Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Food Talk

Notices

HOW TO: Doubleheader - Mushroom Rice and Seared Citrus Tuna

Old 03-27-2011, 08:19 AM   #1
Cranky & often armed sysadmin
Xaks is one of the sharper tools in the shedXaks is one of the sharper tools in the shedXaks is one of the sharper tools in the shedXaks is one of the sharper tools in the shedXaks is one of the sharper tools in the shedXaks is one of the sharper tools in the shedXaks is one of the sharper tools in the shedXaks is one of the sharper tools in the shedXaks is one of the sharper tools in the shedXaks is one of the sharper tools in the shedXaks is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Xaks
Xaks's Tacoma Gallery
HOW TO: Doubleheader - Mushroom Rice and Seared Citrus Tuna

You're getting a double-header today gang. This is actually two recipes that I use frequently, but I must keep separate, as the rice from the first step is worth its own mention. My wife raves about it and its a good addition to a lot of dishes.

Here we go!

First, start assembling your goodies...you know how I hade stopping in the middle to run to the store...

Ingredients

*2 teaspoons butter
*6 mushrooms, coarsely chopped
*1 clove garlic, minced
*1 green or sweet yellow onion, finely chopped
*2 cups veg broth
*1 cup uncooked white rice
*1/2 teaspoon chopped fresh parsley or oregano
*salt and pepper to taste

Melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat.Sweat mushrooms, garlic and green onion until mushrooms are cooked and liquid has evaporated...5 min, stirring often.

Stir in broth and rice. Season with parsley/oregano, salt and pepper. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes.

That's it on this step. Now, we move on to the tuna!

*2 lemons
*1 orange
*2 tblsp olive oil
*salt, black pepper to taste
*oregano, basil to taste (tsp each)
*2 5 oz Ahi tuna steaks

Quarter the citrus and gather the juice in a zip-top bag.

You don't need a big fancy machine to do this.
Add in the olive oil, salt & pepper, oregano & basil. Shake (close the bag first please) and add tuna. Place in a plastic container, suck out the air, and seal. Stick it in the fridge for a while, let it do its thing.

I like to let mine chill for 15 or 20 mins, flip it over, then 15 mins on the other side. Much more than an hour and it gets a little too citrusy, if you get my meaning...is that even a word?

Anyhow, whip out the nonstick and heat a couple tablespoons of peanut oil. Yes peanut oil. Neutral flavor and a high smoke point make it perfect for fish. What, don't believe me? Fine. Try this with olive oil and get back to me...you'll destroy it.

Pinch of salt, a wee bit of pepper. I saved a couple wedges of lemon and orange before, I use one of each here to brighten the flavor.

With bigger, thicker steaks like this, it took 2.5 minutes per side to get the desired medium-rare I wanted...

Viola! Plate with the rice you made earlier and something else, if you like. I used asparagus as I really like the bitter greens to offset the tartness of the citrus.