Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Food Talk

Notices

Foodies BS Thread.

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-19-2012, 09:11 AM   #3981
Cranky & often armed sysadmin
Xaks is one of the sharper tools in the shedXaks is one of the sharper tools in the shedXaks is one of the sharper tools in the shedXaks is one of the sharper tools in the shedXaks is one of the sharper tools in the shedXaks is one of the sharper tools in the shedXaks is one of the sharper tools in the shedXaks is one of the sharper tools in the shedXaks is one of the sharper tools in the shedXaks is one of the sharper tools in the shedXaks is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Xaks
Location: south Florida - not from here though, I can count AND spell
Xaks's Tacoma Gallery
Tomato Sausage Soup ver. 2.0

This is my tomato sausage soup, after about two years of making it monthly and tweaking it as I went along. This is the recipe that's actually printed out on paper and next to the stove in the 'go-to' pile now.

Ingredients:
* 1 pound hot Italian sausage
* 1 pound medium Italian sausage
(note - if you don't like spicy heat, use all medium or garlic sausage)
* 1 sweet onion, chopped
* 2 (14 ounce) cans petite cut or diced tomatoes (do NOT drain!)
* 6 cups (or 2x26oz) stock - I use beef and chicken, home-made is best, but store bought is OK
* 2 tablespoons basil (or italian spice mix, if you have that)
* 2 cups pasta - I use egg noodles, but you can also use spirals, penne, whatever
* about 5 whole garlic cloves, minced
* 1 cup chopped celery
* 1 cup chopped carrots
* 1 cup chopped mushrooms (fresh is best)
* 1 1/2 - 2 cups shredded cabbage
* black pepper to taste

As usual, I prep all my ingredients before starting to cook. I like having everything laid out so I don't wind up missing something. The cat wandered in and decided to supervise...she is so spoiled rotten it isn't even funny.

Here it is, all portioned out. I like using paper plates (disposable/recyclable/compostable) to hold things.

Directions:

1. In a soup pot, cook sausage over medium heat until no pink remains. Stir often, using medium high heat. Only put a wee bit of olive oil in the pan for the start...fat will cook off quickly and prevent further sticking.

2. Add onions, mushrooms, celery, and carrots. Cook uncovered until onions and celery are soft. I cook a minute, stir the whole mess, cook another minute, stir vigorously, cook another minute, stir, etc. Takes 8-10 minutes for it to all cook down.

3. Add tomatoes (including juice), stock, cabbage, garlic, and basil. Bring to a boil. Lower heat and simmer for about 50ish minutes, stirring every 10. Yes, this will look vaguely like one of satan's bowel movements. Trust me, your patience will be rewarded.

4. Stir in pasta and cover. Simmer for 10 minutes, or until pasta is tender to your liking.

Season with salt & pepper to taste. Serve.

Old 08-19-2012, 09:18 AM   #3982
Gone But Not Forgotten
ImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
Name: Susan
ImpulseRed008's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaks View Post
This is my tomato sausage soup, after about two years of making it monthly and tweaking it as I went along. This is the recipe that's actually printed out on paper and next to the stove in the 'go-to' pile now.

Ingredients:
* 1 pound hot Italian sausage
* 1 pound medium Italian sausage
(note - if you don't like spicy heat, use all medium or garlic sausage)
* 1 sweet onion, chopped
* 2 (14 ounce) cans petite cut or diced tomatoes (do NOT drain!)
* 6 cups (or 2x26oz) stock - I use beef and chicken, home-made is best, but store bought is OK
* 2 tablespoons basil (or italian spice mix, if you have that)
* 2 cups pasta - I use egg noodles, but you can also use spirals, penne, whatever
* about 5 whole garlic cloves, minced
* 1 cup chopped celery
* 1 cup chopped carrots
* 1 cup chopped mushrooms (fresh is best)
* 1 1/2 - 2 cups shredded cabbage
* black pepper to taste

As usual, I prep all my ingredients before starting to cook. I like having everything laid out so I don't wind up missing something. The cat wandered in and decided to supervise...she is so spoiled rotten it isn't even funny.

Here it is, all portioned out. I like using paper plates (disposable/recyclable/compostable) to hold things.

Directions:

1. In a soup pot, cook sausage over medium heat until no pink remains. Stir often, using medium high heat. Only put a wee bit of olive oil in the pan for the start...fat will cook off quickly and prevent further sticking.

2. Add onions, mushrooms, celery, and carrots. Cook uncovered until onions and celery are soft. I cook a minute, stir the whole mess, cook another minute, stir vigorously, cook another minute, stir, etc. Takes 8-10 minutes for it to all cook down.

3. Add tomatoes (including juice), stock, cabbage, garlic, and basil. Bring to a boil. Lower heat and simmer for about 50ish minutes, stirring every 10. Yes, this will look vaguely like one of satan's bowel movements. Trust me, your patience will be rewarded.

4. Stir in pasta and cover. Simmer for 10 minutes, or until pasta is tender to your liking.

Season with salt & pepper to taste. Serve.

Old 08-19-2012, 09:24 AM   #3983
I owe it all to little chocolate donuts
JayDirt is one of the sharper tools in the shedJayDirt is one of the sharper tools in the shedJayDirt is one of the sharper tools in the shedJayDirt is one of the sharper tools in the shedJayDirt is one of the sharper tools in the shedJayDirt is one of the sharper tools in the shedJayDirt is one of the sharper tools in the shedJayDirt is one of the sharper tools in the shedJayDirt is one of the sharper tools in the shedJayDirt is one of the sharper tools in the shedJayDirt is one of the sharper tools in the shed

JayDirt's Tacoma Gallery
Captain Jack's

Here's the bone in prime rib from Captain Jack's in Sunset Beach.

Old 08-19-2012, 09:39 AM   #3985
xSectionxEightx is one of the sharper tools in the shedxSectionxEightx is one of the sharper tools in the shedxSectionxEightx is one of the sharper tools in the shedxSectionxEightx is one of the sharper tools in the shedxSectionxEightx is one of the sharper tools in the shedxSectionxEightx is one of the sharper tools in the shedxSectionxEightx is one of the sharper tools in the shedxSectionxEightx is one of the sharper tools in the shedxSectionxEightx is one of the sharper tools in the shedxSectionxEightx is one of the sharper tools in the shedxSectionxEightx is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
xSectionxEightx's Tacoma Gallery
Foodies BS Thread.-imageuploadedbytapatalk1345394317.064186.jpg Just caught lunch!
Old 08-19-2012, 09:48 AM   #3986
BigFoot aka Sasquatch
krap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
krap22's Tacoma Gallery
Breakfast TaterTot Caserole

Old 08-19-2012, 10:13 AM   #3988
Boerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: (South Africa) Mechanized Infantry. 1 SAI Btn
Name: Ferdie
Boerseun's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayDirt View Post
Here's the bone in prime rib from Captain Jack's in Sunset Beach.

Old 08-19-2012, 10:24 AM   #3989
That's a fact Jack!
Pope953 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPope953 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPope953 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPope953 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPope953 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPope953 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPope953 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPope953 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPope953 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPope953 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPope953 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Wesley
Pope953's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pope953 View Post
Anyone have experience making Hibachi? My girlfriend is nuts about Hibachi (chicken or shrimp) and I told her I would learn to make it for her so I could make it for her down the road.

So anyone have experience with it?
Bump ^^^
Old 08-19-2012, 11:05 AM   #3990
JayDirt is one of the sharper tools in the shedJayDirt is one of the sharper tools in the shedJayDirt is one of the sharper tools in the shedJayDirt is one of the sharper tools in the shedJayDirt is one of the sharper tools in the shedJayDirt is one of the sharper tools in the shedJayDirt is one of the sharper tools in the shedJayDirt is one of the sharper tools in the shedJayDirt is one of the sharper tools in the shedJayDirt is one of the sharper tools in the shedJayDirt is one of the sharper tools in the shed

JayDirt's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by AsianAnts View Post
HOLY CRAP!!!

how much was that?? loooks gooooooooood
I want to say it was $39.95
Old 08-19-2012, 11:10 AM   #3991
coffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shed

coffeesnob's Tacoma Gallery
just dug my jerky recipe out...
Old 08-19-2012, 11:56 AM   #3992
aficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shed
aficianado's Tacoma Gallery
spare ribs on the grill right now.

this is them prior to the slathering of homemade sauce.
Attached Thumbnails
Foodies BS Thread.-dsc_0002.jpg  
Old 08-19-2012, 12:04 PM   #3993
aficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shed
aficianado's Tacoma Gallery
After slather. Foodies BS Thread.-imageuploadedbytapatalk1345403034.122558.jpg
Old 08-19-2012, 12:18 PM   #3994

JayDirt's Tacoma Gallery
Deb Fries from Eat at Joe's in HB.

Fries
Cheese
Bacon
Grilled Onions
Pepper for the colon!

Old 08-19-2012, 01:12 PM   #3995
Polymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Polymerhead's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by xSectionxEightx View Post
Attachment 165628 Just caught lunch!
Nice. I'd be turning it into sushi!
Old 08-19-2012, 01:15 PM   #3996
04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Zach
04LTtacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeesnob View Post
just dug my jerky recipe out...
Sounds good.
Old 08-19-2012, 04:18 PM   #3997
Lieutenant Dan.
DeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Lieutenant
DeeKay21's Tacoma Gallery
Wow!! Looks great everybody!! ^^^
Old 08-19-2012, 05:11 PM   #3998
pkjr is one of the sharper tools in the shedpkjr is one of the sharper tools in the shedpkjr is one of the sharper tools in the shedpkjr is one of the sharper tools in the shedpkjr is one of the sharper tools in the shedpkjr is one of the sharper tools in the shedpkjr is one of the sharper tools in the shedpkjr is one of the sharper tools in the shedpkjr is one of the sharper tools in the shedpkjr is one of the sharper tools in the shedpkjr is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Pete
pkjr's Tacoma Gallery
Wesley - I don't have a hibachi recipe to help out, but maybe try searching google for ideas and recipes to start with?

Everything has been looking really good here the last few days!

Simple breakfast burrito... eggs, cheese, potatoes.... called the "Country" burrito at Filiberto's here in Phoenix.
Old 08-19-2012, 05:31 PM   #3999
That's a fact Jack!
Pope953 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPope953 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPope953 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPope953 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPope953 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPope953 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPope953 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPope953 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPope953 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPope953 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPope953 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Wesley
Pope953's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkjr View Post
Wesley - I don't have a hibachi recipe to help out, but maybe try searching google for ideas and recipes to start with?
Thanks man. I figured that would be easiest maybe. But I just figured I'd see if anyone had any experience with it.
Old 08-19-2012, 06:09 PM   #4000
pkjr is one of the sharper tools in the shedpkjr is one of the sharper tools in the shedpkjr is one of the sharper tools in the shedpkjr is one of the sharper tools in the shedpkjr is one of the sharper tools in the shedpkjr is one of the sharper tools in the shedpkjr is one of the sharper tools in the shedpkjr is one of the sharper tools in the shedpkjr is one of the sharper tools in the shedpkjr is one of the sharper tools in the shedpkjr is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Pete
pkjr's Tacoma Gallery
Here you go, Wesley, I just found this recipe and might try it myself this week. Easy to follow and looks great.
http://www.food.com/recipe/hibachi-c...ed-rice-408318

Products Discussed in this Thread