Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Food Talk

Notices

Gluten free diets

Old 04-07-2011, 08:22 AM   #21
Addicted
flightcancled is one of the sharper tools in the shedflightcancled is one of the sharper tools in the shedflightcancled is one of the sharper tools in the shedflightcancled is one of the sharper tools in the shedflightcancled is one of the sharper tools in the shedflightcancled is one of the sharper tools in the shedflightcancled is one of the sharper tools in the shedflightcancled is one of the sharper tools in the shedflightcancled is one of the sharper tools in the shedflightcancled is one of the sharper tools in the shedflightcancled is one of the sharper tools in the shed

flightcancled's Tacoma Gallery
I finally figured out this was the source of all my issues too. I have some tolerence which I can play with, but a bowl of pasta or a beer is enough to raise hell.

Has anyone found a gluten-free beer that actually takes like beer? I am just so sick of people telling me "oh I found/made you gluten free _______!" the effort is really sweet, but the results are always so sub-par. My roomie made gluten free brownies made from chick-peas last night. GROSSSSS!!!!!!

I guess once I forget what the real stuff tastes like I will start to like all the imitations, but until then I'll just budget my intake closely.
Old 04-07-2011, 08:30 AM   #22
J-rob
beefcake is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeefcake is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeefcake is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeefcake is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeefcake is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeefcake is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeefcake is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeefcake is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeefcake is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeefcake is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeefcake is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: J-Rob
beefcake's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamSarcasm View Post
O DEAR GOD HOW DO YOU LIVE WITH OUT POPTARTS!
Ditto! poptarts are a staple in the house!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamSarcasm View Post
but i feel you guys with the whole diet thing....i cant eat meat
How can you not eat meat? this is interesting..... like no meat at all?
Old 04-07-2011, 08:41 AM   #23
MTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Weesa
MTgirl's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by superwhite10 View Post
list of restaurants that offer a gluten free menu http://www.glutenfreemenus.net/
Awesome! Thanks for the link...its tough going out ot eat and I usually end up with a salad. Its amazing at how much on restaurant menus is either breaded/fried or served with bread or pasta...it cuts out about 90% of most menus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aficianado View Post
my good friend is gluten free.

in the beginning it was difficult, 15 years ago. but now, it is much much better. every health store or high end grocery store has a gluten free section. you can get everything from chips to pizza, to soy sauce.

good luck.
Its still an emerging thing up here. Most grocery stores only carry a few items and have only done so for the last couple of years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flightcancled View Post
I finally figured out this was the source of all my issues too. I have some tolerence which I can play with, but a bowl of pasta or a beer is enough to raise hell.

Has anyone found a gluten-free beer that actually takes like beer? I am just so sick of people telling me "oh I found/made you gluten free _______!" the effort is really sweet, but the results are always so sub-par. My roomie made gluten free brownies made from chick-peas last night. GROSSSSS!!!!!!

I guess once I forget what the real stuff tastes like I will start to like all the imitations, but until then I'll just budget my intake closely.
Try whole wheat pasta and see what that does. I can eat whole wheat pasta and it doesn't bother me too much but regular, white pasta is a no no. I think its something to do with bleached, enriched flour...

I have a good chocolate chip cookie recipe that I can give you...it tastes almost normal and is made with Bob's Red Mill all purpose flour which is fava bean, garbanzo bean, tapioca and something else. Its OK stuff...Just don't eat the raw dough, that's nasty.
Old 04-07-2011, 08:45 AM   #24
Addicted
flightcancled is one of the sharper tools in the shedflightcancled is one of the sharper tools in the shedflightcancled is one of the sharper tools in the shedflightcancled is one of the sharper tools in the shedflightcancled is one of the sharper tools in the shedflightcancled is one of the sharper tools in the shedflightcancled is one of the sharper tools in the shedflightcancled is one of the sharper tools in the shedflightcancled is one of the sharper tools in the shedflightcancled is one of the sharper tools in the shedflightcancled is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTgirl View Post
Awesome! Thanks for the link...its tough going out ot eat and I usually end up with a salad. Its amazing at how much on restaurant menus is either breaded/fried or served with bread or pasta...it cuts out about 90% of most menus.

Its still an emerging thing up here. Most grocery stores only carry a few items and have only done so for the last couple of years.

Try whole wheat pasta and see what that does. I can eat whole wheat pasta and it doesn't bother me too much but regular, white pasta is a no no. I think its something to do with bleached, enriched flour...

I have a good chocolate chip cookie recipe that I can give you...it tastes almost normal and is made with Bob's Red Mill all purpose flour which is fava bean, garbanzo bean, tapioca and something else. Its OK stuff...Just don't eat the raw dough, that's nasty.
See I'm weird, the bleached flour I can handle if I make it a moderate meal and watch it for the rest of the day. Whole wheat pasta is a different story- I will be hurling by the time I finish a bowl.

Also if I am already nearing my max a glass of milk will do me in and make it even worse

Has anyone else heard of taking enzymes to help break down the glucose/lactose? I tried a sample and then ate a pound of pasta and was fine.
Old 04-07-2011, 08:49 AM   #25
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by KPT View Post
A friend of mine has Celiac's (sp?) disease and he cannot have anything with gluten in it. Is that similar to what you're talking about Lisa or are there different grades of intolerance.....?

He did find a company in MA that micro-brews gluten-free beer
My cousin has this and he switched to hard ciders for a while but recently found that Budweiser now makes a gluten free beer! It's sold under the label RedBridge but it's an Anheuser Busch product. There are a handful of other companies that brew gluten free but they're usually expensive. What company in MA does it, I might have to look it up for my cousin (I'm in MA).

OP, Once my cousin was diagnosed, my family came up with a bunch of gluten free recipes, I'll make some copies and post them up. It's a farm family so they definitely know how to cook, basically the recipes will be good!
Old 04-10-2011, 02:06 PM   #26
MTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shed

MTgirl's Tacoma Gallery
note to self...gluten free breads do not turn out well when baked in bread machines. This is a 1lb loaf which should normally turn out to be about 10" tall...its only about 3"

On the plus side if a make another one I have a nice set of wheel chocks for the truck...OMG IS THAT BREAD DENSE!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Gluten free diets-0410111500a.jpg  
Old 04-10-2011, 02:08 PM   #27
I feel so Devo
tinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tinker_troy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
note to self...gluten free breads do not turn out well when baked in bread machines. This is a 1lb loaf which should normally turn out to be about 10" tall...its only about 3"

On the plus side if a make another one I have a nice set of wheel chocks for the truck...OMG IS THAT BREAD DENSE!!!
What flour did you use?
Tapioca? That stuff is super dense.
Old 04-10-2011, 02:11 PM   #28

MTgirl's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinker_troy View Post
What flour did you use?
Tapioca? That stuff is super dense.
Bob's Red Mill all purpose, you're supposed to be able to swap it out 1:1 with regular flour. Other recipes have turned out great...cookies ... with this stuff. It just isn't good for bread I suppose

http://www.bobsredmill.com/gf-all_pu...ing-flour.html
Old 04-10-2011, 02:21 PM   #29
I feel so Devo
tinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Bob's Red Mill all purpose, you're supposed to be able to swap it out 1:1 with regular flour. Other recipes have turned out great...cookies ... with this stuff. It just isn't good for bread I suppose

http://www.bobsredmill.com/gf-all_pu...ing-flour.html
Ah yeah
Garbonzo and Tapioca.
I try to avoid the Garbonzo. Tried it once when I was figuring out how to make pizza crust and boy, it gave me gas that could kill a canary.
Old 04-10-2011, 02:43 PM   #30

MTgirl's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Ah yeah
Garbonzo and Tapioca.
I try to avoid the Garbonzo. Tried it once when I was figuring out how to make pizza crust and boy, it gave me gas that could kill a canary.
Ahhh...yes. The unfortunate and rarely talked about side effects of the substitute foods.
Old 04-10-2011, 02:55 PM   #31
I feel so Devo

I have a thing around here somewhere for a recipe for a flour substitute. Dunno if it would be cheaper buying all the ingrediants and mixing it as opposed to just buying the mix.
I will dig around and find it and post it up.
Old 04-10-2011, 03:13 PM   #32

MTgirl's Tacoma Gallery
One of the cookbooks I have has a basic flour mix. I've just been using the BRM stuff because I bought it first.
The other mix is:

1-1/2 cups sorghum flour
1-1/2 cups potato starch or cornstarch
1 cup tapioca flour
and xantham gum (amount varies by recipe)
Old 04-11-2011, 06:29 AM   #33
Addicted

My girlfriend pointed out that her mom's friend who can't handle gluten drinks these so I gave them a shot. Definitely awesome to be able to finish a beer without feeling sick! Not the best beer I have ever had, but not bad!
Old 04-20-2011, 11:42 AM   #34

MTgirl's Tacoma Gallery
Gluten free bread - take 2....SUCCESS!!

MMMMM...first sammich in 18 months...

Old 04-20-2011, 01:05 PM   #35
Addicted

.... can I has a sammich?
Old 04-20-2011, 05:35 PM   #36

MTgirl's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by flightcancled View Post
.... can I has a sammich?
NO! Not sharing...but you can haz recipe if you'd like. The bread is okay, sort of bland. But it makes excellent grilled cheese.
Old 04-22-2011, 05:32 PM   #37
Señor Member
AC13JohnG is one of the sharper tools in the shedAC13JohnG is one of the sharper tools in the shedAC13JohnG is one of the sharper tools in the shedAC13JohnG is one of the sharper tools in the shedAC13JohnG is one of the sharper tools in the shedAC13JohnG is one of the sharper tools in the shedAC13JohnG is one of the sharper tools in the shedAC13JohnG is one of the sharper tools in the shedAC13JohnG is one of the sharper tools in the shedAC13JohnG is one of the sharper tools in the shedAC13JohnG is one of the sharper tools in the shed

AC13JohnG's Tacoma Gallery
Update:
Talked to my mom(I honestly avoid it because it usually takes at least two hours on the phone) and she is putting everything together for me regarding the cookbook. I should have it via email in the next week or so and ready to pass on. I am an ametur chef and can honestly say most of the stuff she has forced on me when she came into town was pretty good. As soon as I get it anybody here is welcome to it.
Old 09-30-2011, 08:38 PM   #38
I feel so Devo

with all the talk about cookies on here I thought I would bump this thread and share what might be the best ever wheat free/flour free cookie recipe I have ever come across... Emeril's Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies

Servings: 24 cookies
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 10 minutes

Ingredients:
■1 cup creamy peanut butter (try a variety with no added sugar)
■1/2 cup granulated sugar
■1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
■1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
■1 large egg, beaten
■1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Directions:

1. Position two racks in the center of the oven. Preheat oven to 350°F.

2. Combine all the ingredients in a bowl. Stir with a wooden spoon until smooth.

3. Divide dough into 24 portions (about a Tbs. each) and form into smooth balls. Place on ungreased cookie sheets, spacing them 1 inch apart (about 12 cookies per sheet). Using a fork, press the tops of dough balls in two directions to form a criss-cross.

4. Bake the cookies. Rotate the sheets between oven racks and turn them back to front halfway through baking. When done, cookies will be puffed and lightly golden, about 10 minutes. Remove the baking sheets from the oven and allow your flourless cookies to cool.
Old 10-02-2011, 08:03 PM   #39
I feel so Devo

Above recipe may not work that well for bowls.... back in a minute
Old 10-03-2011, 07:25 AM   #40

MTgirl's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
cookie, yes....

COOKIE!!!

Quote:
cookie bowls, noooo....

Ummm.....cookie?!?!
At least you tried....I will report back on my cookie bowl success/failure later this week.