Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Food Talk

Notices

if you have a Weber kettle grill..and you like fried chicken

Old 03-08-2011, 09:10 AM   #1
aficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shed
aficianado's Tacoma Gallery
if you have a Weber kettle grill..and you like fried chicken

make grill baked "fried" chicken. super easy. i use a store bought product. a "shake/bake" product called DIXIE FRY. dust the chicken pieces, set it on a rake to gell up and dry. re-dust..shake off axcess..and let it sit while the coals get hot.
lay the coals waaaaay over on either side. spray the middle with PAM, and set the chicken down. skin side up. 20 mins later flip it, and close the lid again. 20 mins flip it back skin side up..then close the lid again. i pull it when the thigh pieces reach 175 or so. if you do not have a thermometer, i guess you need to cut into a piece.

it is so good. crispy, not greasy..smokey...done
Attached Thumbnails
if you have a Weber kettle grill..and you like fried chicken-dsc_0002.jpg   if you have a Weber kettle grill..and you like fried chicken-dsc_0003.jpg  
Old 03-08-2011, 09:13 AM   #2
Hello, my name is Maser... and I'm an alcoholic
maser is on a distinguished road

Name: Chris
maser's Tacoma Gallery
I like fried chicken !!
Old 03-08-2011, 09:19 AM   #3
RLDTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedRLDTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedRLDTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedRLDTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedRLDTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedRLDTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedRLDTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedRLDTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedRLDTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedRLDTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedRLDTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bob
RLDTACO's Tacoma Gallery
Looks tasty! The only way I have made chicken on my kettle is with a rotisserie. I'll have to give your way a try.
Old 03-08-2011, 12:35 PM   #4
10PreRunner will become famous soon enough10PreRunner will become famous soon enough
Name: Kevin
10PreRunner's Tacoma Gallery
The chicken looks great but I have one question. Why do you cook it to 175? Chicken is done at 165. You could even pull it off the grill at around 155 to 160 and let it rest, it will finish to a perfect 165. Other than that I really like the fried/grilled idea, def. gonna try it. Please don't take this suggestion the wrong way, I'm not trying to be an ass.
Old 03-08-2011, 01:54 PM   #6
aficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shed
aficianado's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10PreRunner View Post
The chicken looks great but I have one question. Why do you cook it to 175? Chicken is done at 165. You could even pull it off the grill at around 155 to 160 and let it rest, it will finish to a perfect 165. Other than that I really like the fried/grilled idea, def. gonna try it. Please don't take this suggestion the wrong way, I'm not trying to be an ass.
great question!! i typically only use thighs, with the bone. i like to let the dark meat go higher. white meat is perfect at 160. with darkmeat at 160 you will still hit the occasional pink stuff. the darkmeat is more moist, so it can take the beating better. when it gets up near 165 to 175, things start happening very fast. get ready to move them off. hehe.

+ the pieces are relatively small, so the carry-over heat is minimum. and i get the skin super crispy, so i dont tent with foil. i dont want any steam to sog the skin.

hope this helps?
Old 03-09-2011, 11:36 AM   #7
dogbite is a jewel in the roughdogbite is a jewel in the roughdogbite is a jewel in the rough
dogbite's Tacoma Gallery
The thigh is still pink at 165. Safe to eat yes, but freaks a lot of people out. Dark meat loses it's pinkness and bloody juices at about 170.
Old 03-09-2011, 12:04 PM   #8
himmy33 is on a distinguished road

himmy33's Tacoma Gallery
num num num num... Well u have made me hungry now!!