Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Food Talk

Notices

Jerky Recipes

Old 08-29-2008, 08:59 PM   #1
tacohunter will become famous soon enoughtacohunter will become famous soon enough

tacohunter's Tacoma Gallery
Jerky Recipes

Being a hunter... and always looking for new things to do with venison... how about seeing some jerky recipes.

I've experimented with my own and done ok... and I've tried the "off the shelf" variety stuff with nothing really impressing me.

What do all of you out there have to offer that could help the rest of us out?

I like spicy... but not too hot so the rest of the family can enjoy it too. Give up the recipes!
Old 08-29-2008, 09:32 PM   #2
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
a few different ways that we have done it...........and this is doing everything the same way you normally would, and before you put the jerky in the oven......

1-try some cayenne pepper, hot sauce of your choice, butter and lemon juice, mixed together(in a pot on the stove to melt everything together).........and just go by taste......very tasty.

2-montreal steak seasoning and a little garlic
3-a-1 steak sauce and some black pepper

got a few more ideas that im going to try later on, but these have been pretty successful, and the taste, to me and the ones that have tried it, is awesome!!
Old 08-29-2008, 10:01 PM   #3
tacohunter will become famous soon enoughtacohunter will become famous soon enough

RIGHT ON...

Now all I need is some venison to try those out on... Thanks brother!

methinks that all three of those have potential to be winners over here!
Old 08-29-2008, 10:05 PM   #4
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacohunter View Post
RIGHT ON...

Now all I need is some venison to try those out on... Thanks brother!

methinks that all three of those have potential to be winners over here!
try it out amn, and let me know what ya'll think. in the mean time, i'll try some more different ones out and if they are decent, i'll pass them along!!
Old 08-29-2008, 10:11 PM   #5

Keep 'em comin... Shasta ate the last good batch I made and I didn't have the chance to write down the recipe. I was too busy cleaning up the aftermath.

I welcome all suggestions at this point!
Old 08-29-2008, 10:16 PM   #6

here is the other that i tried......jsut remembered that we tried it last go round.

lemon pepper seasoning, butter, and a little lemon juice. mix them in a pot on the stove to melt, them put it on the meat. this one was actually pretty good too......tangy and lemony!!
Old 09-09-2008, 08:50 PM   #7

Bow season opens in 3 weeks... and the temps here have already started dropping to acceptable levels! Mornings are coming in the low 50's... I'm so stoked!

I can already taste the jerky recipes... Thanks Bro! I'm REALLY looking forward to the season of eating well.
Old 09-09-2008, 08:52 PM   #8

Quote:
Bow season opens in 3 weeks... and the temps here have already started dropping to acceptable levels! Mornings are coming in the low 50's... I'm so stoked!

I can already taste the jerky recipes... Thanks Bro! I'm REALLY looking forward to the season of eating well.
our season starts this coming monday. im hurting like hell....but im ready. its still pretty warm here, but i figure, a little cooler in the am than it was last year, and with all the rain we have had thus far, there are tons of mushrooms and vegetation growing where im at, so the deer have alot to feed on!!!

good luck this season buddy!!! fill that freezer up!!! cant wait to hear what ya'll think about the jerky recipes!!!
Old 09-09-2008, 08:59 PM   #9

DOOOOOOD... I was hoping to hear you were feeling better and would be ready to rock. Did you have surgery or anything yet? Any treatment at all to make things better? I haven't been keeping up lately and kinda lost track of the situation... forgive me.

And you were supposed to PM me something... I haven't forgotten that. Have you?
Old 09-09-2008, 09:02 PM   #10

Quote:
DOOOOOOD... I was hoping to hear you were feeling better and would be ready to rock. Did you have surgery or anything yet? Any treatment at all to make things better? I haven't been keeping up lately and kinda lost track of the situation... forgive me.

And you were supposed to PM me something... I haven't forgotten that. Have you?
hey man, nah...no surgery yet. october 3rd is my day of the scheduled surgery. im ready to get it over and done though. but im still gonna be in the woods, cause after the surgery, i wont be able to do anything for about 3 weeks, so i gotta get my time in now while its still quiet. if i have any success, i'll be sure to post bro. you do the same too.

oh yeah.......im sending you a pm now bro!!
Old 09-09-2008, 09:04 PM   #11
mainerinexile is on a distinguished road
mainerinexile's Tacoma Gallery
I really prefer smooth recipes rather than jerky recipes.
Old 09-09-2008, 09:07 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainerinexile View Post
I really prefer smooth recipes rather than jerky recipes.
such as??? we have alotta different recipes man.
Old 09-10-2008, 01:28 AM   #13
Lord of Tomfoolery
genxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
genxer36's Tacoma Gallery
5 pounds elk or venison, use fairly good quality meat
1 cup soy sauce
1/2 cup lime juice
1/2 cup vinegar
1/4 cup crushed red chili flakes
2 tablespoons garlic powder

Slice meat against the grain approximately 3/16 to 1/4-inch thick. It works best if you slice the meat when it is partially frozen. In a bowl mix together soy sauce, lime juice, vinegar, red chili flakes, and garlic powder. Add the meat to the cure and marinate for at least 24 hours, refrigerated.

Rack the meat in a hot smoker and smoke at a low temperature, approximately 100 degrees F, for 1 to 2 days until almost crispy. Don't over dry or the jerky will be too crunchy. Store, well wrapped, in non-frost free freezer for up to 1 year.
Old 09-10-2008, 01:36 AM   #14
Lord of Tomfoolery
genxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
genxer36's Tacoma Gallery
From Alton Brown - Food Guru

Jerky Recipe courtesy Alton Brown, 2004

From the Great Big Food Show

2 pounds red meat (although you can use elk, bear, venison, wild boar or just about any other critter you can hunt. I stick with beef such as top round steak, flank steak or brisket) Brine:
2/3 cup Worcestershire sauce
2/3 cup soy sauce
2 teaspoons ground black pepper
2 teaspoons onion powder
1 teaspoon liquid smoke
1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1 tablespoon honey

Place the meat in the freezer for 1 hour, so that it will be easier to cut.

Slice the meat with the grain as thin as humanly possible.

Mix brine ingredients right in a resealable plastic bag (placing the bag inside a large plastic container will make this easier.)

Place meat strips in brine. Move the meat around so the marinade is evenly distributed around it. Seal bag, working out as much air as humanly possible.

Lay bag flat in the plastic container and refrigerate for 3 to 6 hours.

Remove meat from the brine and drain on cooling racks. Discard the brine.

When the meat is dry place it inside Blo-hard 3000 and set fan to medium. Leave overnight or for at least 12 hours.
If you don't find yourself in possession of a Blo-hard 3000, place strips directly on oven racks.

Heat oven to lowest setting and use a blob of foil as a wedge to hold door ajar.

Oven-dry overnight or until meat reaches a consistency of your liking.

Store in zip-top bag or jar in a cool dark place for 30 or 40 years or until fuzzy stuff starts to grow on it.