Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Food Talk

Notices

Making Biscuits & Gravy

Old 08-25-2008, 09:26 AM   #1
✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈
neontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shed
neontrail's Tacoma Gallery
Making Biscuits & Gravy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DFsMQC0NCcY
Old 09-08-2008, 06:06 PM   #3
Beware the Puma...
swatjoe592 is just really niceswatjoe592 is just really niceswatjoe592 is just really niceswatjoe592 is just really niceswatjoe592 is just really nice

swatjoe592's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by neontrail View Post
I did this Sunday. It drove my wife nuts that I mysteriously learned how to make sausage gravy AND its better than hers. It may just become my new Sunday ritual. +1
Old 09-08-2008, 06:07 PM   #4
Beware the Puma...
swatjoe592 is just really niceswatjoe592 is just really niceswatjoe592 is just really niceswatjoe592 is just really niceswatjoe592 is just really nice

Disregard the +1. Apparently I have repped you too much in the past. You'll just have to live with the satisfaction of knowing that I tried.
Old 09-08-2008, 08:18 PM   #5
Understand the Voice Within
91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold

Name: Dan
91r100gs's Tacoma Gallery
Made B&G Sunday, it must have been good cuz our guest found a piece of bread and swabbed the pan of every last drop.
Old 09-08-2008, 08:24 PM   #6
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 91r100gs View Post
Made B&G Sunday, it must have been good cuz our guest found a piece of bread and swabbed the pan of every last drop.
thats the way you gotta do it man!!!! sop up every last little bit of it!!!
Old 09-09-2008, 04:20 PM   #7
spp is a splendid one to beholdspp is a splendid one to beholdspp is a splendid one to beholdspp is a splendid one to beholdspp is a splendid one to beholdspp is a splendid one to beholdspp is a splendid one to beholdspp is a splendid one to behold
spp's Tacoma Gallery
That is almost like the way I've been making mine for the last 28 years.
I use one tube of Jimmy Dean (hot is my favorite)
1 onion chopped up fine,
Brown it and add 1/4 cup of Wondra flour to make the ruex,
1 quart of whole milk and heat until thick and salt and pepper to taste.
Even though my family is from the south we never had this at home so I learned to do it myself after I moved out.
Makes a great dinner too!
Old 09-09-2008, 04:48 PM   #8
Beware the Puma...

My stepdad always made it for us for dinner. Called it S.O.S. or shit on shingles (he put it on toast). He was in the military, so I always pegged it for government food, but man it was good.
Old 09-09-2008, 06:23 PM   #9
Understand the Voice Within
91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold

Name: Dan
91r100gs's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by spp View Post
Even though my family is from the south we never had this at home so I learned to do it myself after I moved out.
Makes a great dinner too!
My favorite meal is breakfast for dinner.
Old 09-12-2008, 05:15 PM   #10
spp is a splendid one to beholdspp is a splendid one to beholdspp is a splendid one to beholdspp is a splendid one to beholdspp is a splendid one to beholdspp is a splendid one to beholdspp is a splendid one to beholdspp is a splendid one to behold
spp's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by swatjoe592 View Post
My stepdad always made it for us for dinner. Called it S.O.S. or shit on shingles (he put it on toast). He was in the military, so I always pegged it for government food, but man it was good.
Official SOS is creamed chipped beef on toast.
Same principle using those jars of dried beef slices you see in the market and a milk and flour sauce. I like it!
Old 09-12-2008, 05:30 PM   #11
Ridgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Frank
Ridgerunner's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
YUP You got it Joe! My Pop too..the ol'sh*t on a shingle-but HE always used ground beef on toast. MAN it was a tasty meal for sure and no doubt he got it from the Navy
Old 09-27-2008, 10:45 AM   #12
Beware the Puma...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridgerunner View Post
YUP You got it Joe! My Pop too..the ol'sh*t on a shingle-but HE always used ground beef on toast. MAN it was a tasty meal for sure and no doubt he got it from the Navy
Retired Army. But his was a Navy family, so it's likely his daddy taught it to him and he taught it to me. And now that I think about it, he did use beef for supper, but sausage for breakfast. Never did the chipped, sliced gubment beef. Doesn't sound appealing.
Old 09-27-2008, 05:48 PM   #13
Ridgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Official SOS is creamed chipped beef on toast.
Same principle using those jars of dried beef slices you see in the market and a milk and flour sauce. I like it!
Im sorry I didnt see this post spp! Now that I did I am +1 to your post
Quote:
Retired Army. But his was a Navy family, so it's likely his daddy taught it to him and he taught it to me. And now that I think about it, he did use beef for supper, but sausage for breakfast. Never did the chipped, sliced gubment beef. Doesn't sound appealing.
Yeah Joe I think you gotta use that dried stuff like spp says so it soaks up that gravy better like the burger and sausage
Old 09-28-2008, 04:30 PM   #14
spp's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Im sorry I didnt see this post spp! Now that I did I am +1 to your post

Yeah Joe I think you gotta use that dried stuff like spp says so it soaks up that gravy better like the burger and sausage
I looked for the dried beef at the store the other day. It used to be cheap but now it's close to six bucks for a jar.
Looked up recipes for SOS and found one that was military that called for dried milk as well. Guess that would keep for months at sea so sailors got it everyday to point of hating it.
Old 09-28-2008, 05:11 PM   #16

Quote:
I looked for the dried beef at the store the other day. It used to be cheap but now it's close to six bucks for a jar.
Looked up recipes for SOS and found one that was military that called for dried milk as well. Guess that would keep for months at sea so sailors got it everyday to point of hating it.
Yup I work for a large grocery chain-and I guarantee when an item is suddenly the rave or rare and seldom used but still produced, the price goes up!
Old 09-29-2008, 02:52 PM   #17
spp's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Yup I work for a large grocery chain-and I guarantee when an item is suddenly the rave or rare and seldom used but still produced, the price goes up!
I'll bet that stuff doesn't have a stale date it has a HALF LIFE!