Florida Tacomas

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Regional Discussion > Regions > Florida

Notices

Florida B.S. Thread

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-06-2013, 11:05 PM   #42141
If at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving
colinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Colin
colinb17's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco No Baka View Post
Hey guys, question: When you do the pinch weld mod, do you actually cut it off or do you just flatten it over with a BFH?

Also, if someone knows of a good how-to thread with pics, please share it with me. I did a search and came up with 3+ pages of build threads (which are entirely too many to sift through for any relevant information) but no dedicated pinch weld mod thread.
don't cut it off or yo will have water leak issues from the separated panels.

bfh and a good arm and you'll be good to go. some people notch the pinch before hammering, but if you swing hard enough you may not need to do that. i just hammered mine over a couple of days ago without any cuts.
Old 09-06-2013, 11:14 PM   #42142
Interco Tire Snob
Taco No Baka is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco No Baka is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco No Baka is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco No Baka is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco No Baka is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco No Baka is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco No Baka is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco No Baka is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco No Baka is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco No Baka is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco No Baka is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Lee
Taco No Baka's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by colinb17 View Post
don't cut it off or yo will have water leak issues from the separated panels.

bfh and a good arm and you'll be good to go. some people notch the pinch before hammering, but if you swing hard enough you may not need to do that. i just hammered mine over a couple of days ago without any cuts.
Thanks. My first thought was just hammering it flat with a BFH, but then I read some stuff about people cutting it. I was thinking what you said about having separation/leakage issues with cutting it. S'cool though. I got a 4 lb dead blow, a 5 lb sledge, and an air hammer. I think I can gett'er done.
Old 09-06-2013, 11:18 PM   #42143
colinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

the 5 pounder will probably be your best bet
Old 09-06-2013, 11:31 PM   #42144
Interco Tire Snob
Taco No Baka is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco No Baka is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco No Baka is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco No Baka is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco No Baka is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco No Baka is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco No Baka is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco No Baka is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco No Baka is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco No Baka is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco No Baka is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
the 5 pounder will probably be your best bet
How far up should I go? The scuff mark on the plastic only goes up about 2 inches at the most, but that's not really in a stuffed condition...of course, I'm going to be leaving the sway bar on to minimize stuffing or I'll probably be eating the tops of the fenders.
Old 09-07-2013, 04:46 AM   #42145
The Past Through Tomorrow
JohnnyWayne is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnyWayne is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnyWayne is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnyWayne is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnyWayne is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnyWayne is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnyWayne is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnyWayne is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnyWayne is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnyWayne is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnyWayne is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Johnny
JohnnyWayne's Tacoma Gallery
Hiya fellas, I am getting ready to pull the trigger on an OME full kit and will try to tackle the install myself (with the help of my uncle and his full on tools) - was just wondering if anyone knows of any trustworthy shops down in the West Palm/Coral Springs area just in case all does not go as planned?

I know there is 4wp in palm beach and also DV8 motorsports up there too but they wanted to charge 600-700 for the install as well as try to sell me overpriced shitty lifts with blocks and I don't really go for that, pretty much set on the OME kit and doing it myself.

Thanks in advance for your time and anyone know any that they trust?
Old 09-07-2013, 08:57 PM   #42146
Khaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bryant
Khaos's Tacoma Gallery
Bought an UltraGauge last night. Now begins terrible wait for parts in the mail. Any recommendations as far as what gauges to run? Battery voltage is the only one I know for certain I plan to use.
Old 09-07-2013, 10:03 PM   #42148

Quote:
How far up should I go? The scuff mark on the plastic only goes up about 2 inches at the most, but that's not really in a stuffed condition...of course, I'm going to be leaving the sway bar on to minimize stuffing or I'll probably be eating the tops of the fenders.
if you're going to have the sway bar on, i'd just hammer where it rubs, and then go back and do some more as needed. but if you think you'll ever take the sway bar off, or up the tire size, might as well go nuts now.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khaos View Post
Bought an UltraGauge last night. Now begins terrible wait for parts in the mail. Any recommendations as far as what gauges to run? Battery voltage is the only one I know for certain I plan to use.
I don't have the ultragauge, but on my phone i have it set up for 7 different screens. on the main screen, i have:
-intake temp
-coolant temp
-gps speed
-throttle position
-calculated AFR (as opposed to measured, which is more accurate, but our trucks don't do with factory equipment)
-Fuel flow in GPH
Old 09-07-2013, 10:45 PM   #42149
Interco Tire Snob

Quote:
if you're going to have the sway bar on, i'd just hammer where it rubs, and then go back and do some more as needed. but if you think you'll ever take the sway bar off, or up the tire size, might as well go nuts now.....
Can't go any bigger on tire size without major structural changes. I'm already running 33x13.50s. That and I'm Lincoln locked with Swampers. I'll probably be breaking enough crap on that little IFS axle without going bigger. If I do go any bigger, it'll be after an SAS. The sway bar on the other hand...I dunno if I could get away with not running it. At least, not without butchering my fenders. They may or may not eat the top lip of the fender when stuffed, but it'd be close I think. I may try it at some point just to see what happens.

Thanks for the advice.

Ya know, thinking about it, a 1" body lift would probably solve all my remaining clearance issues. Meh, too much work though.
Old 09-07-2013, 10:51 PM   #42150

Quote:
Can't go any bigger on tire size without major structural changes. I'm already running 33x13.50s. That and I'm Lincoln locked with Swampers. I'll probably be breaking enough crap on that little IFS axle without going bigger. If I do go any bigger, it'll be after an SAS. The sway bar on the other hand...I dunno if I could get away with not running it. At least, not without butchering my fenders. They may or may not eat the top lip of the fender when stuffed, but it'd be close I think. I may try it at some point just to see what happens.

Thanks for the advice.

Ya know, thinking about it, a 1" body lift would probably solve all my remaining clearance issues. Meh, too much work though.
yeah, a body lift would help with the fenders and well, but they don't do anything if your hitting frame at all of course. and yeah, lots of work compared to swinging the hammer for an hour.

i don't know how the 1st gens work, but if the sway bars are as easy to remove as on the 2nd gens, might as well pop it off real quick and test it out
Old 09-07-2013, 11:27 PM   #42151
Interco Tire Snob

Quote:
yeah, a body lift would help with the fenders and well, but they don't do anything if your hitting frame at all of course. and yeah, lots of work compared to swinging the hammer for an hour.

i don't know how the 1st gens work, but if the sway bars are as easy to remove as on the 2nd gens, might as well pop it off real quick and test it out
I'm thinking that I'm not having much rubbing on the frame. I'm effectively running 3.50" back spacing on the wheels which is helping keep the tires off the frame. As it stands, I have three clearance issues: the front tires hitting the pinch weld at full locks, the pinch weld knocking against the slider legs when hitting bumps (or before the bias ply tires heat up and get round again), and the rear tires hitting the forward edge of the rear fender when approaching stuffed. A 1" body lift would definitely solve all those issues, or at least mitigate the rear tire rub a bit (I forgot to look and see if it was fully stuffed and sitting on the bump stop when I tested it).

The question would be if it was more work to install the body lift than it would be to flatten the pinch weld in the front wheel well and over each slider leg. I'm thinking it would be at this point, but I might change my mind once I start hammering, lol.

Oh, and yeah, the sway bar is pretty easy to detach.
Old 09-08-2013, 07:27 AM   #42152
Finks99Taco has a brilliant futureFinks99Taco has a brilliant futureFinks99Taco has a brilliant futureFinks99Taco has a brilliant futureFinks99Taco has a brilliant futureFinks99Taco has a brilliant futureFinks99Taco has a brilliant futureFinks99Taco has a brilliant futureFinks99Taco has a brilliant futureFinks99Taco has a brilliant futureFinks99Taco has a brilliant future

Name: 'Fink'
Finks99Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Dunno if the angle helps any...but I had to beat the crap out of that weld flat and then run an 1" wheel spacer but those are 285/75. I now have a 2" body lift in that picture and the tire perfectly rests inside (because the spindle is no longer attached to the LCA) I don't know the back spacing though, got the rims and tires from Tim.

As far as sway bar, I took that bad boy off and have no plans to put it back on. Even with a tight uturn, I never see an issue.

Florida B.S. Thread-image.jpgA
Old 09-08-2013, 08:08 AM   #42153
Banned
river rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: River Boats,Mike's & PBR'S Viet-Nam 68&69
Name: Jim
river rat 69's Tacoma Gallery
I started in Jan. to get back down to 170 Lbs.. Last night on the scale there it was 170 lbs... It took 8 mo. to get off 20lbs. Cut the pig outs to sat night only. and no pie, cake, or ice cream worked over the long run..Going to try to get down to 160 - 165 by end of the year..
Old 09-08-2013, 08:15 AM   #42154
Finks99Taco has a brilliant futureFinks99Taco has a brilliant futureFinks99Taco has a brilliant futureFinks99Taco has a brilliant futureFinks99Taco has a brilliant futureFinks99Taco has a brilliant futureFinks99Taco has a brilliant futureFinks99Taco has a brilliant futureFinks99Taco has a brilliant futureFinks99Taco has a brilliant futureFinks99Taco has a brilliant future

Name: 'Fink'
Finks99Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Woot good job
Old 09-08-2013, 12:55 PM   #42155
Support our troops!
The End is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe End is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe End is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe End is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe End is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe End is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe End is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe End is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe End is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe End is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe End is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Master at Arms
Name: Tim
The End's Tacoma Gallery
Bs was 4.5 fink
Old 09-08-2013, 01:04 PM   #42156
Khaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bryant
Khaos's Tacoma Gallery
Good job. I'm about to begin getting myself back into shape. I'm 260lbs right now, want to get back to about 225. I haven't been under 200lbs since I was 16.
Old 09-08-2013, 01:08 PM   #42157
Sometimes when I close my eyes, I can't see.
Toyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jason
Toyota Tech31's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by river rat 69 View Post
I started in Jan. to get back down to 170 Lbs.. Last night on the scale there it was 170 lbs... It took 8 mo. to get off 20lbs. Cut the pig outs to sat night only. and no pie, cake, or ice cream worked over the long run..Going to try to get down to 160 - 165 by end of the year..
Great job Jim.

I dropped just over 20 pounds this year. Got to 223 lb, I hadn't been 220 anything in probably 10 years or more. My back went out and I have already started putting it back on. The hardest thing for me is hitting that plateau and then not pushing past. I need to get back to it, my goal is to get to 200 or less.
Old 09-08-2013, 01:09 PM   #42158
Sometimes when I close my eyes, I can't see.
Toyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jason
Toyota Tech31's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khaos View Post
Good job. I'm about to begin getting myself back into shape. I'm 260lbs right now, want to get back to about 225. I haven't been under 200lbs since I was 16.
I'm the same way. I haven't been less than 200 since I was a freshman in high school playing football.
Old 09-08-2013, 01:41 PM   #42159
Motorboatin' SOB
Fink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Former FF/EMT
Name: Chris
Fink's Tacoma Gallery
I hear you guys on the 200lb thing. I'm at about 216lbs right now. When I moved to Florida in 2010 I was about 255lbs or so. Managed to keep it off with a little fluctuation, up to about 225lbs and then back down again.

Good for you guys getting healthy...I've been hitting the low carb thing hard again but with a vacation coming up this week...we'll see how that goes.

Fink
Old 09-08-2013, 02:23 PM   #42160
Motorboatin' SOB
Fink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Former FF/EMT
Name: Chris
Fink's Tacoma Gallery
Several of you guys have this radio and like it, right? About to pull the trigger on at least a truck radio, if not one for the truck and a handheld, both of which this radio seems to accomplish.

Thanks!

Fink

Products Discussed in this Thread