Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Food Talk

Notices

How long do you keep food before throwing it away......

Old 09-07-2008, 07:33 PM   #1
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
How long do you keep food before throwing it away......

I was told as a kid by my parents to keep food in the fridge. As long as its refridgerated, it wont go bad. Well, I moved out, got my own place, and made a nice Thanks Giveing Turkey. It was WONDERFULL. As I was a poor college student, I kept food as long as I could. That March, I came home from work hungry, and found my beutiful Turkey. It had a cool metalic sheen to it, but looked YUMMY! So I ate it! Not long after did I realize that food does indeed go bad after a certain amount of time in the fridge. I, since being educated in the pain of bochalism, now only keep food for 3 days. My wife disagrees with this, thinking it will last longer. I have poisoned myself too many times, so I ask you all, how long is too long?
Old 09-07-2008, 07:36 PM   #2
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
I was told as a kid by my parents to keep food in the fridge. As long as its refridgerated, it wont go bad. Well, I moved out, got my own place, and made a nice Thanks Giveing Turkey. It was WONDERFULL. As I was a poor college student, I kept food as long as I could. That March, I came home from work hungry, and found my beutiful Turkey. It had a cool metalic sheen to it, but looked YUMMY! So I ate it! Not long after did I realize that food does indeed go bad after a certain amount of time in the fridge. I, since being educated in the pain of bochalism, now only keep food for 3 days. My wife disagrees with this, thinking it will last longer. I have poisoned myself too many times, so I ask you all, how long is too long?
hey man...im right there with ya. if its been 3 days in the fridge....and i havent eaten it yet...it goes to the trash can. but........the left overs rarely see a trash can here....as im what my wife calls "our garbage disposal"!!!!!
Old 09-07-2008, 07:38 PM   #3
Bourbon
EquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Casey
EquinsuOcha's Tacoma Gallery
Most food lasts up to 7 days under refrigeration of 41 degrees Fahrenheit. I just finished my first sanitation class in culinary school, and that was all we talked about. Thanks for letting me use something I learned Chris!
Old 09-07-2008, 07:41 PM   #4
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!
tigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: beat cop...putting bad people in jail
Name: Jeff
tigerfan00's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomaman06 View Post
hey man...im right there with ya. if its been 3 days in the fridge....and i havent eaten it yet...it goes to the trash can. but........the left overs rarely see a trash can here....as im what my wife calls "our garbage disposal"!!!!!
OOH OK now i get it

i was trying to figure out what chris meant by keeping food vs throwing it away

rarely does my trashcan see any food
Old 09-07-2008, 07:46 PM   #5
San Antonio Detailer :)
Anthony will become famous soon enough
Anthony's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Anthony
3-4 days here

however... this topic brings up another point i am curious about.

When you buy a packaged item, say a dip of some sort or yogurt, etc. Where its bought refrigerated and has a date on it.
Do you believe that whenever you open the item, as long as you keep it in the fridge, its good up till that date on it?
Or that it can be kept refrigerated unopened and still be good up till that date?
Old 09-07-2008, 07:49 PM   #6
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
3-4 days here

When you buy a packaged item, say a dip of some sort or yogurt, etc. Where its bought refrigerated and has a date on it.
Do you believe that whenever you open the item, as long as you keep it in the fridge, its good up till that date on it?
Or that it can be kept refrigerated unopened and still be good up till that date?
i think everything packaged is different, but like yogurt and stuff like that....i have opened it on the last day of its expiration date...unopened till then, and its been bad. and i do mean spoiled.
Old 09-07-2008, 07:49 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerfan00 View Post
OOH OK now i get it

i was trying to figure out what chris meant by keeping food vs throwing it away

rarely does my trashcan see any food
were you having a blonde moment??
Old 09-07-2008, 07:50 PM   #8
Bourbon
EquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
3-4 days here

That food is only good until the expiration date, period. If it says good till 09/15/08 and you open it on 09/16/08, it should be thrown away.
Old 09-07-2008, 07:51 PM   #9
buyobuyo is just really nicebuyobuyo is just really nicebuyobuyo is just really nicebuyobuyo is just really nicebuyobuyo is just really nice

buyobuyo's Tacoma Gallery
For leftovers, I would say 1-2 weeks, but 2 weeks is stretching it.
Old 09-07-2008, 07:51 PM   #10
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!
tigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
were you having a blonde moment??
no i just dont know what leftover food means

and speaking of which...didnt you say you were leaving to go eat

if youre not going to enjoy boobs' cooking then ill come up there and do it!
Old 09-07-2008, 07:53 PM   #11

Quote:
no i just dont know what leftover food means

and speaking of which...didnt you say you were leaving to go eat

if youre not going to enjoy boobs' cooking then ill come up there and do it!
man..........im heating up my shredded beef burrito......and its taking a while! so....no, boobs aint cooking tonite!!!!! you can come and try her cooking though.....aint too bad, well....what she cooks anyway!!

leftover food is what goes in the fridge that ya dont eat all of during a meal.
Old 09-07-2008, 07:53 PM   #12
Wrath of the runbird
Bakemono is on a distinguished road

Bakemono's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Bakemono
I typically throw leftovers out after 5 days.
Old 09-07-2008, 07:54 PM   #13
buyobuyo is just really nicebuyobuyo is just really nicebuyobuyo is just really nicebuyobuyo is just really nicebuyobuyo is just really nice

buyobuyo's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by EquinsuOcha View Post
That food is only good until the expiration date, period. If it says good till 09/15/08 and you open it on 09/16/08, it should be thrown away.
Bah. Only in the commercial food industry. Milk will generally last 3-7 days after the expiration date. My general rule of thumb is if it smells funny chunk it. If it smells alright, give it a little taste. If it tastes bad, throw it out.
Old 09-07-2008, 07:55 PM   #14
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!

Quote:
man..........im heating up my shredded beef burrito......and its taking a while! so....no, boobs aint cooking tonite!!!!! you can come and try her cooking though.....aint too bad, well....what she cooks anyway!!

leftover food is what goes in the fridge that ya dont eat all of during a meal.
shredded beef burritos...mmmm

i had steak and chicken on the grill tonite...plus a salad and green beans...and some sauteed mushrooms

roommates girly cooked!
Old 09-07-2008, 07:56 PM   #15
Bourbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by buyobuyo View Post
Bah. Only in the commercial food industry.
You're right, but it's also the safest practice.
Old 09-07-2008, 07:57 PM   #16
Justin626 has much to be proud ofJustin626 has much to be proud ofJustin626 has much to be proud ofJustin626 has much to be proud ofJustin626 has much to be proud ofJustin626 has much to be proud ofJustin626 has much to be proud ofJustin626 has much to be proud of

Justin626's Tacoma Gallery
I like it to show a little bush first.

I appologize.
Old 09-07-2008, 07:57 PM   #17

Quote:
shredded beef burritos...mmmm

i had steak and chicken on the grill tonite...plus a salad and green beans...and some sauteed mushrooms

roommates girly cooked!
damn man.....that sounds pretty good!!!!!

i hope the burrito is ok......it came from the earth fare grocery store. next time...im getting the ribs...they looked killer!!!
Old 09-07-2008, 07:58 PM   #18
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin626 View Post
I like it to show a little bush first.

I appologize.
WOW

i dont like bush on ANYTHING i eat

Quote:
damn man.....that sounds pretty good!!!!!

i hope the burrito is ok......it came from the earth fare grocery store. next time...im getting the ribs...they looked killer!!!
earth fare?? wtf is that?? sounds like a hippie joint
Old 09-07-2008, 08:00 PM   #19

Quote:
WOW

i dont like bush on ANYTHING i eat

earth fare?? wtf is that?? sounds like a hippie joint
......you got it man.........its a health food type store, with alotta other fresh stuff. what i have eaten there so far..........pretty damn good, and the steaks and seafood there looks amazing!!
Old 09-07-2008, 08:15 PM   #20
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
......you got it man.........its a health food type store, with alotta other fresh stuff. what i have eaten there so far..........pretty damn good, and the steaks and seafood there looks amazing!!
That reminded me of a place we have out here. I has an Ameriacn name, but I went in there and it was all Cineese. I went to the "Fresh meat" section, and it was a big steel pool about 100 feet long. Some little Chineese dude points at something under water, and the little Chineese "Bear Grills" dude behind the counter jams his arm in the water, pulls out a pretty good size fish that was fighting for it life, throws it on a sheet of paper, and with blinding ninja speed, it was filletted and wrapped in paper before I could imagine! Then, I proceded to walk further down to see what other kinds of fish they had, and noticed the octopus's slithering around, and a couple feet further, a bunch of eyes looking at me. Thats when I realized that it wasnt for me. Havent been back since. I guess it was "Too" fresh.