fiberglass mix dried up on me in 3-4 minutes, not 12-13 like the box claimed.
Old 07-01-2009, 09:49 PM   #7
Living vicariously through everybody
derekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: TW'S Hippy Liberal
derekabraham's Tacoma Gallery
Looking good!
Old 07-02-2009, 12:49 PM   #8
My other ride has 18,400HP!!!!!!
rmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy:
Name: Ryan
rmb_crew's Tacoma Gallery
awesome man i cant wait to see it in person. When are you gonna finish it?
Old 07-02-2009, 02:23 PM   #10
Ka-freakin'-BOOM!

I'm trying to finish it today actually, and waiting on the Bondo to set (that stuff is brutal if you don't work fast enough). The toughest part so far was finding some expanded steel mesh, but I just picked a sheet up at Cannon Welding.

I'll update it again tonight!
Old 07-02-2009, 03:52 PM   #11
rmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy:
someone posted this site awhile back when they did theres. You can have any design of expanded metal made, and in any material you want. I know it would take a few days to get it so sorry im late with it.
http://www.mcmaster.com/#mesh-screens/=19yilm
Old 07-05-2009, 01:41 AM   #12
Ka-freakin'-BOOM!

Updated
Old 07-05-2009, 01:49 AM   #13
Lest We Forget
cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
nice job
Old 07-08-2009, 11:34 PM   #14
Ka-freakin'-BOOM!

Well I am trying to mount the fog lights behind the grille, but they're wanting to rest on the radiator. Is that safe, or do y'all have any suggestions? I am using Hella 500FF lights with the factory mounting brackets and bolts. Thanks!
Old 07-08-2009, 11:40 PM   #15
Ka-freakin'-BOOM!

I think I figured something out actually... I feel dumb.
Old 07-09-2009, 03:54 AM   #17
Ka-freakin'-BOOM!

Yeah, I got them close to the radiator but not actually touching. Hopefully they'll stay that way. However, I hooked everything up and the lights are not coming on

Here are some pictures of the install though...

Old 07-21-2009, 06:29 AM   #18
mxracer16 is on a distinguished road
mxracer16's Tacoma Gallery
get job !!!1
Nice write up
great informational pictures and detail !!!!!

High 5 !!!!!

I love the color wish i wold have go that one ....in about 20 years when i beat up my swb trd then i will get that one.

Nice job again.
Old 07-21-2009, 06:56 AM   #19
Machine gun shits
paintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: shithead
paintdiddy's Tacoma Gallery
looks good and a nice write up
Old 07-21-2009, 01:02 PM   #20

Navy:
nice job man. Oh and i saw your bull bar for sale on craigslist a few days ago.