Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Food Talk

Notices

Eggplant parm

Old 02-09-2011, 10:07 AM   #1
come on fhqwhgads
pittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shed

pittim's Tacoma Gallery
Question Eggplant parm

I've never made it, or eaten it for that matter, but thanks to monday's "holiday" i'll be doing both...so I need some help.

Every single recipe I'm seeing says bread bake/fry eggplant, then sauce eggplant cheese layer & bake.

1) I have a mini deep fryer somewhere, so I'm trying to decide whether to bake or fry em to cook em. Anybody ever have it cooked both ways and can tell a difference? If not I'll probably bake em since it'll be easier and healthier.

2) I was reading some people salt the eggplant then rinse it off to get rid of some of the bitterness that eggplant apparently has (i have no idea, i've never eaten it.) i was thinking of using some garlic salt to add a little flavor to em.

3) For the breading, can I add powered parm to it or just leave it be?

Old 02-09-2011, 10:12 AM   #2
the Nightman cometh!
jjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
jjew18's Tacoma Gallery
1) - I would not deep fry, eggplant gets soggy real easily. Try pan frying and then broil to crisp and then add the sauce and cheese to melt (don't broil too long).

2) - Blanching is what it is called, it is not needed, but won't hurt. I don't notice the difference.

3) - Yes, but the flavor may not come out as much as you want.
Old 02-09-2011, 10:33 AM   #3
Hello, my name is Maser... and I'm an alcoholic
maser is on a distinguished road

Name: Chris
maser's Tacoma Gallery
pan-fry it til a little crispy, then add cheese/sauce then bake to melt cheese......mmm I'm hungry now.
Old 02-09-2011, 11:22 AM   #4
the Nightman cometh!
jjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
jjew18's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by maser View Post
pan-fry it til a little crispy, then add cheese/sauce then bake to melt cheese......mmm I'm hungry now.
Yeah, I had to leave and go get lunch.

Welcome, I see you are from Fort Worth, we were trying to get a meet together last week then armegedon struck, but we'll try again soon so keep an eye out.
Old 02-09-2011, 11:38 AM   #5
Hello, my name is Maser... and I'm an alcoholic
maser is on a distinguished road

Name: Chris
maser's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjew18 View Post
Yeah, I had to leave and go get lunch.

Welcome, I see you are from Fort Worth, we were trying to get a meet together last week then armegedon struck, but we'll try again soon so keep an eye out.
Cool, will do.
Old 02-10-2011, 02:22 PM   #6
aficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shed
aficianado's Tacoma Gallery
you have to slice the eggplant and salt it,. then let it sit on a rack to lose all the water..then rinse them clean and proceed with the recipe.