Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Food Talk

Notices

Gluten free diets

Old 03-29-2013, 01:05 PM   #161
MTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Weesa
MTgirl's Tacoma Gallery
why don't you just make your own?
Old 03-29-2013, 02:16 PM   #162
I feel so Devo
tinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tinker_troy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTgirl View Post
why don't you just make your own?
I have but I make a bigger mess than usual.
Old 03-29-2013, 02:29 PM   #163
Long time lurker, first time poster.
Nirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: Snipe
Name: Kris
Nirvana's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tylerm5000 View Post
I thought gluten-free diets were for people with Celiac disease.

Is it, for some reason, becoming trendy to not eat gluten? Did the bad batch of gluten from China in dog food scare people into thinking all wheat products are bad for us?

Please...

In general I'd say yes. A lot of people are starting to come forward as having intolerances which is really no surprise if you follow the 'paleo' trend, different groups of people around the world ate differently hence why everyone tolerates different foods better than others. In that circle it's pretty much law that cavemen didn't bake bread so humans should never have it, or grains, or...whatever. Take from that what you will. I prefer to eat whole foods without any sort of label on it mostly because I still can't pronounce sodium benzoate so I don't want to eat it.
Old 04-21-2013, 12:59 PM   #164
I feel so Devo
tinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tinker_troy's Tacoma Gallery
http://www.instructables.com/id/Glut...e-Cream-Cones/
Old 10-03-2013, 05:54 PM   #165
MTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shed

MTgirl's Tacoma Gallery
These are awesome!!!! They kinda taste like Keebler Pecan Sandies cookies...which I used to love. Too bad they're so expensive, still a nice treat to have once in a while

Old 10-03-2013, 06:02 PM   #166
HossNFross Per "Oz"
Haslefre is one of the sharper tools in the shedHaslefre is one of the sharper tools in the shedHaslefre is one of the sharper tools in the shedHaslefre is one of the sharper tools in the shedHaslefre is one of the sharper tools in the shedHaslefre is one of the sharper tools in the shedHaslefre is one of the sharper tools in the shedHaslefre is one of the sharper tools in the shedHaslefre is one of the sharper tools in the shedHaslefre is one of the sharper tools in the shedHaslefre is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
Name: Brady
Haslefre's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
These are awesome!!!! They kinda taste like Keebler Pecan Sandies cookies...which I used to love. Too bad they're so expensive, still a nice treat to have once in a while

http://www.pillsbury.com/products/gl...p-cookie-dough
Old 10-03-2013, 06:53 PM   #167
12SuperWhiteDC is one of the sharper tools in the shed12SuperWhiteDC is one of the sharper tools in the shed12SuperWhiteDC is one of the sharper tools in the shed12SuperWhiteDC is one of the sharper tools in the shed12SuperWhiteDC is one of the sharper tools in the shed12SuperWhiteDC is one of the sharper tools in the shed12SuperWhiteDC is one of the sharper tools in the shed12SuperWhiteDC is one of the sharper tools in the shed12SuperWhiteDC is one of the sharper tools in the shed12SuperWhiteDC is one of the sharper tools in the shed12SuperWhiteDC is one of the sharper tools in the shed

12SuperWhiteDC's Tacoma Gallery
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haslefre View Post
Guess I'll be driving all over town tomorrow looking for this. Mixed with some vanilla Ice Cream?

Or I could start with this recipe from them: http://www.pillsbury.com/recipes/glu...7-27053b66d1a9

Old 10-03-2013, 07:05 PM   #168

MTgirl's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12SuperWhiteDC View Post
Guess I'll be driving all over town tomorrow looking for this. Mixed with some vanilla Ice Cream?

Or I could start with this recipe from them: http://www.pillsbury.com/recipes/glu...7-27053b66d1a9

I'll be making these soon...
http://www.bettycrocker.com/recipes/...3-42b7c9991769
Old 10-03-2013, 07:06 PM   #169
T Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shed

T Fades's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haslefre View Post
Concur about this cookie dough. It is SO tasty, doesn't taste or have a wierd texture like some gluten free foods.
Old 10-09-2013, 11:20 AM   #170
coffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shed

coffeesnob's Tacoma Gallery
does celiac disease cause constipation? My poor wife has a heck of a time with that. She also always feels bloated, nauseated a lot, heartburn.
Old 10-09-2013, 11:22 AM   #171
HossNFross Per "Oz"
Haslefre is one of the sharper tools in the shedHaslefre is one of the sharper tools in the shedHaslefre is one of the sharper tools in the shedHaslefre is one of the sharper tools in the shedHaslefre is one of the sharper tools in the shedHaslefre is one of the sharper tools in the shedHaslefre is one of the sharper tools in the shedHaslefre is one of the sharper tools in the shedHaslefre is one of the sharper tools in the shedHaslefre is one of the sharper tools in the shedHaslefre is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
Name: Brady
Haslefre's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeesnob View Post
does celiac disease cause constipation? My poor wife has a heck of a time with that. She also always feels bloated, nauseated a lot, heartburn.
Is it after eating a lot of wheat products? My intolerance is the opposite. I get really gassy and the runs after eating wheat.

Just try a week long gluten free diet. See if she feels better. It's tough to do when first starting out, but it's worth the try.
Old 10-09-2013, 11:25 AM   #172
Nathan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNathan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNathan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNathan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNathan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNathan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNathan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNathan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNathan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNathan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNathan is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Nathan
Nathan's Tacoma Gallery
sub'd, this forum has everything
Old 10-09-2013, 11:31 AM   #173
Nathan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNathan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNathan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNathan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNathan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNathan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNathan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNathan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNathan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNathan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNathan is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Nathan's Tacoma Gallery
I found vans crackers in the local Safeway, good crackers
http://www.vansfoods.com/our-products-crackers
Old 10-09-2013, 11:56 AM   #174
A_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Medicaly Discharged 13M
A_Ninja_Racer's Tacoma Gallery
My Brother has Celiacs disease. He is also Diabetic and can't eat Dairy. At this point he is almost a Vegan. The only non Vegan food that he eats is honey on occasion I really feel for the guy. He has to work so hard to keep his foods Free of gluten contamination but his father doesn't care. He will use a serving spoon that was in a bowl full of pasta to taste something off of one of my brothers gluten free meals. No matter how many times people yell at him he just keeps doing it.
Old 10-09-2013, 12:27 PM   #175

MTgirl's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeesnob View Post
Yes, yes and yes. There are many symptoms that can be attributed to other conditions so celiac/gluten intolerance was easy to misdiagnose. I was sick for close to 20 years and every doctor told me that I had acid reflux. The meds for reflux didn't make me any better so I finally gave up on doctors and had resigned myself to a life of being miserable. I always had horrible heartburn, was nauseated, tired, achy, one day constipated and the next diarrhea. I have also had horrible eczema since I was a baby. After a few weeks gluten free all of my digestive issues were gone and my skin cleared up a lot too. My blood test (the only was you can be 100% certain of celiac) was inconclusive but I felt so tremendously better that I stuck with the diet.
celiac.org has a ton of helpful info if you're just starting to understand the condition
Like Brady said, have your wife go cold turkey for one or two weeks and then reintroduce wheat into her diet slowly. Keep track of what she eats, how much and then how she feels 2, 4, 6... hours afterwards. If her symptoms are eased and then come back with a vengence as soon as wheat is reintroduced into the diet I'd get a doctors appointment right away and have them draw up some blood. BTW - you have to have gluten in your system for hte test to be accurate so have her go back to her regular diet for a week or two before the blood test (if you get to that point). Watch everything that she eats - nothing prepackaged or processed, no restaurants unless the menu clearly states that its a gluten free entree - wheat can be hiding in things that you never imagined. Even chewing gum and toothpaste are off limits if you're really, really severely allergic to wheat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
sub'd, this forum has everything
Hey, if TW can help with tapeworms then gluten free questions should be a breeze.

Welcome to the GF thread! got any favorite fake foods?
Old 10-09-2013, 12:38 PM   #176

MTgirl's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Ninja_Racer View Post
My Brother has Celiacs disease. He is also Diabetic and can't eat Dairy. At this point he is almost a Vegan. The only non Vegan food that he eats is honey on occasion I really feel for the guy. He has to work so hard to keep his foods Free of gluten contamination but his father doesn't care. He will use a serving spoon that was in a bowl full of pasta to taste something off of one of my brothers gluten free meals. No matter how many times people yell at him he just keeps doing it.
Sounds like dad is just being ignorant on purpose - does he know how sick a person can get if their food is contaminated?
Maybe y'all just need to get into a habit of sneezing in dad's food or something to teach him a lesson.
Old 10-09-2013, 01:20 PM   #177
Nathan's Tacoma Gallery
Nah, I've gotten away from the fake food. It seems like it's always expensive or labor intensive. I could always use some quick/ cheap/ heathy-ish ideas though.
I've been gluten free for around 10 years now and things sure have changed
Old 10-09-2013, 01:29 PM   #178
A_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Medicaly Discharged 13M
A_Ninja_Racer's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Sounds like dad is just being ignorant on purpose - does he know how sick a person can get if their food is contaminated?
Maybe y'all just need to get into a habit of sneezing in dad's food or something to teach him a lesson.
yeah he just doesn't care, Its Sad though because I don't even live there and I can be mind full about my brothers food when ever I come to visit for dinner. and the man that lives there all the time can't respect his own son enough to remember that once you touch a food with gluten in it you can't use that same utensil in food that is gluten free because you will contaminate it.
Old 10-09-2013, 04:51 PM   #179
coffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shed

coffeesnob's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Yes, yes and yes. There are many symptoms that can be attributed to other conditions so celiac/gluten intolerance was easy to misdiagnose. I was sick for close to 20 years and every doctor told me that I had acid reflux. The meds for reflux didn't make me any better so I finally gave up on doctors and had resigned myself to a life of being miserable. I always had horrible heartburn, was nauseated, tired, achy, one day constipated and the next diarrhea. I have also had horrible eczema since I was a baby. After a few weeks gluten free all of my digestive issues were gone and my skin cleared up a lot too. My blood test (the only was you can be 100% certain of celiac) was inconclusive but I felt so tremendously better that I stuck with the diet.
celiac.org has a ton of helpful info if you're just starting to understand the condition
Like Brady said, have your wife go cold turkey for one or two weeks and then reintroduce wheat into her diet slowly. Keep track of what she eats, how much and then how she feels 2, 4, 6... hours afterwards. If her symptoms are eased and then come back with a vengence as soon as wheat is reintroduced into the diet I'd get a doctors appointment right away and have them draw up some blood. BTW - you have to have gluten in your system for hte test to be accurate so have her go back to her regular diet for a week or two before the blood test (if you get to that point). Watch everything that she eats - nothing prepackaged or processed, no restaurants unless the menu clearly states that its a gluten free entree - wheat can be hiding in things that you never imagined. Even chewing gum and toothpaste are off limits if you're really, really severely allergic to wheat

Hey, if TW can help with tapeworms then gluten free questions should be a breeze.

Welcome to the GF thread! got any favorite fake foods?

wow, I'll pass it along thanks