1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Gluten free diets

Discussion in 'Food Talk' started by MTgirl, Apr 5, 2011.

1. Apr 5, 2011 at 6:19 PM
    MTgirl

MTgirl [OP] too many frogs, not enough princes... Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Weesa
    Bob's secret mod lair
    Vehicle:
    Then: 12 T4R SR5 Now: 99 - 3.4L SR5 4WD
    Wheeler's/Alcan 5-pack leaf springs, OME 881's, de-badged, Jungle Fender Flares, Herculined bed, HomerTaco grille, Anzo headlights, clear corners,
    Anyone else here on a gluten free diet? Have any recipes or tips to share?

I have been slowly trying to go 100% wheat, barley and rye free - about 18 months now. I have an intolerance to gluten that messes with my entire digestive system and I've suffered my whole life never knowing why I've felt so crummy! I've cut out the majority of foods but I can't give up pasta! :drool: Its a treat now...a small serving of whole wheat pasta once a week. Well, and beer too. Can't give up beer, but it doesn't bother me.

2. Apr 6, 2011 at 5:58 PM
    beefcake

beefcake J-rob

Member:
    First Name:
    J-Rob
    Central California
    Vehicle:
    98 4WD V6
    Debadged,Deck Plate mod, Helix throttle body spacer, magnaflow two chamber, smoked corner marker lamps, cb radio, smoked headlights, grillcraft mesh grill, URD short throw shifter, ultagauge, billstein 5100 front struts, spidertrax 1.25 spacers on all four
    hmm, im not on a gluten free diet, but recently my dad has started a gluten free diet due to the same things you're talking about. He pretty much sticks to meat and potatoes but things like pancakes...bisquick makes a good gluten free mix, i think it is better than the regular stuff. Some of the bread is ok, but just not the same as regular bread, the best i tried what rice bread. Also he found a gluten free beer made by Anheiser Busch (however you spell it) it's called "redbridge" the beer is actually pretty good and comparable to newcastle

3. Apr 6, 2011 at 6:06 PM
    TexasTacoma37

TexasTacoma37 Well-Known Member

Member:
    A friend of mine has Celiac's (sp?) disease and he cannot have anything with gluten in it. Is that similar to what you're talking about Lisa or are there different grades of intolerance.....?

He did find a company in MA that micro-brews gluten-free beer :cheers:

4. Apr 6, 2011 at 6:09 PM
    AC13JohnG

AC13JohnG Señor Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Black 5 lug
    My mother has been working on a cook book for people with celiac disease for the last couple years, she has it too. Pm me your email and I'll see what I can get for you.

5. Apr 6, 2011 at 6:28 PM
    MTgirl

Member:
    First Name:
    Weesa
    Bob's secret mod lair
    Vehicle:
    Wheeler's/Alcan 5-pack leaf springs, OME 881's, de-badged, Jungle Fender Flares, Herculined bed, HomerTaco grille, Anzo headlights, clear corners,
    Celiac disease is the name of it. I can't actually claim to have it though...you have to take a blood test to see if you have Celiac disease and in order for the blood test to work you have to have a fairly high concentration of gluten in your system. I didn't know that when I went to the doctor and I had been weaning myself off of wheat,etc for about 4 months so I couldn't do the test. From what I described to the doctor, he was pretty much convinced, blood test or not, that I had Celiac disease. All I know is that by avoiding the majority of wheat, barley and rye in my diet; I feel a million times better than I ever have.

For years (since I was about 10 years old) the doctors told me that I had acid reflux...heartburn, nausea, stomach cramps, diarrhea, etc. They would give me some horribly expensive prescription medicine and send me on my way. Well the meds never worked and I gave up on the doctors and started researching on my own. A friend of my mom's was diagnosed with Celiac's a couple of years ago and when she told me her symptoms it sounded exactly like what I had experienced. That was when I started down this path...

I know that this is going to be a permanent lifestyle change for me and I'm trying to go 100% gluten free by the end of this year. In the meantime I've been trying out different products and recipes to replace all of the foods that I have been deprived of so far.

Gluten free Bisquick is great - I have a good banana bread recipe for it
    Betty Crocker cake mixes are good to, a little drier then you would like but good.
    Bob's Red Mill (expensive!) has a few good products too. I've been using their all purpose flour for a few things and you can tell a slight difference in taste but if you didn't know that it was fake flour you wouldn't notice. I've made cookies and pizza crust so far and I love it!

6. Apr 6, 2011 at 6:37 PM
    tinker_troy

tinker_troy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    T R O Y
    WY/SD
    Vehicle:
    #3, 2015 SR AC 4x4 V6 6 speed
    shackle brace, rear sway bar, 3 gen seats, Coupe Shifter, 3rd gen OR front springs + shocks, 17" TuRD PRO replica wheels
    I am allergic to wheat and potatoes. Sucks but after a few years you get used to it. Worst part is having to tell people (especially females when we go out for the first time)... oh and not being able to eat pop-tarts, GOD I would love me some pop-tarts.

Anyway, as far as good info, I usually just research recipies on the web or I have 'The Kid Friendly Food Allergy Cookbook' which is pretty good.

7. Apr 6, 2011 at 7:26 PM
    MTgirl

Member:
    First Name:
    Weesa
    Bob's secret mod lair
    Vehicle:
    Wheat AND potatoes? Well that's got to be rough since most of the wheat free stuff has potato starch in it.

I have a couple of gluten free cookbooks...some of the stuff sounds good. I just have to find the time to bake!

8. Apr 6, 2011 at 7:41 PM
    tinker_troy

tinker_troy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    T R O Y
    WY/SD
    Vehicle:
    #3, 2015 SR AC 4x4 V6 6 speed
    shackle brace, rear sway bar, 3 gen seats, Coupe Shifter, 3rd gen OR front springs + shocks, 17" TuRD PRO replica wheels
    Also (and you most likely already know this) almost every cambell's soup has wheat in it as a filler. Also Doritos Nacho Cheese chips have wheat... but not the spicy nacho ones.

9. Apr 6, 2011 at 7:43 PM
    WizzyTRDTXPRO

WizzyTRDTXPRO Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    William
    Nebraska
    Vehicle:
    TRD TX PRO 4x4
    I have 2 friends completely allergic to gluten I can try go get some recipes for you.

10. Apr 6, 2011 at 7:46 PM
    6spdtaco

6spdtaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    VT
    Vehicle:
    Taco
    My girl friend is gluten intolerant. Her diet is completely gluten free.
    Pamela's baking mix makes great pancakes/cookies. There are tons of gluten free pasta, just have to look a little closer on the shelves at the store. Its really good. We have found gluten free chicken noodle soup, crackers, brownie mix, and probably a bunch more I can't think of. Montana Harvest on Willson has one of the best gluten free selections in town that I have found. Woodchuck hard cider is really good, and you can find other beer like beverages at Town and Country.

11. Apr 6, 2011 at 7:52 PM
    TeamSarcasm

TeamSarcasm Flawless Escalation to the Ludicrous

Member:
    The better coast
    O DEAR GOD HOW DO YOU LIVE WITH OUT POPTARTS!

12. Apr 6, 2011 at 7:54 PM
    TeamSarcasm

TeamSarcasm Flawless Escalation to the Ludicrous

Member:
    The better coast
    but i feel you guys with the whole diet thing....i cant eat meat

13. Apr 6, 2011 at 8:01 PM
    MTgirl

Member:
    First Name:
    Weesa
    Bob's secret mod lair
    Vehicle:
    *sigh* you had to mention Doritos didn't you :drool:
    Its amazing what does have gluten in it...once you get around to reading labels. And its frustrating going out to eat or going to a friends house for dinner.

Montana Harvest? Never heard of it! But I will be going there soon...right now most of the specialty shopping is done at either Town & Country or Rosauer's

14. Apr 6, 2011 at 10:53 PM
    beefcake

beefcake J-rob

Member:
    First Name:
    J-Rob
    Central California
    Vehicle:
    98 4WD V6
    Debadged,Deck Plate mod, Helix throttle body spacer, magnaflow two chamber, smoked corner marker lamps, cb radio, smoked headlights, grillcraft mesh grill, URD short throw shifter, ultagauge, billstein 5100 front struts, spidertrax 1.25 spacers on all four
    find the time to bake? arent you usualy in the kitchen?:p

15. Apr 6, 2011 at 11:04 PM
    stevenstaco

stevenstaco B A N N E D

Member:
    First Name:
    steven
    sacramento ca
    Vehicle:
    o7 trd sport sr5 4x4/06 4runner sr5 4x4
    1.5 aal,Tacomaworld sticker,Blacked out tail lights,bhlm,.dumped exhaust,relocated 7 pin ,rear diff breather mod,bed lights,hella 500s behind the grill,plastidipped lower vallance,mag light mod,debadged,black billit grill,bedmat mod,airaid intake,vynil armrests and back rests,tailgate theft mod, ipod interface,backseat cargo mod,front 5100s
    My gf has been on this organic trip since ive met her 4 1/2 years ago since she does all the cooking I am too:D We buy all organic and gluten free when we shop (which makes our food bills alot more expensive) we even do group buys with friends on free range cattle and get 150lbs of meat at a time. free range beef and chicken is sooo much better than the processed stuff you can really taste the difference. when we do have pasta its with wheat pasta and we have pasta alot (shes italian)

16. Apr 6, 2011 at 11:25 PM
    superwhite10

superwhite10 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Garner, NC
    my girlfriends mom also has celiacs disease and from being with my gf and around her mom for so long i know what you guys are talking about. i know there are some restaurants that offer a gluten free menu (ill try and put a list together) and she also buys the gluten free bisquick etc like you guys mentioned. and because she got so excited when she first found it, theres a brand called Udi's. they make breads and such that are gluten free. here is the link to their website http://www.udisglutenfree.com/ any other info i can get i will post it for you guys to see

17. Apr 6, 2011 at 11:28 PM
    tvbd56

tvbd56 Epic Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    Sacramento, Ca
    Vehicle:
    2018 Black DCLB OR 4x4
    a girl that i work with and have been hanging out with, idk if she is full blown celiac's, i think she's just gluten intolerant but she has cut it out of her diet completely and never had the same pains as before.

For her birthday i took her to The Old Spaghetti Factory... she loves pasta, and she was mad at me cause i brought her to a italian resturant and she couldn't have pasta. So we got our table and i told her to look at the menu and they have GLUTEN FREE PASTA, she said that it was actually really good!

so if you have one near you i recommend you go. BTW they are cheap as hell for a sit-in restaurant;)

2 big plates of pasta and two big shakes for $23!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! that's pretty damn good if you ask me

18. Apr 6, 2011 at 11:33 PM
    stevenstaco

stevenstaco B A N N E D

Member:
    First Name:
    steven
    sacramento ca
    Vehicle:
    o7 trd sport sr5 4x4/06 4runner sr5 4x4
    1.5 aal,Tacomaworld sticker,Blacked out tail lights,bhlm,.dumped exhaust,relocated 7 pin ,rear diff breather mod,bed lights,hella 500s behind the grill,plastidipped lower vallance,mag light mod,debadged,black billit grill,bedmat mod,airaid intake,vynil armrests and back rests,tailgate theft mod, ipod interface,backseat cargo mod,front 5100s
    good to know thanks

19. Apr 6, 2011 at 11:36 PM
    superwhite10

superwhite10 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Garner, NC
  20. Apr 7, 2011 at 8:05 AM
    aficianado

aficianado Well-Known Member

Member:
    bay area, california
    Vehicle:
    2006 access cab. 4x4, TRD-OR + 2023 TRD off-road.
    back to bone stock.
    my good friend is gluten free.

in the beginning it was difficult, 15 years ago. but now, it is much much better. every health store or high end grocery store has a gluten free section. you can get everything from chips to pizza, to soy sauce.

good luck.

Products Discussed in

To Top