1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Home Grilled Steak

Discussion in 'Food Talk' started by plee33, Mar 17, 2011.

1. Jun 29, 2011 at 12:34 PM
    angrysam

angrysam Huh?

Member:
    First Name:
    Sam
    Somebody's Shit List
    Vehicle:
    2.9 Gen- Not a cunt.
    Fleshlight and an old Farrah Fawcett poster.
    • Cloves garlic, minced: 5-10 depending on the amount of steak. (Or you can use about 2 teaspoons of the pre-minced garlic in the jar)
    • 2 tablespoons olive oil
    • 2 teaspoons salt
    • 2 teaspoons ground black pepper
    • 2 teaspoons basil
    • 2 teaspoons dried thyme
    Mix it all together, rub the steak down with it on both sides and let it sit covered in the fridge for at least an hour.

2. Jun 29, 2011 at 12:45 PM
    T@co_Pr3runn3r

T@co_Pr3runn3r XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Member:
    <----------------->
    Vehicle:
    08 RC Prerunner SR5
    Terriyaki & Tony Chachere's.......Wishbone Robusto Italian & Lemon Pepper........

Strip the seeds out of some nice big Jalapeno's, cut them in half lenghtwise and throw them on the grill with whatever you're grillin too. Just grill til bright green is gone and just starting to blacken. Great flavor without the fire alarms.

3. Jun 29, 2011 at 8:18 PM
    toughtaco

toughtaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    05 tacoma dbl cab short bed
    TRD CAI, MBRP dual exhaust, PIAA headlights and driving lights, 5% limo tint, 3 inch Skyjacker lift , AFE throttle body spacer, 285/70/17 BF Goodright AT TA KO, Grillcraft MX with PIAA's behind the grill, anytime fog light mod, reverse camera anytime mod, and PIAA fog lights on the rear bumper anytime mod light bar behind back window with truck lights for reverse assistance, Optima Red Top Battery, Onza 3x5" LEd reverse lights attached to light bar behind cab
    Thanks, the grill was super hot and the steaks were out for about an hour. I wish that I can make money on my cooking again, referring to your comment about an ad. I have a good grill and lately it's been getting really hot, in the area of over 500 degrees and that makes it easy for the grill marks. I finished the porterhouse off in the oven at 300 degrees with a quarter stick of butter on it, what a good sauce after it was cooked.

4. Jun 29, 2011 at 8:20 PM
    toughtaco

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TRD CAI, MBRP dual exhaust, PIAA headlights and driving lights, 5% limo tint, 3 inch Skyjacker lift , AFE throttle body spacer, 285/70/17 BF Goodright AT TA KO, Grillcraft MX with PIAA's behind the grill, anytime fog light mod, reverse camera anytime mod, and PIAA fog lights on the rear bumper anytime mod light bar behind back window with truck lights for reverse assistance, Optima Red Top Battery, Onza 3x5" LEd reverse lights attached to light bar behind cab
    Thank you, thank you... but seriously I have seen some of the awesome looking food you put out so I take your kudos seriously.

5. Jun 30, 2011 at 8:20 AM
    aficianado

aficianado Well-Known Member

Member:
    bay area, california
    Vehicle:
    2006 access cab. 4x4, TRD-OR + 2023 TRD off-road.
    back to bone stock.
    ^^ i cant make grill marks like that!

i find the area between the grill bars brown to the point that my grill marks get erased. i assume i have too much heat.

doing some steaks this weekend, but i know they wont look like yours..they will taste great..but damn dude..

6. Jun 30, 2011 at 8:22 AM
    aficianado

Member:
    bay area, california
    Vehicle:
    back to bone stock.
    in my other life i was a photographer. we used to use that electric charcoal starter, and "iron" on grill marks for steaks we would shoot. the insides were cold and bloody, but the outsides were grilled perfectly and coated with glycerin. really sinful.

7. Jun 30, 2011 at 8:29 AM
    woodygg

woodygg Well-Known Member

Member:
    So Cal
    Vehicle:
    04 DC Tacoma 4x4
    Only if you're using poor quality meat. I moved from marinades to no marinades and they're definitely better. If you really want to make a good steak and have some sort of other flavor, you want to make sauces, etc. that go on afterwards (think of any good steakhouse). That and maybe a rub instead as marinading is not very effective for adding flavor - cooksillustrated has a good article on how ineffective marinading really is on meats.

Here's a link, but you have to have a subscription to read it. Mine has since expired...

http://www.cooksillustrated.com/howto/login.asp?docid=19793

8. Jun 30, 2011 at 8:33 AM
    Matic

Matic The "OFG" Baby!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Tricky Dick
    Easley, SC
    Vehicle:
    1 owner 2002 TRD, SR5, DC, 2.7. Full OME suspension, STT pro's.
    OME 881 coils with OME nitrochargers shocks up front. TC UCA's OME Dakars with extra leaf in the rear. Warn 8000 winch with 80ft custom braided synth line. Custom 60ft synth extension. All pro tube bumper, Hi-lift jack, Safari Snorkel, Wilco tiregate. 2019 Jeep JLUR.
    No marinades for me, only dry rub.

Salt heavily to bring the sugar out in the meat. Let it sit for room temp for an hour.
    Heavy on the montreal and black pepper.

4 mins per side at 600 degs on the grill and it doesnt get any better than that.
    I prefer rib eye but I did a new york strip this past weekend, same method and it was mouth watering!!

9. Jun 30, 2011 at 8:36 AM
    woodygg

Member:
    So Cal
    Vehicle:
    04 DC Tacoma 4x4
    exactly.

like i said, sauces AFTER if you want them... IF you want to go fancy, buy some demi glace, that is the incredibly rich decant sauce that is often used on foods (especially chicken..).

10. Jun 30, 2011 at 8:38 AM
    theredofshaw

theredofshaw Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Somewhere on the East coast
    Vehicle:
    not a taco (guess that means I can be a MOD now)
    (totaled) 2011 Tacoma DC
  11. Jul 7, 2011 at 9:19 AM
    PeteK

PeteK Well-Known Member

Member:
    Brockton, MA
    Vehicle:
    2017 Cement Truck
    Good steak just needs salt & pepper. Go with a coarse sea salt grinder and fresh ground black pepper. Should only be grill marks in one direction. If you have criss crosses, then you're opening the grill too much. Cook over charcoal.

A tip: If you have a non-so-great piece of steak, marinade it in Coke (soda, not powder).

Pictured below: Prime quality Costco NY strip I ate last night.
    [​IMG]

12. Jul 7, 2011 at 9:25 AM
    AsianAnts

AsianAnts just an AnT

Member:
    First Name:
    AnT
    Southern California (San Diego County)
    Vehicle:
    2011 PreRunner TRD Sport L/B Grey Metallic
    -Satoshi Grille Upper/Lower/Triangles -LED Map Lights, LED Dome Light, LED License Plate Lights -No front license -Wet Okole -Weather Techs (digi) -Running Boards -Bed Extender -AFE Cold Air Intake 2SI Dry Filter -Tailgate Hose-Clamp Mod, Tailgate washer Mod -Combi chain lock on bed extender -no chime w/ key in ignition & open door -Fog Light anytime -Slim Cubby's 3kHID fog -bumper plugs -keyhole plug -TRD license plate frame -combi-lock storage -rear TSB -window tint -camera mod -Painted radiator/engine covers -LS460 RetroFit -Bed Tie-Downs -LED Gauge Cluster, radio, clock and AC -Bed Mat -Extra DRings -Painted center console, radio unit, ac panel, overhead console.
  13. Jul 7, 2011 at 12:17 PM
    aficianado

Member:
    bay area, california
    Vehicle:
    back to bone stock.
    PETEK! that looks great.

but i disagree. pros love putting those 45deg angle grill marks on their steaks. they turn them slightly partially thru the cooking time. it is not an indication of opening the grill too much.

i'm no pro. but isnt a "lid down" approach more of a gas grill thing? a good charcoal fire is usually lid off, right?

14. Jul 8, 2011 at 6:28 AM
    PeteK

PeteK Well-Known Member

Member:
    Brockton, MA
    Vehicle:
    2017 Cement Truck
    Opening the grill too much leads to heat loss, therefore inconsistant cook times, which result in unexpected results. Maybe I'm a bit of a nazi?

And the lid on keeps the oxygen low, therefore resulting in less flare-ups. Flame is bad. Heat is good. Expecially with well marbled steaks. They drip fat and if the lid is closed, it'll just sizzle away on the coals. If open, it get more oxygen and therefore makes flames, which then burns portions of the meat. I use a Weber kettle, and it is designed to bounce heat off the lid back onto the meat. So the lid isn't there to hold up the grill cover when not in use, it actually serves a purpose during cooking.

All I know is the steaks I do are the best I've ever had, and others say the same, so I think some of my steps are right! :D

15. Jul 8, 2011 at 4:35 PM
    toughtaco

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Dont forget that you only have to flip your steaks once.

16. Jul 8, 2011 at 4:46 PM
    Tacomanator

Tacomanator Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Clam Slammer
    Southern Cali
    King 2.5" extended travel coilovers with compression adjusters, Camburg UCA's, King 2.5" rear shocks, TRD 1st gen CAI.
    Nothing but sea salt, pepper and garlic salt for me. I also brush a little melted butter on it once I take it off the grill, then let it sit for about 5 min.

17. Jul 9, 2011 at 9:08 AM
    woodygg

Member:
    So Cal
    Vehicle:
    04 DC Tacoma 4x4
    really no right or wrong answer to that - they can be done either way.

he did have a flare up issue, which can help some by keeping the lid on. some finish in the oven, or over indirect heat.

you guys need to try using cast iron heated up really high, puts a better crust on it IMO.

18. Jul 9, 2011 at 9:18 AM
    Andrew H

Andrew H What is this "search" you speak of?

Member:
    Dirty Tucson
    Vehicle:
    2017SSMDCSBTRDS
    jesus i really want a steak right now.

19. Jul 9, 2011 at 9:22 AM
    Maverick904

Maverick904 Resident Fishing Expert

Member:
    First Name:
    Kameron
    Northeast Florida
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Rugged Trail 4x4
    3" Procomp Lift, BDF Light Bar, Borla Stainless Cat-Back System, 2 10" Polk MM Subs, LED Interior Lighting, Pioneer Touch Screen, Kicker Speakers up front, Sonys in the back, Grillcraft grill, 20% tint, Weathertechs, Projector Retrofit Headlights. BHLM
    this

20. Jul 30, 2011 at 1:02 AM
    toughtaco

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Thanks

Thanks I had the grill over 500 degrees F so that helped a little.

Plus I just learned how to use the multi post quote option. That is cool!!

Products Discussed in

To Top